Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been having issues with my clutch slipping hen if 5th gears to I wanted to take a look and see how feasable it would be to open it up and check if there is anything wrong. I managed to get the cover off for the clutch side of the engine however I don't have the correct tools to continue so I went to put the cover back on and go to a garage.

Unfortunately the cover will not fit back on as two parts which are seemingly fixed in place are hitting each other and I am stumped, there must be something simple I am missing.

I have a Honda CBF125 (glr1251whf)

I have taken pictures of the parts that are hitting imgur.com/a/VPqzCMM

Please does anyone have any idea why this isn't fitting in place?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so I have managed to fit it back on, it turns out the problem was the gear lever needed to be pulled away from the cover through the two metal rods above where the collision was happening, I'm sure that was obvious to most but I'm putting this here as information if any noobie like myself makes the same mistake.

Now my problem is I have no idea how to set the clutch lever back up with the clutch and after putting back together I am stuck in gear and the clutch lever is completely loose.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Often Honda has specific procedures or positions to get transmissions all set up and assembled properly. Hate to say it, but a repair manual would be gold here.

The oil in there looks awfully cloudy - did you get water in the lower end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I wish I had one but unfortunatly all I got was an ownwers manual which doesn't go as far as this as they have a draining bolt. I'll see if I can find one online.

Nope, this is the oil as is in the engine, I'm guessing from your response that I should look at chaning the oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay after watching some videos, looking at the parts on a part retail website and a many swear words, I have figured out what the problem is.

I was missing this little guy here imgur.com/a/DncSdjU (Rod, Clutch Lifter). This is the part that causes the rotation of the rod to push the inner part of the clutch and open it freeing the plates.

In my stupidity and ignorance I had allowed this to fall into the oil at the bottom of the engine when taking off the side (as it is not attached).

Lessons learned:
1. if you are going to open or do maintainance on the engine, go the whole way and mount the bike up and drain the oil.
2. have a get out plan if anything goes wrong (engineer on standby or a wiser more experienced person to help if needed), this is my only mode of transport and I need it for commuting on Monday so if I can't get it up and running again my myself I am walking 2 hours per day for work.

I have drained the oil and cleaned the engine out (there was a surprising amount of debris in the oil filder for a 4k mile bike) and I am waiting for some oil to arrive tomorrow so I can put everything back together. I will update on the progress, fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Assuming it works ok, after you run it a hundred miles or so I'd check the oil to see what it looks like..oil should be clear, or clear and dark if it's old and dirty, but that beige goo in yours usually means it's contaminated with water, either from a flood or from short rides that build up condensation.
If you see that again change it again and take a LONG ride to get it nicely heated up and boil the water out of the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts