Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am 22 and just bought a CM400. My intentions will be to chop it and lower it to make a bobber, but thats for a later date. she aint in the best shape but she runs great and sounds amazing aside from a slight tick in the engine, but i'll tinker wit it to figure it out.

As for why i chose this bike, Its a small engine, i know, however since i have no riding experiance aside from 4 wheelers and dirt bikes i figured i would get something that wont launch out from under me and lay over the 1st time i go to pull out from a stop sign... so far it has been 4 days and I have to say i am VERY satisfied with my purchase. The owner let me take her for 450 now and 450 when i get paid in 2 weeks for a total of 900 dollars. All and all electrical issues and cosmetic wear aside i feel like i got a fair deal. i mean it IS a 1981 bike after all...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
for the ticking

·
14,301 Posts
You might want to have someone with experience check it for you then

·
14,301 Posts
May be nothing, or could be major, depends on a lot of things how bad is the noise and when do you hear it

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
You have 2 choices. 1) Take it to someone that can say one way or the other if it's okay. 2) Ride it and hope nothing is wrong. I know which one I'd pick.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As many mechanics as hangs out on this forum, surely someone can tell him how to check the clearance!

OP, post a question in the Repair section of this forum. Someone will help you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kinda late reply but turned out the valves were way off on the right hand exhaust side, like i could fit a quarter in there... Watched a few videos on youtube and a really helpful forum page specific to my bike and god, the increase in power and absence of tick is amazing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts