Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Visionary
5,411 Posts
I am always up for a good thread jack. Oh man, if I was relocating in the States I'd be heading to anywhere inside the triangle of Nashville TN, Charlotte NC, and Atlanta GA. Arguably some of the best motorcycle roads in the world, year around riding, and less of the summer heat of Florida. You would be close to the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc.
I'd love to move there, my brother actually recently retired and moved to a suburb of Knoxville, great area for the future maybe but it's not really an option with the locations that I have for my job unless I make some changes.

Reactions: -Nate and Tinsnips

·
Visionary
5,411 Posts
About the same, the trees caught most of the snow so the woods are still very ridable and there is no frost in the ground so it won't stay long. No need for tire studs yet.

Long range weather forecast looks encouraging for the race this weekend, hope it doesn't change much.
I had a few flakes and a bit of freezing rain at 0300 this morning at home, just enough that I was concerned and took the cage to work, but of course the road was clear and now I'm regretting it.

Reactions: -Nate and Trials

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm with you UK. Not a lot of interesting chatter anymore. And the land yacht riders seem overjoyed to find something they feel is worthwhile as a subject when they complain about Harley riders. Seriously get a life. The older guys here complain about not being able to throw their leg over their land yacht anymore. I understand it can be difficult trying to clear all those saddlebags and any other **** cluttering up the ride. Guys in their 60's who've let themselves go and now are turning to a freaking 3 wheeled facsimile of a motorcycle.Hoping they still qualify as motorcycle riders. You don't, get over it. I think this forum has become a last resort for old guys who can't get it up any longer, their bike off the ground that is. Oh I know I'll get slammed for such remarks, so let's hear them . ..
Your time will come . ;)

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
:LOL: My time is when I can no longer remain vertical and by then, they might lift my road license for being too old, so I may as well just stick with riding the ditches, besides which public roads are boring unless you can do double the posted speed limit and pop wheelies at will, everybody knows that :alien:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
< THREAD HIJACK>
You know I've been seriously considering a move south for the weather and central Florida is one place where I could potentially transfer and still stay at my company ( though not my present job, I'd be going back to a technician job). What's your opinion of anywhere within commuting distance of the Orlando airport? I know it's pretty busy there but I'm more or less stuck with cities since I'll probably always work at a fairly large international airport, at least the weather is warm there. I'm used to riding into the greater NYC area ( Newark, NJ) so a little traffic is something I'm used to.
A lot of my best choices job wise are cold, Chicago, Denver, Newark are the best choices, I could stay a Manager there and potentially even take a promotion. Houston is a possibility but I'm not 100% happy with the job choices I would have there. Pretty much the warm weather places that would work for me jobwise are Los Angeles, Orlando, San Diego, or San Francisco or Seattle ( not that warm), none of them have really tickled my fancy so far.
Maybe I'm best off just staying in Newark.
Towards the center of the state, its not bad at all in most of the smaller cities and towns such as Winter Haven, which is pretty nice but its probably a 45 minute ride each way to Orlando. Other towns Sanford, Apopka, Longwood are other nice communities that are closer to Orlando. But due to the massive population growth, I dont know how long they'll remain this way. My above post was primarily talking about the larger coastal cities Such as Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, West Palm beach and the surrounding smaller coastal communities that surround these larger urban cities.

Orlando is not coastal, but its included in this list, its just really the only large city in the center of the state. Disney announced that it is relocating 2000 employees from California to Orlando because of its much better business climate and low taxes. The problem with this is that there is already a housing shortage. These people moving here is causing the demand to go through the roof on what homes are available. Homes in that area are selling as quickly as within 3 days of hitting the market, with bidding wars on theses homes and some sellers receiving bids thats twice the listing price. Dont know how long this will last.

But there are still other areas in the center of the state away from Orlando that are still very rural such as (Brooksville, Wauchula, Lake Wales, Leesburg, Ocala). This is why I ride to the interior of the state on my rides, much less congested and there's still a lot of Florida's natural beauty still untouched. Its the same with the panhandle area of the state. Lots of old Florida still there in small towns like Apalachicola on the coast famous for its seafood and oysters, its still an old school fishing village where the commercial fisherman still pull there boats up to the local restaurants on the coastline to sell them their catches of the day. Cant get any fresher than that.

Other areas in the panhandle Marianna, Defuniak Springs and even the state capitol of Tallahassee is still pretty nice because they haven't been over developed yet. Just too far to make it a day ride from my area of Tampa bay.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,668 Posts
Mike, Of the choices available to you San Diego would be my choice, but the cost of living..........................

Reactions: -Nate and mike721

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Mike, I forgot to mention that the interior of the state is the hottest most humid part of the state, it doesnt get the cooling sea breeze winds that the coastline gets.
Mike, Of the choices available to you San Diego would be my choice, but the cost of living..........................
There are many reasons that people and companies are leaving that state in record numbers, cost of living is just one of them. Unfortunately many are coming here. A family next door moved in a few months ago from the San Diego area, nice people. I told them that Florida is a very welcoming state, as long as you leave your Fu---- up politics there. His reply was no worry, that was why we left.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,668 Posts
Oh I agree Zeb, I love San Diego just not the idiots ruining the everything.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Oh I agree Zeb, I love San Diego just not the idiots ruining the everything.
I havent been there since the late 80's. My new neighbors tell me that its changed a lot since then, a young couple with a couple of little ones. He owned a welding and fabricating shop there and said that they were making it harder and harder to do business there. All their family is still there and I know they miss them. They also hate the humidity here, and dont know if they can get use to it.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
San Diego.
You guys often mention places in the US that I will probably never visit. But I have been to San Diego. Nice place.
And long Beach, Newport Beach and places in between. Who knew Newport Beat was in CA, or Lake Geneva was in Illinois? No wonder I get confused. UK

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
953 Posts
I am always up for a good thread jack. Oh man, if I was relocating in the States I'd be heading to anywhere inside the triangle of Nashville TN, Charlotte NC, and Atlanta GA. Arguably some of the best motorcycle roads in the world, year around riding, and less of the summer heat of Florida. You would be close to the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc.
Yep, that area is AWESOME!!! When I visit there, I find myself kinda wondering if we should've moved there instead and feeling a little sad when it's time to leave. But then I get back home to the Ozarks and I'm perfectly happy here. It's been almost seven years and it still feels like we're in the honeymoon stage. But it's great to have another place to visit that I love so much and really isn't that far away.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
953 Posts
It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. That goes for all of California in my book. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. I love living in the middle of quiet, peaceful, and cheap flyover country.:)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The only real answer is to have more than one home, but to do that takes a lot of money or a willingness to live cheaply in both places. I lived in South Texas for a number of years and it was great to be riding in January or February and watch the TV news showing deep snow drifts in the rest of the country, but from about May until Oct the heat and humidity, and bugs, were unbearable and made riding a motorcycle less than fun. I vote for TN or western North Carolina for great roads and moderate weather, but my wife would never go for it.

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
rom about May until Oct the heat and humidity, and bugs, were unbearable
I love our Texas heat. I could do without the bugs though. We are supposed to have a record breaker today and it still won't be warm enough for me. When it starts getting below 70º it's getting cold in my book these days. That low of 70º was 60º last year. It gets higher every few years it seems as I get older.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Holy it is super slippery riding here today after last night s frost the mud and moss is like riding on grease!
Good friend showed up to go riding, I went over the bars in the first 10 minutes and he crashed um, I lost count, but he did great and had fun learned lots and rode his TRS really well for a guy that's 71 years old (y)

Riding in January and February last year was Great here too, I hopes it's as good this year.
I love the changing seasons.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
303 Posts
Back to the original thread :

I'm a newbie here and would like to post more, is there a BMW forum here ? .

I've also been working hard on my worthless and obscure 1984 Brazilian Honda CB125S , I lost a lot of pictures but still have enough to create a thread, I doubt anyone will be much interested tho' .

Uncle Krusty, I've not yet read anyone asking you to leave.....

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
303 Posts
THANK YOU H.C. ! .

I'll give it a go .

21 - 40 of 75 Posts