Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just counted and found that 5 of the top 9 threads right now were started by me. I can't be the only rider who is pretty much finished for the season (its in the low 30's and a mixture of snow and sleet coming down as I sit here typing) and coming to this forum is one of my main means of keeping motorcycles in the forefront of my brain. I added the Stabil, hooked up the Battery Tenders, and put covers on my new Spyder Rt and my not so new Honda PCX150 scooter. If the weather warms up a bit and the sun comes out I still will go for a ride, but I think the season is close to, if not actually over around here. I hate to come to this forum and find nothing new to write about, or complain about, or exaggerate about!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I feel bad for you folks up north for the riding season ending. I guess it would be a good time to do some work or add accessories to the rides though. I'm in Florida, so its riding all year round here. Just went for a 2 hour ride this morning and it was the coldest ride of the year so far at about 60 degrees. Suppose to get up to about 75 today and stay about the same most of the week. I will be doing oil changes on both machines sometime later this week.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several reasons why I would like to move to FL, one being the lack of cold winters and one being the lack of a state income tax. But with three of my five kids, and 8 of my 12 grandkids in this area, plus the ungodly heat of FL in the summer, I think I am stuck here in IL for the time being. Sadly, I don't really have a circle of friends here, and therefore more inclined to consider relocating, but my wife has a group of ladies she would not want to leave. So all year round riding does not look to be in my future.

Reactions: -Nate and Porky

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not to worry Vito. I woke up to the same thing this morning and the bike stayed home. I haven't gone as far as putting it up on it's stands yet but that sad day may come soon. She is oil cooled so no worries about freezing - a bonus for taking advantage of a clear winter day when the roads are dry and a quick tour is in order to scratch the itch. Have a seat Sir, we can wait for spring together.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waiting for Spring does bring one wonderful thing: that thrill of making the first ride in the warming weather. Every year that I have had to put the bike away for the winter months I get that same excitement that I did when I was young when I can finally get the bike back on the road. Back in the '80's I lived in South Texas and could ride all winter, but although the bike never got actually put away, I might go a month or more in the Summer without riding because day or night it was just too damn hot. And the nights there meant swarms of bugs in the air that were overwhelming (the closest thing to Texas night bugs that I have found in the North was when I hit a wall of Mayflies when crossing the Mississippi from Iowa into Illinois one night). So while I am usually jealous of folks who live in places like San Diego, where riding is truly a year round sport, I know that those riders never get that special tingle in their bones when getting out after a long winter's wait.

·
On The Road Again!
4,345 Posts
I hate winter. It won't be long before I'll be putting mine away for it's winter nap and service.
Vito, I'm like you. I just can't wait for that first ride in the spring.
Usually, by March, I'm climbing the walls here, dying to get out for a ride.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ha . I get that tingle every time I ride . I don't have to wait 'til spring . ;)

Most of our families and relatives live in western Michigan . We lived there for most of our lives , until about 12 years ago. The last few years we've spent the Summers there . The rest of the time we spend traveling and most of the last few Winters we spent in east or southeast Texas . Best of both worlds . :)
This lifestyle works fine for us as we'd see the rest of the family only a few times during any year , anyway .
Heck , we probably see more of them now than then . LOL

Last Winter we actually had to put up with snow for about a day . Not even enough to cover the grass , but , still ...

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Too busy riding for 3 to 5 hours a day every day, I don't stop riding because of no stinking weather :alien: it just gets much, much harder and way more challenging.

The hard enduro course is set and all marked ready for start only six days from now. At 10 o'clock Nov.20 it's a mass start race, rain snow or shine makes little difference to me I'm dropping the flag on time, although a really nice warm dry day would be perfect. I think we had to cut it off at 36 riders for this one. They'll have 5 hours to complete as many laps as they can fit in that time and the champion is the one with the most complete laps, then finish is determined by time after that. If they don't get in one complete lap that's a dnf. If nobody shows or can do it I'll ride the gold line myself for one lap and claim all the really cool prizes :LOL: that's my master plan

... these enduro guys are so spoiled, I even built them a short loop practice area today :sneaky: & because we can't have them all warming up in the pits or on the road or race course

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Vito you don’t want Florida…. Hot flat etc. Carolina is the place!
Or Kentucky or Tennessee even.
I totally agree, not only is it hot as hell here for a large portion of the year, but all the people that have been moving here over the last dozen years has created serious over population and chaos problems. Crime through the roof, traffic congestion just as bad as NY city. It use to take 20 minutes to drive 20 miles across town, now it sometimes takes two hours or more, depending on time of day. So many people are moving here from the Northeastern states and Commifornia that there is a serious housing shortage. That housing shortage has been driving the housing market and the rental market through the roof at a much faster pace than most of the country.

The states natural resources like fresh water are being depleted. The aquifer dropping creating sink holes at all time high records. Over development along the coastline with pesticide and fertilizer run off creating algae blooms and Red Tide every year now. I'm in a pretty large urban area (Tampa Bay). I grew up here and it use to be a wonderful place to live, fresh seafood year round, beautiful beaches, no crime or traffic congestion.

Now I'll be retiring to NC or TN, most likely the TN side of the mountains. As for riding here, I take rides to the under developed center areas of the state (Brooksville, Wauchula, Lake Wales, Leesburg, Ocala). Its the only areas to ride here if you dont want to get hit by some transplant with a cell phone stuck in their face that dont have a clue as to where they're going or how to get there.

·
Premium Member
10,054 Posts
I have been chatting away on a regular basis. Some threads bore me, and often suggest I should leave.
Been raining here of epic proportions. Have not made it to a bike gang meeting for a while. Might see some sun on Tuesday so I will be out and about on Yami. UK

·
Nightfly
4,620 Posts
I have been chatting away on a regular basis. Some threads bore me, and often suggest I should leave.
Been raining here of epic proportions. Have not made it to a bike gang meeting for a while. Might see some sun on Tuesday so I will be out and about on Yami. UK
I'm with you UK. Not a lot of interesting chatter anymore. And the land yacht riders seem overjoyed to find something they feel is worthwhile as a subject when they complain about Harley riders. Seriously get a life. The older guys here complain about not being able to throw their leg over their land yacht anymore. I understand it can be difficult trying to clear all those saddlebags and any other **** cluttering up the ride. Guys in their 60's who've let themselves go and now are turning to a freaking 3 wheeled facsimile of a motorcycle.Hoping they still qualify as motorcycle riders. You don't, get over it. I think this forum has become a last resort for old guys who can't get it up any longer, their bike off the ground that is. Oh I know I'll get slammed for such remarks, so let's hear them . ..

·
American Legion Rider
26,375 Posts
So while I am usually jealous of folks who live in places like San Diego, where riding is truly a year round sport, I know that those riders never get that special tingle in their bones when getting out after a long winter's wait.
Believe it or not, that's one feeling I didn't miss and that was after 20 years in Cali. That "tingle" just wasn't missed. Riding must have overwhelmed that little thing. ;)

·
Visionary
5,409 Posts
I totally agree, not only is it hot as hell here for a large portion of the year, but all the people that have been moving here over the last dozen years has created serious over population and chaos problems. Crime through the roof, traffic congestion just as bad as NY city. It use to take 20 minutes to drive 20 miles across town, now it sometimes takes two hours or more, depending on time of day. So many people are moving here from the Northeastern states and Commifornia that there is a serious housing shortage. That housing shortage has been driving the housing market and the rental market through the roof at a much faster pace than most of the country.

The states natural resources like fresh water are being depleted. The aquifer dropping creating sink holes at all time high records. Over development along the coastline with pesticide and fertilizer run off creating algae blooms and Red Tide every year now. I'm in a pretty large urban area (Tampa Bay). I grew up here and it use to be a wonderful place to live, fresh seafood year round, beautiful beaches, no crime or traffic congestion.

Now I'll be retiring to NC or TN, most likely the TN side of the mountains. As for riding here, I take rides to the under developed center areas of the state (Brooksville, Wauchula, Lake Wales, Leesburg, Ocala). Its the only areas to ride here if you dont want to get hit by some transplant with a cell phone stuck in their face that don't have a clue as to where they're going or how to get there.
< THREAD HIJACK>
You know I've been seriously considering a move south for the weather and central Florida is one place where I could potentially transfer and still stay at my company ( though not my present job, I'd be going back to a technician job). What's your opinion of anywhere within commuting distance of the Orlando airport? I know it's pretty busy there but I'm more or less stuck with cities since I'll probably always work at a fairly large international airport, at least the weather is warm there. I'm used to riding into the greater NYC area ( Newark, NJ) so a little traffic is something I'm used to.
A lot of my best choices job wise are cold, Chicago, Denver, Newark are the best choices, I could stay a Manager there and potentially even take a promotion. Houston is a possibility but I'm not 100% happy with the job choices I would have there. Pretty much the warm weather places that would work for me jobwise are Los Angeles, Orlando, San Diego, or San Francisco or Seattle ( not that warm), none of them have really tickled my fancy so far.
Maybe I'm best off just staying in Newark.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am always up for a good thread jack. Oh man, if I was relocating in the States I'd be heading to anywhere inside the triangle of Nashville TN, Charlotte NC, and Atlanta GA. Arguably some of the best motorcycle roads in the world, year around riding, and less of the summer heat of Florida. You would be close to the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
How much did you get over there Trials? I got an inch here but it will be gone by lunch.
About the same, the trees caught most of the snow so the woods are still very ridable and there is no frost in the ground so it won't stay long. No need for tire studs yet.

Long range weather forecast looks encouraging for the race this weekend, hope it doesn't change much.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts