Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 gs500f. I recently got it to run after rebuilding the carbs. I still have to sync them but it's close enough to test ride. After test ride I notice that my Rpms were going up but I was not gaining speed. So I watched a few videos and read some web blogs. I adjusted the cable and it got a little better but I think there might be a clutch problem. The bike only has a little over 2700 miles on it....so I'm lost. If some one could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.shed thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Did you adjust the cable so it moves freely for a short distance, then begins pulling the clutch release? If so, what kind of oil did you put in it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I have a little less than an 1/8 in. Of play in the lever. Then it starts to release.I haven't changed the oil yet it should still have the factory oil in it. Like I said it has a little over 2700 hundred miles on it. Do u think I need to pull the clutch pads and rings. This is considered a beginner's bike the clutch might be burnt up. Yeah

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
One way to check the clutch is to try shifting without using it.
if it goes right into gear without using the clutch, then your main clutch setup needs adjusted, or has problems, or maybe the plates are worn. 2700 hundred miles? thats like 2 million and a half miles man..... get a new bike, the brakes are probably pretty gone too! along with the seat tank, wheels, hoses, and probably the engine too!

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Just a tip: if you put your location in your profile, you may find someone who lives near that can help.

Now, that 1/8", is that at the end of the lever, or the amount of gap at the pivot point, before the cable tightens? Mine moves about 1/2" at the end of the lever to get the proper slack, measured at the pivot point, but this will depend on lever length and other factors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 1/8" is at the pivot before it tightens. When it's in first gear I have to let just about the way off the clutch before it engages. I know it's supppost to engage at little less than half but it goes past half before it catches. And for like 2000 to 3500 it pulls, but when it get past that it feels like it slips out and it just revs up. But it does gain a little speed. It just doesn't have any torque. Which I know these bikes don't have that much to begin with.....but I know it won't even get out of its on way right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts