Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400
77 Posts
Vito, you should try some heated clothing to extend the riding season and get the season going a little sooner in the spring, especially with the Can-Am you have, you could easily add another month to the end and start of the season. I have a First Gear 90W heated jacket and gloves, and the grips on two of my bikes (Concours1400 and ST1100) are heated. I'm in northern MA, not far from the New Hampshire border and can ride comfortably in 20 deg weather. As long as the roads are clean, no salt or snow, I'll go for a ride. The heated gear has saved me a few times on rides home from NH. I leave for a ride north late morning when it was 50-60. Start heading back home after the sun goes down and it's getting near 40. Turn the gear on and I go from teeth chattering to warm smiles. The gear plugs into the bike so I never have to worry about batteries, the controller is blue tooth so the only wire I have to think about is one coaxial connector from the jacket to the bike, love it!

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
303 Posts
" You might be surprised about your 1984 Brazilian Honda CB125S too. "

I AM surprised .

When new Honda couldn't give these away in the U.S.A., most were donated to trade schools and the like .

Now everywhere I ride it folks ask me about it....

Go figure .

·
Ace Tuner
3,764 Posts
Houston is a possibility but I'm not 100% happy with the job choices I would have there.
I was all set to recommend you consider Houston thinking maybe you could work in your field at Bush Intercontinental Airport. It is located on the north side of Houston not far from some fine East Texas country back roads that bring a smile to my face when there. :) Lots of National Forest land out that way to explore if that appeals to you. There are bugs and Hillbillies out here though. (Not that there is anything wrong with Hillbillies). Most are happy to help a stranger, open the door for a lady and such, every time.

:LOL: My time is when I can no longer remain vertical and by then, they might lift my road license for being too old, so I may as well just stick with riding the ditches, besides which public roads are boring unless you can do double the posted speed limit and pop wheelies at will, everybody knows that :alien:
Yep, everybody knows that. ;)

S F

·
Ace Tuner
3,764 Posts
Come on folks, keep the conversations going!
I have an idea but... :cautious:

From the thread
" What did you do with your bike today? "
Looking at the plugs I took out gives me an idea for a thread about spark plug condition and different engine types... Hum. (Requires Pics).
We've seen those photos / charts that can still be found on the net of what a spark plug is supposed to look like when everything is working right. (Fuel mixture strength, not burning oil, sufficient octane and that).
Most of those really do not apply to the latest four, and earlier five valve Yamaha engines. One reason I like to do jet kits and and such on the two valve engines like V-Star 650's and 1100's is that the old rules of reading spark plugs still apply but the MAIN reason is that the spark plugs are easy to get to. You don't have to disassemble half the motorcycle to see a spark plug.

How many would be interested in contributing to a conversation about reading spark plugs from various engine types, in a positive way?
Sound off folks... Interested?

S F

·
Visionary
5,411 Posts
I was all set to recommend you consider Houston thinking maybe you could work in your field at Bush Intercontinental Airport. It is located on the north side of Houston not far from some fine East Texas country back roads that bring a smile to my face when there. :) Lots of National Forest land out that way to explore if that appeals to you. There are bugs and Hillbillies out here though. (Not that there is anything wrong with Hillbillies). Most are happy to help a stranger, open the door for a lady and such, every time.

Yep, everybody knows that. ;)

S F
Yeah, I've been to Houston many times on business, that airport is one of our big hubs and we have thousands of employees there. If I was in most any other department it would be a perfect choice but the way things are set up there most of the facility maintenance is outsourced to vendors, we do have management there that runs all the programs but I'd be managing vendors, not employees and I'm not sure I'd enjoy that as much as what I do now. I think mostly that I'd miss the interaction with the front line team that we have here.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
303 Posts
Uh, oh ~

FWIW, I love the great state of TEXAS, it has everything you could possibly want and far more .

It's vast and so makes for good touring / tourist country .

It has a boom then bust economy and always has so make sure you can handle this before you move there .

me, I don't want to move there but never pass up an opportinity to visit, especially the wide open spaces of West (by God) TEXAS .

Spark plugs :

The modern mix of "Motor Fuel" (it's decidedly NOT gasoline) burns far cleaner so the center insulator and ring should be close to white, maybe gray on the center insulator .

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Spark plugs :

The modern mix of "Motor Fuel" (it's decidedly NOT gasoline) burns far cleaner so the center insulator and ring should be close to white, maybe gray on the center insulator .
Fresh plug chop right out of my TRS 300cc 2-stroke:
Fuel is half premium pump gas, half GT260 race fuel and then I run near 100:1 Sabre pre-mix.
Plug has many hours on it. ... thumbnail is kinda dirty.
Bike uses the same 3$ spark plug as a small chainsaw so you can buy them almost anywhere.

Hand Automotive tire Finger Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cool .

I only run 4 strokes so I imagine the inner insulator is good ? .

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I can tell you she runs awesome, & my 4-stroke trials bike takes very expensive plug.
If the 4RT engine misses a beat ever, it's the plug breaking up or the air filter is dirty or there is water in the connector on the throttle body.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Cool .

I only run 4 strokes so I imagine the inner insulator is good ? .
On the 4-stroke it's often the inner insulator that cracks and it sparks up inside the gap between the insulator and steel spark plug body.

I should maybe use a stereo microscope and light it up like crazy next time, that would show way more detail

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Paula ! .

Ride hard, far and wide but ALWAYS SAFELY please .

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
I think it's amazing how long modern plugs last.
I have no idea how old the plugs in my Goldwing are.
It still has the same plugs in it that were in it when I got it 40,000 miles ago.
I've never pulled them to look at 'em. The bike runs as good as it ever did.
Starts on first touch, smooth as silk and never misses a beat.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It kinda depends on the spark plug typ and brand as well as what engine you put them into .

I tried platinum plugs when they first came out, I found the center electrodes began to eat away before 10,000 miles .

Went back to copper cored NGK's and nary a problem .

I think the lack of tetra-ethyl lead in the fuel is why they last so long now . (?)

·
Visionary
5,411 Posts
The original standard NGK plugs in my bikes start idling rough at around 40k even though they look fine. I switched to NGK iridium and they appear to be immortal, I’ve got 90k miles on the one set, runs like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Zip
2,613 Posts
I put Autolite platinum plugs in my Beemer boxer in the spring of 2020 and haven't looked at them since. The bike is still purring like a kitten and growling like a tiger.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good deal ! .

This proves what I try to get others to grasp : there's no final "by the book" in Mechanics ~ each machine (yes, even the Japanese and German ones :sneaky: are slightly different and you can adjust or 'Peak & Tweak' until your particular machine suits your particular needs / location .

41 - 60 of 75 Posts