Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, on C90T with wife on back, heading out for a an early dinner/late lunch, about 1/4 mile down my street I'm running about 25, car coming from other direction.....no indication whatsoever that she was about to turn left....I hit the brakes, wife slammed into my back...stopped just in the nick of time(front tire inches from car when I stopped, I looked at her face as she drove by)

This was old womans driveway, I waited for her to get out of the car, then told her she really needs to look before turning so she doesn't kill anybody( I wasn't mean, wife was amazed).....she said did I turn in front of you....yes....I'm so sorry....ok drive off

She walks across the street and asks who we were, they told her, then they let her have it saying they already had their phones out to call 911 because there was no way anybody could have avoided that wreck

They told her who my wifes mother is.....lives on up the street and she called her, M-N-Law gave her wifes phone number and she called wife later last night to apologize

Hopefully she will start looking

As my daddy taught me and I taught my sons......its NOT I don't see anything......It is I see there is nothing......big difference

Lets be careful out there(hill st. Blues)

·
7,784 Posts
Glad you were on the ball man and things turned out well!!!!

Sam:)

·
Visionary
3,834 Posts
Yikes! Glad you handled that so well!

·
American Legion Rider
21,861 Posts
You simply have to figure people will do exactly what you hope they won’t. Sometimes though I swear they are just out to kill us. Glad you were on your game there anybike.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
303 Posts
I told both my sons when they started driving, and I tell everyone else.....treat every vehicle you can see as if they are about to do something stupid.... All the time they are telling me how that sunk in and it has saved them form accidents countless times. So........treat every vehicle you can see as if they are about to do something stupid...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Crashes caused by a vehicle turning left in front of a motorcycle is the most common, or one of the most common that occurs. In addition to being observant to avoid such a situation, there are some things that a rider can do that can make this less likely. First is to position yourself so that it is more likely that the oncoming driver sees you. Making sure that a vehicle ahead of you is not blocking the oncoming car's view of you is one thing you can do. Moving back and forth in the lane can help since a moving headlight is more likely to be noticed than a fixed headlight. Using your hi beam during the day adds a great deal to your being seen. And increasing the number of lights on the bike, and my favorite, switching to a modulating headlight, can make a world of difference. When I see a smallish bike, with a small headlight on low beam, and the bike is black and the rider is all in black, I see a crash just waiting to happen. Wearing a white or bright colored helmet, in and of itself, can make the rider much more visible and likely to alert an oncoming driver.

Reactions: Porky

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Riding to the ferry one morning, on the main road. Pickup on a side road, stops and pulls out in front of me.
As usual I expect that sort of thing to happen, so was close to the center line, and only need to bear left a bit.
Later on the ferry, he came and found me, to apologize. Said his GF was thumping him and yelling, there is a bike coming. Cage drivers get fixated too.
Screaming does not fix the problem. It is done, and might even cause the cage driver not to care about bikes.
See the thread about the mother and kids sitting on a guys bike. I know it is hard to stay calm and sensible, as the OP did here.
My RV ( red van ) got backed in to. DP ( deep purple ) got knocked over in the ferry line up. Noddy the triumph got knocked over at the coffee shop.
The blankidy blankidy son of a bleep bleep plumber was supposed to be working today, and he showed up missing, the G dam aerosol son of a pipe fitting two bit left handed fermion no good, to be continued. UK

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I see a smallish bike, with a small headlight on low beam, and the bike is black and the rider is all in black, I see a crash just waiting to happen. Wearing a white or bright colored helmet, in and of itself, can make the rider much more visible and likely to alert an oncoming driver.
Yep, that used to be me... but as the bones have gotten a bit more brittle (and my head a tad softer...) I've changed my tune... Almost always wear something bright, padded/armored and try to stay visible... Not really all the gear all the time, but enough bright/reflective stuff that i feel more visible anyway...

·
7,784 Posts
Forget about just bikes. Bubba and Cletus don't even bother to turn on their headlight BUBS when it is so foggy you can't see 10 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bubs don't even go on until an hour after DARK, you know, so they don't wear their bubs out.

Remember, they are all out to kill us unfortunately.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday went out on road with the big curves, horseshoe after horseshoe.
I get to the second section and I'm feeling pretty good

Diving into a left and before coming out what do I see.....a semi coming right at me

I took it quickly to the outside and lived thru the encounter......a car would not have made it

We also have what's called Brown Ridge, only a couple horseshoes, occasionally there is a semi

Thing is.....no matter where they're coming from or going to, there is at least one better way

Most people in cars avoid the ridge, ifyou play nascar on the ridge there's good chance of not making it...so they have to slow down.......but recently I've been running into more and more idiots that think both lanes are for them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts