Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, right after saying I don't do well below 50 degrees in another thread, last night I rode for an hour in 35 degrees. It wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated.

Of course, it wasn't so bad because I dressed accordingly and planned ahead. That got me wondering what would be the lowest temp I could tolerate.

On the other end of the scale, I've done rides up to 108. That's definitely my upper end. It took two chocolate shakes and four glasses of ice water to cool off enough to get back out there that day.

What's your temp limit?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The coldest I've ever done was 17 degrees. That was because I had to and was only for maybe 3 miles. It was a foolish thing to do and I was miserable, but I was out of beer and didn't own a car. I've ridden for most of a day (with plenty of stops,) many times in the past when it was low 30's and maybe dipping slightly into the upper 20's. I was younger and didn't know any better. It's not too bad if I'm prepared for it, but I have no intention of every getting prepared for it again. :biggrin:

The hottest was over 100, but I couldn't say how far over. Certainly not 108! The hottest I ever felt was riding through Kansas. It felt like 150 but I don't think the actual temperature was but barely 100.

I'd say my current range is maybe upper 50's to just over 100. Other then that I'll take the truck.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
My coldest has been -1 and hottest +36...both celsius.

The fringe areas are not really fun and I ride for fun. But sometimes you have no choice.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Coldest during a road trip was during an all night ride across Nebraska and Iowa, temps dropped to a low of 29 degrees. 80 mph didn't help.

Hottest was during a ride from SE Utah to San Diego, three days of temps in the 100's with a high of 117 degrees in SE California.
Second highest was 115 degrees in Death Valley. I was lucky, the next weekend it was 128 degrees in Death Valley!

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Coldest was 15º when I left the house according to the last morning news I saw and it was for 48 miles. I slid across one over pass as fog was freezing.

Hottest was 110º according to a bank thermometer display in Vernon Texas just a few years ago. And that was a 107 mile ride back home.

Of the two I preferred the hot one much more. My hands and feet were froze all day with the cold one. The hot one I was able to get inside to the air conditioned house and have a few beers. Ya know, to replenish the moisture I lost.:D

BTW: 21º right now.

·
8,574 Posts
Coldest was going back to CA from the Sturgis rally when we rode throught the mountains of Wyoming @ about 20 degrees for many a cold and dark mile.

Hottest was in Lake Havasu, AZ once when it was 125 degrees. Dry heat really is no big deal if one is well hydrated.

I rode to work this morning and it's 7 degrees---a little chilly until I turned the heater and defroster on in my "Ride." :biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
When I was young and stupid -mid 20's upper end somewhere around 100

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I will ride when it's 10° and have done it several times as long as there is no snow and ice on the roads. My trip to work is only 20 miles so it's not that bad.

I have ridden through Kansas when Satan was controlling the heat and the wind, I'm sure it was 115 plus and the convection oven was working flawlessly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My ride last night was my coldest one. Ride for an hour in what I believe was 36 degrees.

And I didn't wear a face mask ... Or proper gloves. It was pretty miserable and a mistake I don't intend to make again ...

·
On The Road Again!
3,827 Posts
Well, I don't remember for sure from years ago. But a few weeks ago, my buddy and I took our Honda 90s on a breakfast ride, about 29 miles round trip. It was 26 degrees. With no windshield on those little bikes, damn it was cold!
Hottest was probably up around 100 degrees. That is definitely no fun at all.
Usually can't wait to get home at those temperatures.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Hot and cold

Around 25 F on the chilly side, and 102 on the hot side. Was in one piece black leathers at Portland track.
Been on a snowmobile in cooler weather.

For a trip of more than 100 miles, low thirties was the coldest.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Coldest for me is about 20ºF. Below that I have trouble getting the bike running. When I was crossing the Mojave desert in September I experienced 113ºF. I will never volunteer for that again. When I got to my motel room that night I took off my pants and could see the red tinge to my calves, the result of exhaust heat on top of the extreme air temperature for a couple of hours. It was several days before the skin healed completely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the old day's 79 A friend and I went to Yellowstone in the fall don't know the temp but I stood on the kick starter and it would not move his RD 350 wouldn't fire so we built a fire and banked the coals the next morning, sleeping under a picnic table in our leathers kind of sucked but it was a great TIME

·
Ace Tuner
2,912 Posts
When I lived in Phoenix, 120 degrees.
I noticed I didn't feel right and was not thinking straight. I almost panicked when I realized it was the heat. I was only a few blocks from home.
My decision was to go ahead and try to make it home and I did.
That kind of heat can sneak up on you and your clothes get so hot all you can do to cool off is strip when you get in the A/C.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I guess this thread is about bragging rights or something like that, but my bike has never been my primary, or only means of transportation. I ride for the enjoyment of it, which is more than considerable. But when the weather gets too extreme it just doesn't feel like fun anymore.

I've ridden on occasion when it was down to about 25, but only because I hadn't ridden in a few months and that particular day there was no wind, no snow or ice on the road, and a bright sun shining. I went for about a 5 mile little ride and then came home with semi-frozen hands.

For highest temps, it was 104. I was living in San Antonio and rode up early in the morning to Austin to see my daughter at college. When I left home it was about 85 and perfect riding weather. When I had to return home it was 104. The wind felt like a hot knife on my face. Normally I won't ride when it reaches 95.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Coldest was 4F. Rode 46 miles and got frostbite.

Hottest was 105F. That morning it was in the 40s so I left with a hoodie underneath thick heavy leather. Had no other way to carry it so, on a 110F sunny day, I rode home with it all on.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess this thread is about bragging rights or something like that, but my bike has never been my primary, or only means of transportation. I ride for the enjoyment of it, which is more than considerable. But when the weather gets too extreme it just doesn't feel like fun anymore.
I asked out of curiosity. I hadn't ridden in anything near freezing temps until a few days ago, which made me wonder what others had endured.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I really don't like riding when it's below 50*F but we've been on a few trips and had to. The coldest I ever felt when riding was a trip around Lake Michigan. It was on July 4th, 2009, 20* damp and oh so windy when we made it to Whitefish Point. We did a quick walk around and went back to Paradise, got a room on the backside of Curley's motel and watched the lake and fireworks through the bay window.

I'm the short one with the white on the sleeves of my jacket. I was flippin freezing!!!!! Even so, it was a great trip!!!

The hottest was ironically on another trip to the U P of Michigan. We left home July 6, 2012 and rode 2 days on interstate with the sun beating down on us and temps 110 to 114 F. We stopped often for water and A C. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

·
On The Road Again!
3,827 Posts
I really don't like riding when it's below 50*F but we've been on a few trips and had to. The coldest I ever felt when riding was a trip around Lake Michigan. It was on July 4th, 2009, 20* damp and oh so windy when we made it to Whitefish Point. We did a quick walk around and went back to Paradise, got a room on the backside of Curley's motel and watched the lake and fireworks through the bay window.
Did I read that right?? TWENTY DEGREES F on July 4th?????

1 - 20 of 45 Posts