Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 81 Honda Hawk about a month ago. I've never ridden a motorcycle before but I try to get out every day to ride around the neighborhood. I am having trouble coming out of a stop. When I first start up the bike and kick it into 1st then take off the bike rolls just fine when I slowly release the clutch. But then when I stop at a light or stop sign I'll do the same gradual release of the clutch and the bike wont start rolling until it's almost fully released, which allows me little time to give it some gas before it stalls. Has anyone heard of a problem like this? It's very easy to take off when I first get on it but every other time I come to a stop the bike doesn't roll the same and I'm almost fully off the clutch before it starts to move on it's own.

Thanks for your help.

· Gone
20,523 Posts
Apply the throttle at the same time you are moving through the friction zone with the clutch.

Don't use the clutch like an on/off switch. Try to release it gradually once it starts pulling, ultimately traveling about 20 feet before you completely release the lever.

The bike will tend to stall if you turn that 20 feet into 6 inches.

· Registered
17 Posts
You need to find a motorcycle riding course near you. I have ridden dirt bikes, mini bikes, motorcycles and every kind of two wheeler but when I took a course in Phoenix a long time ago I learned how to manage the clutch better than I ever had! The magic is keeping the RPMs up and slipping the clutch to slowly start and then let it out. If you don't want to take a course then find an empty parking lot and practice going as slow as you can. Get some friends and have a slow race, last one across the line wins! Then practice going in circles, making them as tight and slow as you can. Do this for a few weeks and you will figure out your clutch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.