Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Rob and I own a 1978 Honda CM185T. A few days ago my bike would not shift out of fourth gear. I took off the side cover and found the clutch discs stuck together. With a gentle wiggle they came free. I disassembled the pack and cleaned everything. Prior to reassembling I lubed the discs with fresh oil. I then put everything back together and in proper order, i.e. friction plate, then spacer, and etc. as outlined in the Haynes Manual. I placed the cover back on and filled it with 1.5L of fresh oil. (Valvoline 4stroke wet-clutch) Finally, I adjusted the clutch cable. I then tested the shifting with the engine off rolling back and forth. Every gear shifted fine. So I let the bike warm up, put it first and started off. However, instead of the nice easy acceleration that I'm used to, the bike lurched forward hard and stalled. I again the verified the freeplay at the clutch and it was correct. I tried adjusting the carb, then completely disassembled it, and found no clogs. I was pretty sure it wasn't the carb because it's practically brand new and I drained it prior to storage for the winter. I've ruled out a fuel problem. There is fresh gas in the tank and it's Kreem lined, also it has a new petcock and a new fuel filter. I also lubed the throttle cable.

I have been able to get the bike to overcome the stall/hard lurch, but it involves revving the engine unusually high and what I consider unsafe. However, once moving it seems to respond normally, until I again have to start off from a stop. My only thought is that the discs are shot and by reshuffling them after the cleaning, they now stick at first gear instead of fourth. Does this seem reasonable? I'm at my whits end. Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Best,
Rob Hoffman

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I've never wore out a bike clutch but I'd think if that were the case here you'd be getting slipping on acceleration instead of grabbing. I'd make sure everything went back together properly and check that adjustment remembering it is a worn clutch so maybe more free play would be better. That's just pure guess though. It really sounds like something is in there backwards to me if that's possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've never wore out a bike clutch but I'd think if that were the case here you'd be getting slipping on acceleration instead of grabbing. I'd make sure everything went back together properly and check that adjustment remembering it is a worn clutch so maybe more free play would be better. That's just pure guess though. It really sounds like something is in there backwards to me if that's possible.
+1 see if you can adjust it out then go from there

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I can't answer the free-play on the spindle question but I'd pull the rear wheel and check the bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts