Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's no doubt about it, "Motorcycling" is a wonderful activity, if you have the time, money and stamina! I love it.

Sometimes we love riding alone, cutting our own path, going our own way on a whim, and sometimes we love riding with others. Sharing a commonly loved activity with others is part of what folks DO.

Take "Golf" for example (and I did a few years of that). You start out "together" (typically at least ONE other person with you) and go your separate ways for a while. Then later on, you gather together at the same destination, and then do it all over again, eighteen times. The "Nineteenth hole" (for those of you who are golfers and understand that term) is the final re-gathering, to share war stories........that ball that you never DID find.......etc..

Because folks will ride their motorcycles solo, and also in groups, I wondered if there were any Clubs out there that you WOULDN'T join, regardless. Not looking for specific names of Clubs necessarily.

When I first starting riding, many years ago, one of the first things I did, was look around for a Club that I thought might be worth being a part of. One criteria (and perhaps the most important to me at the time) was that the Club I joined, should have multiple Chapters, strewn all over the USA. The purpose for this requirement was that I assumed I would travel on my bike, thru many different States, and that "if I broke down," I would have a network of brothers/sisters that I could call, for help. (Sort of like having "Triple AAA" in my wallet, but without some of the cost).

In order to be able to feel as though the Club I would join was trustworthy, and wouldn't leave me out in the cold, I found myself examining their reputation, and size. Their influence and availability. Their focus and their principles.

In all your years of riding, did you ever "join a Club?" What was that experience like? Are you STILL in that Club? Did you leave and join another? Did you start one of your own? What motivated those decisions?

Have your Club riding experiences been everything that you hoped? Did you regret your decision? Has solo riding (if you didn't ever join a Club) ever left you in a lurch?

Here's a video on the subject, that you might enjoy. I'm not posting it for the particular Club in the video, but the "club" idea.......

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I ride a sport bike, but l would never join one of those sport bike clubs because, well, most guys who ride sport bikes are jerks :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Back in the 1960s when I first started riding there weren't a lot of motorcyclists around and a few of us formed an informal recreational club just to ride together. By the second year, we found ourselves caught between two rival outlaw motorcycle clubs that both wanted us to join them so we disbanded our recreational club. Don't want nothing to do with any outlaw club!

I am still looking for a local group of women riders - I'd like to have a few women friends to ride with from time to time - but haven't found any yet - might have to start a group.

There are local clubs but they like to ride in large groups but any more than a half dozen or a dozen riders is too big for me.

I did join an antique motorcycle club and they ride regularly. I like the antiquers because they are just in it for the pure love of motorcycles. No "posers" or pretenders, no pretence.

In my 50 years riding, I seem to always be riding alone :frown:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sport Bike Riders (Hawkaholic37) seem to have their priorities in speed, adrenalin and performance. Cruiser riders tend to attract me moreso, because they are more often laid back and want to see what they are driving by. That's not to say that I don't like Sport Bike Riders; but rather that I would have less of a tendency to ride with them, is all. They're not bad people really (especially guys like you) but their focus isn't in my vocabulary, is all.

Riding alone (Dianne) has been both a pleasure and a curse. I like it at times, and don't like it at other times. I'm sure you understand and agree.

-Soupy

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I'm not into the whole club thing, but our long rides are done with three other couples, so I like riding with others.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We like to participate in motorcycle charity ride events, and most of them are hosted by a local club of some sort. The last one we were on was hosted by the local Optimist club. They're not specifically a "motorcycle club" but I guess enough of their members ride bikes to organize the event.

We enjoy the rides with groups, but not so much to make me/us want to take the full plunge & join the club "full-time." We do like to ride with others though, and always enjoy making a few new contacts each time. :)

I wouldn't join the Blue Knights. :)
How bout the Blue Flamers then? :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I enjoy riding with a friend or two and might enjoy some of the club activities. But I have a friend who recently joined a large club organized like a 1% club without the illegal activities. He has to make certain rides and participate in certain activities or he is out. That alone would keep me from being interested. For him it is fine, but for me I just am not interested.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think I agree with Groucho Marx: "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"!

·
7,784 Posts
I would be proud to join the Blue Knights as I used to ride with them starting in 1974 and they are a fine LEO group.

I also rode a lot with the Choir Boys, another LEO group in Southern Calif.

I'm Pro Law Enforcement all the way---100%.

I would not ride with nor join an 'Outlaw group---1%' such as any of the low life scumbag criminal so called clubs.

I haven't yet but would join the CMA, the Christian Motorcycle Association, if I had the time to do so.

I did belong to and was the Road Captain for a large ABATE chapter-48, the Palm Springs chapter of the Harley owners group-HOG, GWRA-Goldwing riders association and a Harley club-Hogg riders and to District 37 the AMA sanctioned club for dirt bike racers, in Southern, CA.

Now, I prefer to ride alone or with no more than 3 or 4 riders.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
I am a member of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and love getting together with others that love those old bikes. It is a friendly group with a minimum of the politics a lot of other groups foster. Their is so much knowledge among the close to 4,000 members and that is very valuable for those of us puttering around on and working on old bikes. Now that I think about it, the only big group rides I have done is with antique/vintage bikes (Kickstart Classic and many VJMC rides).

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am a member of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and love getting together with others that love those old bikes. It is a friendly group with a minimum of the politics a lot of other groups foster. Their is so much knowledge among the close to 4,000 members and that is very valuable for those of us puttering around on and working on old bikes. Now that I think about it, the only big group rides I have done is with antique/vintage bikes (Kickstart Classic and many VJMC rides).

Cheers,

Mike
Your politics comment is what I am dealing with. The club I belong to has started getting picky about several things. It is not that I disagree with the ideas, it is the pressure to conform. I would like to find a group that was not so structured.

I belonged to the Honda Rides of America when I first bought my bike but did not attend meetings so I let that membership laps.
I am not a fan of some of AMA's agendas but they do support well. Again I let that laps. (You see a pattern here? :) )

·
7,784 Posts
For a motorcycle club to work, there has to be structure and thus rules and by-laws to enforce them. Someone has to run the meetings and someone has to take minutes. Normally there is a treasurer. A road Captain is nice, that knows the route(s) to take, where to stop and takes into consideration the riding abilities of the followers. Someone should be a 'safety officer,' to critique any dangerous behavior.

Believe me, having a loose structure is a poor situation.

Sam:):coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
Clubs

Dianne beat me with the Groucho comment. I have no real interest in a bike club. Used to be a member of AMA and CMA for my race licences.
Now Yacht clubs are another matter, and I could go on for a long time about the pros and cons of those places.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Nightfly
4,335 Posts
For a motorcycle club to work, there has to be structure and thus rules and by-laws to enforce them. Someone has to run the meetings and someone has to take minutes. Normally there is a treasurer. A road Captain is nice, that knows the route(s) to take, where to stop and takes into consideration the riding abilities of the followers. Someone should be a 'safety officer,' to critique any dangerous behavior.

Believe me, having a loose structure is a poor situation.

Sam:):coffeescreen:
Thanks for reminding me. You list many of the reasons I would never join a motorcycle club. I like my independence more than I enjoy group rides. I'll meet you there, but I prefer to find my own way, in my own time. The structure of which you speak is more like control. I found I don't need that sort of stability and order to function. I also realize there are those that do.

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
Clubs

Forgot to mention.
We have an informal club on my Island. Had four members, and we would meet for coffee up Island. But Dave died, and George quit riding his motorcycle. So now it is just Roy on his Harley, and me. But Roy's daughter has started riding, so we may be back up to three soon. And Rose down the bottom of the Island has a scooter, but she is currently sailing towards Australia. Reminds me, I better go check on David and Roses place when I get back. Make sure the scooter and truck and car are still there.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only "club" that I am a part of isn't a club at all. No dues, no offices, no rules, just ride together (or not) and enjoy it. As often as not I like to just invite one or two, but we do have get togethers (we don't like the term meeting) to plan rides and trips.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts