Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On right side, for cylinders 1 & 4 wires that connect to coil are yellow and I think the other was black.

Coil has pos + neg.. which wire goes where?

On the other one for 2 & 3 the wires are black w/ stripe and blue.

I know when I took the coils off, my #1 plug wire was at the top with #4 at the bottom, but since I swapped motor from 79 into my 81, I used the 79 coils, which only fit upside down, so now #1 is at bottom and 4 is at top..

Anyway, this engine and everything attached to it ran perfect before I swapped it into the 81 and now I can't get it started.. seems like it tried a couple times but I got some big BOOM backfire a couple times.

Can anyone help.

thank you

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If firing order is 1-4-3-2, which coil fires first? The right side or the left side? Pos or Neg?

IE: #1 plug wire should be at pos or neg of which side?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd think Honda of all people would of gotten the firing order correct on their wiring diagrams.

Guess this answers my question.. but does it matter about the CDI spark units? They're both the same, so I suppose it does not matter which one plugs into which connector, cause they each fit into both,.. right? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Never mind. I got it.. Used the wiring diagram without their wrong firing order and it started right up. :) Now time to install gas tank, adjust throttle and clutch and GTFOH and ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...
I have a 1982 CB650 and Im trying to troubleshoot the Coil/CDI.
I bought it recently and I think the guy that had it before might have disconnected the coils at one point.
SHTF Rat I thought the same thing on that image...WTF
You mentioned that you used the diagram without the wrong firing order.
Assuming: 1&4 coil, the 'WTF' image the one on the right, blue goes to 1, b/w goes to 4?
Then coil on the left, Yellow goes to 2? the b/w on that coil goes to 3?

Sorry if it is a simple question, I was thinking my coils were bad as it seemed I had irregular spark with a timing light hooked up, but the resistance across the primary is 2.5 ohm...which from what I found on the new coils should be 2.5-2.8 ohm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I feel a bit silly. Learned a bit about how the coils work and where my actual issue lay.
Ill make a separate post with what I found, hopefully to help someone else down the line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
On right side, for cylinders 1 & 4 wires that connect to coil are yellow and I think the other was black.

I know when I took the coils off, my #1 plug wire was at the top with #4 at the bottom, but since I swapped motor from 79 into my 81, I used the 79 coils, which only fit upside down, so now #1 is at bottom and 4 is at top..

Anyway, this engine and everything attached to it ran perfect before I swapped it into the 81 and now I can't get it started.. seems like it tried a couple times but I got some big BOOM backfire a couple times.

Can anyone help.

thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts

Can anyone help.

thank you
Which side is the right side facing the bike or sitting on seat

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,402 Posts
Right side of a bike is the same as any other vehicle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here is a neat trick! When it comes to a waste spark system the only thing that matters is which coil is first! You dont need to know the firing order as 1 and 4 are going to be the outer cylinders and 2/3 are the inner ones. The coil fires both wires at the same time! So 1/4 is the same as 4/1 and 2/3 is the same as 3/2.

With a waste spark system a single coil fires 2 cylinders at the exact same time. One piston is on the top of the compression stroke and needs the spark, the mating cylinder is on the top of the exhaust stroke and doesn't need the spark so it is wasted... Hence the name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts