Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and I am having an issue with my 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. I was riding it the other day and I got back home and while I was driving in my backyard to park it in my shop the back wheel hit a hole and my motorcycle would not go anymore. I had to get off and push it. When I got it in my shop I realized when I put it in first gear with the clutch still engaged the chain constantly spins but the back wheel will not spin. Any idea what in the world is going on and what I need to get replaced? I do not know much of anything with motorcycle repairs but I am pretty handy with cars so if this is something I can fix myself to save money that is what I tend to do.
Any help at all would be awesome. I hope I explained it well enough for you.

Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
if i understand you correctly, the engine is running, the bike is in 1st (or any other) gear with clutch engaged, and the chain is being driven.
this would indicate a problem at the rear wheel, definitely not the clutch, but i will leave it to more experienced bike mechanics to advise you on what might be happening at the rear wheel.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Aren't there some rubber friction plate back there in the hub?

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
If the chain / rear sprocket spins and the rear wheel remains static ... Then you've got some really unusual damage or defects in your final drive.
Is it making a bunch of noise with the chain running and the wheel sitting still?

The rear sprocket connects to the hub, hub to drive dampers, drive dampers to the wheel. Something is bad wrong in the system.
What is it? :confused: I ain't got a clue but I'd be expecting hunks of broken parts to fall out on disassembly.

Considering that those drive parts just don't do like there're doing, I'm not sure this job would be a good first time 'fix it myself' repair.

Please let us know what you or your mechanic find...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
There should have been lots of NOISE and VIBRATION for a complete failure of the rear drive sprocket and hub. Park the bike and take the rear wheel off and all will be clear:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it engages into gear no problem and spins then its not the clutch, by the way you describe it, and don't take this the wrong way but by the way you describe the problems you sound like you don't know anything about bikes, I would definitely get someone in who knows what they are doing, however can you put the bike on a center stand and with the bike tuned OFF grab the hub that the sprocket is attached to hold it still and move the rear wheel with your other hand.

And let us know if the rear wheels moves and what you observe.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Part 10 drives the wheel and makes it go round. The only way I can see what youre describing happen is if all 6 of those "fins" on the center of the wheel were broke. Or if the hub was destroyed completely. I cant see that happening from a hole in your back yard. Maybe if the bike fell off a plane from the sky. Maybe post a video?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2012/fz6r-fz6rbb/rear-wheel

·
15,670 Posts
or maybe the bolts holding the sprocket to the hub came out

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
The chain jumped the rear sprocket and is riding on top of the hub:grin:

Maybe someone is hallucinating :surprise:

·
15,670 Posts
Come back MadMan we all want to know what happened.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Every tooth on sprocket broke? :)
No, the chain being too loose jumped off of the sprocket. I have seen it happen but usually on dirt track and desert bikes:grin:

It will normally stay on the countershaft sprocket since there isn't much room for it to derail:wink2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I need to know what the problem was, maybe they took the back wheel off and never put spacers on ;).

Or maybe the cush drive rubber obliterated and all the fins on the hub sheared off.

Or the bolts sheared off the read sprocket.

But the most likely one is the chain was so loose on the sprocket it came off, which is also something that would happen to a new rider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts