Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've still been riding with the daytime temps in the 50°Fs and upper 30°Fs/lower 40°Fs on the way home. I've got a nice leather jacket with windbreaker underneath that keeps me warm and some leather gloves that block the wind, but I don't have a solution for the legs. I bought some Tourmaster Calibre Pants. They're very nice, but seem like overkill for what I need. What I'd like to buy is something like some longjohns I can wear under my pants that help block the wind. Anyone know of something that might fit the bill? My commute home is short, like 15 minutes, so I don't need the latest and greatest. Thanks for any help.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Firehose pants from Duluth Trading post are good too. Can get them lined with flannel for a little extra warmth and they last forever

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Under armor covered with leather is what I wear, but you may be happier with snowboarding pants over your regular pants, so you can just strip them off and be ready to go.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Chaps are good for cool weather to cold weather. When I need more I put my rain pants over my chaps. The rain pants help to hold more heat in and blocks wind off my bottom.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Pants

Lots of long john options. Lots of ladies stuff available. The New York Jets
( Joe Namath era ) were the first to admit wearing them.
Lots of sweat pants in different weights. Leather pants are better then leather chaps as it gets colder. Froggtoggs are cheap and light for rain gear.
I often have on all four layers. The sweat pants are easier to move in than jeans, and are not as bulky at the bottom.
For severe rain and cold, I wear a pair of bib pants from my sailing gear.
The leather blocks the wind and therefor the cold, better than other materials.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use to do a lot bicycle riding in the winter and they have lined pants that are like spandex but not the same and they really kept me warm.

·
10,763 Posts
Chaps are good for cool weather to cold weather. When I need more I put my rain pants over my chaps. The rain pants help to hold more heat in and blocks wind off my bottom.
This is the system we use. Amazing how much better getting your pants that air proof cover adds to heat retention. Also for Christmas this year, the present that my wife and I are getting each other is a heated seat. Cold weather gear is important in ND.

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
You must have a fairly large garage to ride around in Badlands. I thought you was snowed in 8 months out of the year.:D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I scored another pair of Draggin jeans on ebay for about $60, lightly used, never downed. These are a size smaller in the waist, which should be okay since the 38's l bought last time require a belt. I will let you all know how they fit when they get here. In any case, that is basically 2 for the price of one l have gotten on Ebay, and l have a hard to find size. I think it is the place to go for kevlar jeans.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Chilly legs

Usually the first thing you notice when it cools off is the cold breeze in your lower leg. That is provided you have decent gloves.
To stop the cool draft, a set of gaiters works well.
Over the long johns or pantie hose, over the pants, and under the leather pants and or rain gear. Outer gear can be taken off and the spats / gaiters can stay on. Works for me.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Got my Draggin jeans today. They really fit pretty much the same as the others that are one size bigger around the waist, just a tad snugger. A hair longer, too, even though they are both 34's. In any case, l am happy with my purchase of these for about half price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I switch between Kevlar jeans, leathers and textiles as the seasons change. Rukka Cosmic textiles are my preferred choice for the winter. These are gore-tex lined and the quilted liner is removable so if you head off when it is very cold and later in the day it warms up you can stop and take out the liner.

·
Charter Member Black Bayou Basturds
376 Posts
I wear my hunting' britches in colder weather...they are shaped just like chaps in the front part of the leg from my thigh to below my ankles...
Works great..... In a pinch I also have my rain suit pants which make for an excellent wind breaker on the legs...
My 2012 Harley Limited has the lower fairings so my feet are not in the wind either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Late to the party but adding a mini review! Picked up a pair of Rev'It Everest Goretex on closeout, was a hell of a steal. $700 but I got it severely discounted! They are actual riding pants, but I tend to wear them as overpants since I'm small and wear form fitting clothing. They are absolutely water proof, have a removable cold weather liner, and also have nice massive vents to let cool air in. Very durable, top of the line fabrics. Not too bulky either and very comfy. I definitely recommend pants like these...can wear them pretty much year round and don't have to worry about the rain!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts