Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!!

Newbie here, just bought my first bike roughly a month ago. LOVE IT SO MUCH. It's a 2006 ZX6R (ZX636) with roughly 22K miles. It's got some scuffs and stuff, but it adds to its charm.

Anyway, I am having one issue that makes me super uncomfortable: the cluster/dashboard (not sure what to call it - but literally the entire "THING" where the speedometer and turn signal light and stuff are) keeps switching on and off WHILE I'm riding!! Now, I need to make clear that the motorcycle still works totally fine - brakes, throttle, turn signals, they all still work when the cluster goes off. However, it's just the weirdest thing ever.

You know when you put your key in the ignition and turn it to on, and you see your cluster like "start up" ? Yea, that's what keeps happening while riding. I opened up my wind shield area, and just saw that the cluster is connected via one big black thick wire. I wiggled it, and nothing happened (everything stayed on).

Please advise if you have any insight!! THANK YOU <3:sad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a look at the battery, all terminals/connections seem to be intact. Opened the windshield area again and saw that the big black wire is pretty large and un-detachable. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Usually on those dashes with those sx it is a problem very close to that item, and is loosing connection inside the plug. So you will need to do a key on test (sometimes means the bike must be running) playing with that plug to see what is shaken and baken there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually on those dashes with those sx it is a problem very close to that item, and is loosing connection inside the plug. So you will need to do a key on test (sometimes means the bike must be running) playing with that plug to see what is shaken and baken there.
Thanks for the reply! A few questions:

1.) What is an sx, as you mentioned?
2.) Are you saying I will need to open up that big black wire connected to the cluster? If so, how? Exacto knife?
3.) What is a key on test?

Best!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Lol sorry sx means symptoms, but key on means what ever function it took when all is running normally for the lights to be lit. Some bikes that means running. I recently,worked on an R1 (yamaha) and was having similar issue on the headlights, turned out to be a bad worn out plug but to work it the relay had to gotten activated via it running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol sorry sx means symptoms, but key on means what ever function it took when all is running normally for the lights to be lit. Some bikes that means running. I recently,worked on an R1 (yamaha) and was having similar issue on the headlights, turned out to be a bad worn out plug but to work it the relay had to gotten activated via it running.
Got it! Now, the problem is that the only connection is that big black wire and it doesn't disconnect easily. It seems I would have to cut it open, run my bike idle, then just play around with the wires till I find the loose connection. Yea?

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Pretty much the skinny of it. Electrical grimlins can be chased all over the place so be very intentional with what you do if you take something apart document carefully where it was and goes. Otherwise it will turn into a ratsnest very quickly.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
PS get a schematic of that bike and study that as you go as well. If nothing else you will get familiar with your wiring compared to the schematic and really get it and to what is what.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Your welcome hope is gets sorted out, but just know it will not fix it's self, at least it is not a key system.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
I deleted all his stuff since he was ignoring the warnings and rules,maybe he will comply and I can restore them.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I’ve tried that too BK. Didn’t help. Just ban them. Rules are rules and as mods we certainly must follow them and help them to the door. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts