Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, 2004 yamaha 1700 roadstar....27,000 miles. I installed the clutch conversion from the diaphragm to the Barnett conversion kit 6 Springs and I did this because it felt like the clutch was starting to slip on me especially at takeoff in 1st and acceleration in 2nd and acceleration in 3rd all other forums and sites I've been checking and saying this would fix the problem......but it is still doing it....any ideas ??

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
What type of oil are you using? Is it motorcycle specific?

·
15,531 Posts
Did you soak the plates?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you soak the plates?
I did not replace any plates just the Barnett conversion to eliminate the diaphragm style to the spring style due to the fact that with only 27000 miles and all the other forums said that it was not needed but I'm beginning to wonder now.

·
15,531 Posts
Did you put the plates back in the way they came out? The only other thing I can think off is the adjustment, and you have probably done that 50 times before you started asking for help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you put the plates back in the way they came out? The only other thing I can think off is the adjustment, and you have probably done that 50 times before you started asking for help
This is the only thing I did was replace this outer clutch pressure plate never removed any of the friction or steel
Wheel Auto part Rim Alloy wheel Disc brake
plates it's a pretty easy conversion but it did not fix my problem

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Good luck with it. They're not that hard to replace. I've heard they need to be soaked overnight and I've read that a couple hours is enough. Who knows?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I've been reading up on that I was hoping that wouldn't be the problem because of only having 27,000 miles I want to take it for a spin again tomorrow..... yeah they say soak them in oil preferably overnight I was just hoping I did not have to tear it apart again LOL... I know there's different set ups 2 plate and the 3 plate and they say the 2 plate usually is enough.... appreciate your help.

·
15,531 Posts
Bigger Yammies sometimes need that conversion around 30k. And you are right it is usually enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts