Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this, but I have been looking at bikes for a really long time and I really want one. I'm a 20 year old female in college in Arizona and I need a reasonable vehicle to get around. I have read a lot of articles and forums and I'm trying to teach myself more about the makeup of motorcycles. I am not looking for something that is going to go super fast and injure/kill me on my first time out. I like classic looking bikes like the Triumph Bonneville or something like that. It is super hot here (120 in the summer) and I was wondering if I could also get some help on what to look for for gear.
Thanks for any comments you have.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Mesh jackets will provide the greatest amount of air flow, but riding in 100+ temperatures is going to be uncomfortable for most people.

There are jackets made that can hold ice packs to help keep the rider cool, but I'm not sure who makes them.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Dry wear cloths n mesh like dirtbike gear....
The drywear will help keep u cool as sweat will evaporate...
The mesh gear will let air flow....
Bring lots of drink.......
A well vented helmet will be needed.....

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts

This is the mesh gear i wear in heat.....
It is better then a T shirt.....
I wear Kevlar lined jeans...

http://www.dragginjeans.com/

U may find them cheaper on amazon or ebay..?

Wear leather padded palm gloves....
First thing u put out in front of u in a crash is usually ur hands.
Wear decent leather boots that lace.....
Dry wear shirt for under the mesh gear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanes-Cool-DRI-Performance-Men-s-Long-Sleeve-T-Shirt-style-482L-/400665170695?var=&hash=item9c0bd8a763&vti=Color Blues

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
When it gets colder, layering up underneath is the best bet. If you get a jacket that isn't too snug, you will have room for layers.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
Most of the mesh jackets have a removable liner, usually waterproof

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome Storm Chaser. First things first. Sign up for the rider safety program. In most places the state participates in the cost so you can do it on a small student budget. It looks like AZ is not one of those states from what I found in a quick google search. Cost where you are would be about $200 but still worth the cost. It will give you hands-on experience on a small bike and will take the place of the driving test for a license endorsement if you pass. That hands-on time is priceless. At the end of the 2 days of practice you will have a real feel of whether or not a bike is for you. Take advantage of the different bikes they offer for your use and see how each style suits you. Most of the bikes are just the kind you would want for a student commute at around 250cc and with mileage over 60 MPG. In addition to low fuel costs those small bikes are also much cheaper to buy and to insure.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like classic looking bikes like the Triumph Bonneville or something like that.
I've been pretty happy with my TU250x, which kind of has a mini Bonneville look, depending on what you're looking to spend of course. It's not very fast, but fun to ride. I'd agree, take the BRC before getting too serious about it, though it's always nice to dream.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
If I do ride in colder weather, can the mesh gear fit under a jacket?
Yes.

I wear JUST my "Power Ranger" outfit, the mesh/armor thing you see above in summer, and put either my leather jacket or rain gear over it when it cools down.

I picked up my PR outfit at Cycle Gear, on sale, for $59.

It's not super well made, I only give the zipper one season, BUT...

It's got to be better than "going down" wearing only a t-shirt.

Riding in ARizona in summer is ALWAYS going to be hot, but I suspect a co-ed riding wearing ONLY one of these mesh jobs is REALLY going to contribute to global warming, at least around campus ;)

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Yes.

I wear JUST my "Power Ranger" outfit, the mesh/armor thing you see above in summer, and put either my leather jacket or rain gear over it when it cools down.

I picked up my PR outfit at Cycle Gear, on sale, for $59.

It's not super well made, I only give the zipper one season, BUT...

It's got to be better than "going down" wearing only a t-shirt.

Riding in ARizona in summer is ALWAYS going to be hot, but I suspect a co-ed riding wearing ONLY one of these mesh jobs is REALLY going to contribute to global warming, at least around campus ;)
I find any of there are not top notch quality, but.....
Better then a T 4 sure.
I wear mine under a canvus type shirt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking to take one of the classes to make sure I end up liking riding, but I'm about 95% sure that it is something I'm going to love. I'm already into skydiving and hoping to get a license for that as well. Do you guys have any recommendation for good bikes for a beginner (mainly used for getting around, use on freeways is certain)? You can dismiss preference for now, I figure that if I still really want a certain type of bike, I can work up to it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'm looking to take one of the classes to make sure I end up liking riding, but I'm about 95% sure that it is something I'm going to love. I'm already into skydiving and hoping to get a license for that as well. Do you guys have any recommendation for good bikes for a beginner (mainly used for getting around, use on freeways is certain)? You can dismiss preference for now, I figure that if I still really want a certain type of bike, I can work up to it.
Two KEY points.

1) your first bike will NOT be you last bike, and is not or should not be your DREAM bike. It's a bike on which you LEARN to ride, and y ou'll drop it AT LEAST once. (Buying a pre-dropped bike saves a LOT of heartache)

2) The smaller the displacement the bike (250 cc, 300, even a 400 scooter) the FASTER you will learn to ride. Too much power requires too much CAUTION.

It'a a LOT more fun to ride an underpowered (bike/car) fast than an overpowered one slow. You are forced to downshift to accelerate rather than just roll on the throttle o n a monster motor. You'll become a better rider faster, and you simply won't try the STUPID stuff you would on a 600+cc crotch rocket.

Ya got to SAVOR being a beginner. Enjoy every moment. Learn. Ride with more experienced riders ever chance you get. TAke that BRC, take it twice if necesssary. Be the best damn 250cc rider there is BEFORE moving up to that 700 cc cruiser, 900 Ninja, or whatever.

Hell, you can learn how to ride on a scooter. I did. What I learned low and slow has saved my bacon repeatedly on 1000 liter sport bikes, 1400 cc sport/tourist bikes, etc.

I have no doubt you'll do well. Just don't rush it. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Google "best beginner bikes" It is amazing what is available [like ABS brakes] in a small economic package. Some of the models that you encounter have been around for ages, so you can buy a used bike and ride it and trade up for cheap.

Never buy a bike without considering the insurance costs. Often overlooked by younger people, but a point not to be overlooked.

If you do go to the beginner bike websites, they also have more powerful and/or larger motorcycles that are still relatively easy to ride. Engine size in cc's does not have a direct correlation of safe driveability of the motorcycle as you will understand with your research.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts