Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Matt and I’ve got a great new project for you. We want to build a commuter vehicle and we need your help.

This vehicle will be affordable and eco friendly. The features and aesthetics will be chosen entirely by popular vote. The more people who engage in voting the better. So please share the facebook poles, and get your friends and family involved.

All results will be posted on our web page, including an interactive 3D model. As the building begins we will log the build on our YouTube channel for everyone to follow along with. When done the vehicle will be tested and revised by vote. This repeats till the vehicles last vote.

Last vote, The vehicle is good. Yes or no. If you’re in, show us some love! First vote starts tomorrow 2/14/2020. Each vote lasts 2-3 days. Should be enough time to allow everyone to talk and vote. Y

See the video for an introduction.

See the web page for more details.

See our FaceBook to follow the votes.
Centurial

Subscribe to our YouTube channel to follow the design and build.
Centurial Inc

·
Registered
664 Posts
I really don't need a DIY home built commuter motorcycle, so I'll stay out of the voting, but I bet you get others that are interested. Again, Good Luck on your project.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Wot we need is a double loop frame, similar to the old Norton Featherbed frame. This is to house the batteries. We need a ( thinking ) 24 volt DC motor. That way we can use 4 six volt batteries. Drive can be chain. Stay with the brakes and wheels from the original bike, unless they are too heavy. We need a capacitor to capture regenerative braking. The area where the tank would normally go can be used for storage. What is missing from many bikes is a decent fairing. The bike needs to have as little wind resistance as possible, and be as light as possible. Try and aim for about 350 pounds.remove every tab and bits not required too reduce weight.

UK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wot we need is a double loop frame, similar to the old Norton Featherbed frame. This is to house the batteries. We need a ( thinking ) 24 volt DC motor. That way we can use 4 six volt batteries. Drive can be chain. Stay with the brakes and wheels from the original bike, unless they are too heavy. We need a capacitor to capture regenerative braking. The area where the tank would normally go can be used for storage. What is missing from many bikes is a decent fairing. The bike needs to have as little wind resistance as possible, and be as light as possible. Try and aim for about 350 pounds.remove every tab and bits not required too reduce weight.

UK
I'm very happy your into the build.

The body and likely the frame will be 100% scratch built for performance reasons. Weight reduction, areo, and fitment of all the parts. I do not have the knowledge to scratch build the electrics. I had in mind a conversion kit. We buy the conversion kit with regenerative braking built in I found one for 989$ US. should do the job. What do you think?

Also I found quite a few gas options out there brand new, less than 500$ US 49cc with electric start.

Ultimately all of this will be decided in the voting. Can't wait to get started. tomorrow the first vote will start. Probably get size and storage out of the way first.

Best Matt

·
On The Road Again!
3,393 Posts
No insurance required???
Not in New Jersey!!! If it's got a motor and it's on the road, it must be insured!
I don't know where you are, since you didn't fill in your profile, but that
wouldn't fly here. ( or roll here. LOL!!)
Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No insurance required???
Not in New Jersey!!! If it's got a motor and it's on the road, it must be insured!
I don't know where you are, since you didn't fill in your profile, but that
wouldn't fly here. ( or roll here. LOL!!)
Good luck with your project!
Sorry about that. I'll finish my profile today. I'm in AZ so anything gas 49cc or less does not require insurance. And if electric the motor can not exceed 750 watts. registration is easy as well. But every state is different. It's an open source project so each individual will need to figure out their own states laws. And thank you for the support. I'm excited. I'll post the first vote latter today.
Best Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Vote

Let's get the big one out of the way. This will affect the design, and cost, the most. So this is where we will start.

Power Plant.

Gas, Electric, Pedal, Pedal Assist

Make your case to the group. You can reply here if you like with your vote. Make only 1 choice. But the web page for the project has the vote on it and is automatic. It would help a lot If you voted there and talked about it here. Go to http://www.centurialinc.com/commuter-car vote is at the bottom of that page.

I'm going with gas, it's easy, I know it well and the cost to go electric is 2 times more expensive at least. Fast refueling longer range. No pedals. Any thoughts?

Best Matt

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
If it is in the low, as in very low power output, I will bow out. There are already plenty of anemic scooters about. Most of the power plants are Chinese. Say no more. A lot of their stuff does not work. I am referring to both gas and E power.
There are plenty of cheap E power scooters, and plenty of cheap gas ( 49cc ) powered scooters. It is not enough giddyup IMO. 40hp or 30,000 watts I think is the equivalent. Might not need that much with E power. Anyway, 4 six volt batteries with lots of amps. Probably weigh 200 pounds. The frame, wheels and motor make up most of the rest.

There are already Chinese made 60cc 2 stroke motors, for about $150, that can be fitted to a mountain bike. 50 mph is attainable. Best to get suspension and disc brakes. Cheap most places on account of the pedals, and no insurance most places. Bit of a scam, but I do now make the rules.

An early, about 1980, Yamaha 360 or 400 double loop frame with the front disc would be a good unit to copy, or get one for close to nothing.
For the DIY guys, stuff a newer 500 motor in this frame and go like stink for cheap.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,794 Posts
If you vote for pedal assist don't you still have to vote for the alternate power plant? And if pedal assist I think UK is right, why go to the trouble of creating yet another wimp. Go big or don't go at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is in the low, as in very low power output, I will bow out. There are already plenty of anemic scooters about. Most of the power plants are Chinese. Say no more. A lot of their stuff does not work. I am referring to both gas and E power.
There are plenty of cheap E power scooters, and plenty of cheap gas ( 49cc ) powered scooters. It is not enough giddyup IMO. 40hp or 30,000 watts I think is the equivalent. Might not need that much with E power. Anyway, 4 six volt batteries with lots of amps. Probably weigh 200 pounds. The frame, wheels and motor make up most of the rest.

There are already Chinese made 60cc 2 stroke motors, for about $150, that can be fitted to a mountain bike. 50 mph is attainable. Best to get suspension and disc brakes. Cheap most places on account of the pedals, and no insurance most places. Bit of a scam, but I do now make the rules.

An early, about 1980, Yamaha 360 or 400 double loop frame with the front disc would be a good unit to copy, or get one for close to nothing.
For the DIY guys, stuff a newer 500 motor in this frame and go like stink for cheap.

UK
Very good arguments. That's why it's up to you what I build. The vote is Gas, or Electric, Or pedal, Or pedal assist. Once that is decided then the next vote logically is to what extent.

If it's pedal of any kind by popular vote then that's what the people want and I can design around that.

But!

If gas is the popular vote..... And there have been very few gas votes so far..... Then we need to decide what engine...... I'm staring at my old YZF 2003 450 and that would be a perfect donor for the project. OR, if you all have it your way and overwhelm the voting...... Please do. You guys are the most enthusiastic group I have. Then I would consider a sport bike Engine. like a 600,650,675 range. It's a commuter so I'm not going to allow for anything over 675.

Then we vote on more "looks" type stuff, 2-3-4 wheels, seating, storage, and so on. Please go to the website to cast your vote or cast it here in the Forum and I account for it.

But if most of you don't like the concept and don't vote then the project just doesn't have any decent momentum. I'll just end up building what I want and that will be that.

Best Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Voting finished. Not many votes. 7 total. But, I got a lot of feed back from everyone. Some of it was the dumbest and meanest s**t you can think of. But some of you know what your talking about and made some very good suggestions that I took. You know who you are and I thank you for your positive input. I also want to thank the haters. You motivate me to prove you wrong. You know who you are and I thank you for that.

Soooooo. I took that feed back and revised the concept.

In first place. Gas with 4 total votes LOL.
In second place. Peddle/assist 2 votes
In third place. electric 1 vote

Most did not want three wheels. Makes sens you all ride..... So a motorcycle it is. GAS! 150cc or larger. highway legal? I will do my best but that is a hard goal to reach. Surface streets for sure.

Here is the new concept. the large wheels are out riggers that catch the bike and prevent tipping. They will be retractable. Hate it? Love it? you decide...... Next vote starts soon. I will let you know when it opens.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Streamlining is good. Outriggers not so much. 250 cc can give enuf oomph to be useful. Weight kills everything, just as resistance does. Weight creates resistance, same with air drag. Skinny tires have less resistance.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,794 Posts
Looks good but the outriggers could be much smaller to reduce weight. I understand UK's concern about weight but he's not an old fart about to have to go to a trike. So if possible and still accomplish your goal I'd keep them. This from and old fart.:D :D :D

Reactions: Centurial

·
American Legion Rider
21,794 Posts
Here ya go then. This be your challenge to see if you can beat what has already been done years and years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here ya go then. This be your challenge to see if you can beat what has already been done years and years ago.
That's cool but way to difficult to replicate. I am not building gyros to balance it.

I'll do my best to beat that. Ideally, unlike the past all these projects died, our project will survive and be a real product. Remember it's open source. So when we are all done. It's released as a digital download. That way if someone out there has more resources to bring it to market they can. And that's why I wanted this to be a community project. I want your input to give it the best chance of survival.

I'm waiting for a FaceBook pole to end next Friday then the next vote will start. I appreciate everyone's participation.

Best Matt

·
American Legion Rider
21,794 Posts
If you could incorporate an electric motor, possibly 2 if this becomes an electric vehicle which I think it should be, but with a second E-motor you could drive a gyro. This would be great if you could and then you could get rid of outriggers. Thinking way outside the box here. That was the reason for my post above, to show it's been done and it was done years and years ago. Surely we have advanced a little in that time.

Reactions: Centurial
1 - 20 of 35 Posts