Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Brakes first. Shift down while braking. Type of bike would help. You ease out the clutch on long stroke four strokes. Who cares with high reving two strokes.
Practice in a straight line.

UK

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If I'm going to stop, I'll start braking like UK says, then start using my clutch and shifting down. In an emergency situation, I'll get on the front brake, clutch and rear brake all at once. Concentrate on maintaining control, avoiding obstacles and getting through the situation. Then I'll start downshifting to get out of anyone else's way.
(Someone else may be following your lead through the problem.)

·
Very Famous Person
9,724 Posts
--

RG is correct. In an emergency stop, back off the throttle, hit the brakes first and immediately follow with the clutch. Don't worry about trying to downshift in that kind of situation. You have enough to just pay attention to trying to avoid the problem ahead without worrying about "being in the right gear". Then when you are in control and you know what maneuvers you need to take is the time to do your shifting and accelerating.

If your stop or slow allows, you can just back off on the throttle, touch brakes as necessary, then shift for maneuvers.

--

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
Depends. Normal just observing the scenery I use the engine to brake so clutch first to down shift then brake. But quick slow down like going into a corner too hot then brake then clutch to down shift. That one falls under emergency braking as explained above. So it depends.:) :) :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Slow down or leave more room between you and the next vehicle. Braking consumes available traction so beware in turns. Progressively apply brakes in an emergency stop, don't just grab a handful all at once or you can dump your bike.

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
Good advice guys but... Sani has left the building 23 days ago and not returned.
Good advice is good advice though, maybe somebody else can use it. (y)

S F 🏍

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
I agree SemiFast. I hope the lack of reply isn't because he/she failed to brake properly. But when they just vanish like this I wonder. Hopefully he/she was just a hit and run poster.

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
But when they just vanish like this I wonder.
Me to.
I hope they only lost interest and are doing fine with whatever they are into now.
Like some of our regulars that haven't been seen for months...

S F

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
Yeah, soupy, bikerdash, metaldoc are 3 just off the top of my head but there are a lot more. Soupy was almost telegraphing that he was about to go. But others just stopped cold. Those I really wonder about.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
What's a "seeding thread"?

My guess one you plant to see if it is going to grow?

Okay that is twice now I thought I had replied only to find the message still here waiting to be posted?

·
Very Famous Person
9,724 Posts
--

No, those posters mentioned above were contributors for some time and had a count of some numbers, not just start-up members.

--

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
171 Posts
A thread started to add post count and activity (or could be as @hogcowboy suggest), often worded to cause controversy which builds post count. It has no real owner, the owner is fake.
Hmm...doesn't seem like a seed thread then. The OP hasn't posted here or anywhere else since making this thread.

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,066 Posts
Thought I would add to this, as it is what I do in my truck and on the bikes. I don't push (or pull) in the clutch until almost stopped and as I go through the gears, up or down, I don't use the clutch either then.

There are many I wonder about as where they are, but it is winter time and some just don't think bikes during this time of year in the northern hemisphere. Then also we lost a few on the changes too, I was also skeptical but like it now mostly. They might be back at some point heck I left too for a long time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hmm...doesn't seem like a seed thread then. The OP hasn't posted here or anywhere else since making this thread.
I would consider a real member posting a seeding thread to be a conversation starter, they post, others post, they return to post, etc. Seeding is done using a fake membership, sometimes done by administrators/owners or forum investors to raise post counts, the fake member never returns or maybe only makes 2-3 posts and is gone, similar to a drive by poster who seems to be a lot of them here as well. No finger pointing, just an observation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts