Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a 40 something going through a mid-life crises! I decided to DAS and get a bike :) I like the look of the Triumph Street Triple but clothing is an issue I don't have a massive budget was thinking a leather jacket and motorcycle jeans! But seems a minefield of choice. Although budget is tight I'd rather not get something cheap that's not going to protect me when I do come off...

Was going to post a link to my Amazon gift list showing the budget stuff I'm looking at but too much of a newbie to be allowed to do such things :(

So any suggestions on what you'd buy on a tight budget?

Thanks

Andy

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Jeans from Walmart. T-shirts from various bike rallies. Boots I already have from work. I'd say I'm out maybe 35 clams for a basic warm weather riding outfit. I did buy a purpose made leather riding jacket maybe 25 years ago or more, so the cost of that has been spread out over many years. Gloves were maybe 5 or 10 bucks from a vendor at a rally. If it's really chilly I'll put on some long johns, which I have anyway and didn't buy special.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Inexpensive but good gear can be found in many places online, look for closeouts and sales. I've bought from cyclegear, jafrum, leatherup, dennis kirk,and probably others I'm not remembering at the moment.
A decent armored textile jacket and pants both with zip in linings can be had for $150, and a pair of leather boots for less than $75. This is what I wear 3/4 of the year, 12,000 miles on that gear this year and it's hardly worn. Hottest summer days I leave off the armored pants and wear regular jeans with my jacket. I might get some armored jeans this year.
Leather gear varies a LOT in prices, I'm sure you get what you pay for but I prefer the textile stuff anyway. I did stumble across a Wilson leather biker style (but not really bike gear) leather jacket 2 weeks go in a thrift store, for $17 and a perfect fit I couldn't resist, it's not armored but fairly heavy leather.
I'm wearing the leather jacket as a winter coat right now but I'm sure I'll ride in it one day when I want to reveal the inner bad ass biker hiding under my 51 year old disguise. :coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Check eBay too. Especially in regards to Kevlar jeans. Can sometimes find bargains there. Jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet if ya want and you are in business. Kevlar jeans and leather jacket gives you the greatest protection. Walmart boots that tie or zip and plain work gloves. Then you just need to worry about your noggin.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Check out Motorcyclegear.com's closeout section.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I would suggest deciding what protection is important to you. If you worry about road rash, check the skid protection in the jackets you are considering. My HD winter jacket and my Joe Rocket summer mesh jacket both have very good protection for the day when I fall off the bike and slide a hundred yards. That kind of protection is important to me so that is what I looked for in my riding gear. I use a 3/4 DOT helmet that fits me well because a helmet that you will not use is worthless. If you are one of the people who will be "riding on the edge" maybe pants and gloves that will let you walk away from a low side accident with no damage are important to you. I am not that kind of rider so dressing that way is just not for me. If you actually think you want protection from an impact, maybe you need to find a different mid-life activity. Protection from an impact is basically not available at any price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cycle gear if you have on there. Or look online. leatherup.com, motorcycle superstore, theres tons of places. Invest in gear I promise you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got armored jacket, pants, and gloves for $125 total from a vendor who was leaving the business and selling off his display stock.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Jeans from Walmart. T-shirts from various bike rallies. Boots I already have from work. I'd say I'm out maybe 35 clams for a basic warm weather riding outfit. I did buy a purpose made leather riding jacket maybe 25 years ago or more, so the cost of that has been spread out over many years. Gloves were maybe 5 or 10 bucks from a vendor at a rally. If it's really chilly I'll put on some long johns, which I have anyway and didn't buy special.
^^^^ A man that knows how to dress for the ride! :thumbsup: (Pretty much the way I saddle up.) :icon_cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
My suggestion for getting 'gear' is to check local rallies in your area. If you wait until the last day of the rally, you can 'haggle' a bit more, and get even better deals, so the vendors don't have to 'pack it up'. They'll usually rather sell cheaper to you than take it back home. That's how I got much of my 'gear'; vest normally $40 at the beginning of the rally, but got for $25 at the end, summer textile jacket was $55 but got for $35, $80 kevlar jeans were $35 (and he was down to only 3 pairs left), and $40 gloves were $25 as a 'package deal' with $140 saddlebags for $120. Right now, I wear a leather jacket and chaps which I got at an auction for $75 for BOTH, and steel-toed boots I got a Wal-mart for $35, and the $40 gauntlets I got for $25, with a leather covered half-helmet I got off eBay for $40, which came with goggles and visor.

It all depends on where and when you look, but 'bargains' can be found!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts