Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was adjusting my clutch cable and I did it by the book by loosening everything and then doing that turn on the adjustment screw with the locknut til it's lightly tight and backing off a half a turn ****. Ive done that like 20 times and seen that when I tighten it to much the clutch seems to pull the cable until it "pops" loose. Sounds like it's coming from the base of the cable (toward the engine) but I've opened everything up and couldn't see anything. Do you guys know why the hell my cable pops loose when I tighten it the way I want it? I feel like there's even more free play in the clutch lever then there should be but it still likes to pop loose. I believe my clutch plates are pretty worn though. Maybe that would explain why I can't tighten it up like I want it because when the lever is a smidge looser than I want it, it doesn't pop loose. What isn't being seated properly? Is something too worn? Plz help

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
381 Posts
the bike and photos would help, which end is popping loose? it sounds like the end on the handle.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Sounds like it is coming loose on the engine side. Maybe the connector plug is worn or the arm. Type of bike and pictures would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It pops loose inside of the clutch cover. There is an arm thing that clutch connects to and when I tighten the adjuster screw it somehow puts the cable back into place. If there's too little Freeplay in the clutch lever it pops out again

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
While I was getting ready to post incorrect instructions you posted the video. Now I remember those bikes.
Are you installing a small cotter key like is seen in the video? (That is what is supposed to keep the cable in place). If you are then the slot in the arm must be worn out or bent allowing the ball of the cable to come out.

S F

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it's the slot I think that's worn somehow. I don't know where else it would come from. So what's the piece you think needs replaced?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also nothing looked bent or broken for where the cable feeds into the slot but it's interesting that it pops when I tighten up the cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll tell you what though, the spring just outside of that cotter pin is kinda bent up. Do you think that might do something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My spring looks shitty compared to that. Do you think it's popping out of that metal sheath in the left corner?

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
that's not me in the video but that's my bike
My spring looks shitty compared to that. Do you think it's popping out of that metal sheath in the left corner?
I'm confused. If that's your bike, how can the 2 springs look different?

It just seems if that's your bike then we and you should be seeing exactly what you are seeing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I wouldn't ask you guys for help and be making a how to video lol. That is the same model of my bike but not my actual bike.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Good thing we weren’t talking about females so no reason to say, that’s my wife, referring to just any female. I get it now. Thanks for clearing it up.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
I would start with that spring. Replace it. It is isn't keeping proper tension on the cable all bets are off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm gonna buy a used clutch pack off ebay and see if replacing mine helps things because the cable doesn't pop loose when the adjuster screw is out. Meaning my clutch plates or springs might be worn to begin with since I have had high torque or rpm slippage from the get-go. They're only about 69 bucks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts