Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the better part of a month looking for a step up from my step-son's XR50. I've looked at a lot of crap.
Then I found what I'm hoping is a diamond in the rough, a 2006 Suzuki DR-Z125. It's a little bit bigger than what I was looking for, but I had no success in the 80-100 cc bikes, so my girlfriend and I decided on this 125. She's under the impression that the bike just needs an oil change, new plug and some minor adjustments and off he goes.
There's one minor sticking point, the clutch plates are shot. I'd like to avoid telling his mom this, somethings she doesn't need to know, if she knows, she worries to no end about. "OMG! It needs a clutch! We got a lousy deal!".

So what I'd like to know, are the directions I found at visordown.com/articles/view/diy__clutch_change/2444.html
comprehensive enough to do the job? Is there any special tools I need?
Does anyone know the torque specs?

I'd consider myself a pretty successful DIY guy, I've replaced clutches in cars, I've rebuilt automobile and small engine carbs. I can and do fabricate parts when necessary. How much time do you think I'm looking at?

Aside from oil change and a new spark plug, is there any other maintenance that I should do while I'm getting greasy?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well as it turns out, I won't find out yet if those directions are comprehensive enough or not.
I didn't mention that we picked the bike up about fourteen hours before I started this thread, while I gave the bike a really good once over, looking for "Run away fast" type problems, when the owner said the clutch was shot, I just took his word for it, since I didn't see anything to indicate a different problem. Turns out, the clutch, while no spring chicken was severely out of adjustment.
I may need to change that clutch next year, but not this weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts