Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some inexpensive gloves, you get what you pay for I guess. They look like a regular pair of gloves you'd buy at a department store. They're good down to about 45°F or so, but my hands get very cold below those temps, so I'm wondering if there's some gloves that do a better job of keeping your hands warm? I got some long johns and a good leather jacket, so I don't mind riding down into the mid 30°Fs, but my hands are freezing. I saw somewhere a pair of rubber gloves under the gloves helps, but I've no idea if that true. Thanks for any help.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
First off, I don't "ride" below 45 Degrees Fahrenheit; and even THAT makes for a cold ride!!

Secondly, I don't spend a ton of money on gear. I buy what I can without going broke doing it. So I have a rather standard pair of leather gloves, to which I add one dollar cloth inserts (like garden gloves for example). That works just fine for me.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,530 Posts
I've tried about every glove out there. Electric are the only ones that keep me almost okay. But even those don't really work because if I get them warm my hands start sweating and moisture and cold don't go well together. They used to make a product cal Hippo Hands that was ugly as all get out but those that had them said they really worked well. I never got around to getting them so can't say for sure and I'm not sure if they even make them anymore. If they do you might find them or something like them where snowmobile accessories are sold. It's the wind that causes the problem and those or something like them stops the wind getting to the hands.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I got stuck "out" with an unsatisfactory pair of gloves. (Cycle Gear).

They simply were not sufficiently windproof, much less waterproof. .

I'd stop and dry them on hand dryers at truck stops. Then I'd go to the food counter and get a pair of food service (clear plastic) gloves, and put those on INSIDE the el-cheapo gloves

Wind and waterproof, I got by till I could get home to where my GOOD gloves were.

Lesson learned: Always carry your warmest, MOST waterproof gloves WITH ya unless it's the apogee of summer JUST IN CASE.

I treat a LOT of apparel items with Scotchgard to make them MORE waterproof than they come from the factory --- boots, work gloves, jackets, even jeans if I'm "stuck out" without rain gear or chaps. Stinks like hell, so do it OUTSIDE your hotel room and let the apparel dry overnight.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I been using scotch Guard on my Armored textile gear with no luck at all....
Said waterproof when i bought it.....
Waterproof as a paper towel.....
I learned to just carry my good rain gear in the saddles.....
Far as waterproofing leather gloves.....
I find snow seal works great if ur gunna heat it up so it'l soak in good.
I do a heavy coat n really soak it in.......hair dryer works great...
Next set of pants n jacket will be leather 4 sure......

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Heavy gloves plus disposable hand warmers help when it is unexpectedly cold. I generally don't ride when it is below 50 degrees, but even in the '50's my hands get cold really quickly even with heavy gloves. I keep a few of the handwarmer packets in my saddle bag, just in case. They don't do too much for the tips of the fingers but they do help, and last for several hours. Worth keeping around.

·
Visionary
2,937 Posts
The hardest lesson for me to learn was that some people's hands just get cold so much easier than others. My wife is an all weather gal, she has no issues hiking in the ice and snow, winter kayaking, or riding in below freezing temps with decent gear but she always had cold hands. I didn't realize how much she must suffer though until the other day, it was a nice warm evening around 50f, I was wearing mesh summer gloves and she had on my heaviest winter leather gauntlets. My hands were slightly cool but fine and I was enjoying the feeling of the cool breeze as we cruised around back roads, she stopped me after 30 minutes and said she couldn't feel the grips any longer. I ride into work in below freezing temps on the interstate with those gloves and my hands stay warm for an hour, I couldn't imagine wearing them in 50 degree weather at 40 mph, my hands would melt.
That's when it hit me how cold she must feel all the time. I bought her electric gloves the next day for an early birthday present. :)

Leather gauntlets with a decent liner works for me even when i'm out in winter.
But some people just get cold easily.
I get away with summer boots when snowshoeing in winter up here in maine,.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts