Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 97 Suzuki katana GSX-R 600f knowing I'd have to do some work on it. When I bought it the clutch was very tight and had no play. This morning I adjusted the clutch by the lever. It gave it what seemed to be the proper amount of play.

I then took it to get gas, and it stalled when I went into 1st gear. I thought it was strange, but the bike had hardly warmed up and maybe it was a fluke. Then, at a stop light, after about 15 minutes of driving, it stalled again. I'm not sure why as I was releasing the clutch the same as I had been driving all day.

The transmission now seems more touchy than before, which shouldn't be the case at all. Does anyone have experience with this and know why this is happening?

Also, the bike will not go into neutral while in drive, only when I've turned the bike off, it was that way when I bought it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like a out of adjustment clutch. Hopefully your clutch plates arent fried cause of being too tight. In this order:

1)Make sure cable is good (not shredded, frayed, worn, etc), lubed and replace if necessary
2)Check free play at lever (Again) and adjust correctly
3)If needed make adjustments to cable at engine end
4)if above doesn't fix it, you might need to replace clutch pack/other internals of clutch system

If its too tight the clutch will stay disengaged and will cause slipping/destroy your plates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts