Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a leather jacket that's getting a bit dirty, I'm assuming with bug guts and whatnot. Anyone have any tips for cleaning it? Thanks for any help.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Saddlesoap will clean leather fine, but follow up with some Fiebings Mink Oil and will leave it shiny, soft and pliable and last for Years ..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
There's an old Bikers' tale that you never clean your leather jacket. If you do, you will wreck. You can brush off the bugs and work your favorite leather care product into it, but you never wash it or have it cleaned professionally.:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will look into some Saddle Soap and Mink Oil this Winter when it's too cold to ride. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For me, I do clean it by rubbing wet cloth with washing detergent, and fabric conditioner. and put some oil for shiny effect

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Turtle wax has a leather cleaner, and a leather conditioner that works well....

I've used it on my boots.

Don't think I've ever cleaned my jacket, but I don't wear it often either.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lexol (recommended by alpinestars). That was on a $600 racing leather for my sportbike. Been using it on my jackets (cheaper cruiser jacket too ). Keeps them nice and supple. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. It's available at Walmart and auto parts stores like auto zone

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Gotta luv GatorJoe..........he means well......."Saddle Soap" is a coditioner for AFTER you've cleaned it.

If the jacket is REALLY grodi, take it to a Dry Cleaner. If you have a Tanner (leather shop) nearby, they would be an even BETTER choice!

Wanna DIY? Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and water, or Windex even!! THEN work in the Saddle Soap!

Think of it this way.......... how would you wash a cow?!

There's a video on YouTube of a biker going through a car wash on his motorcycle. I suppose you could always do that, and make a lot of people freak out!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
There's an old Bikers' tale that you never clean your leather jacket. If you do, you will wreck. You can brush off the bugs and work your favorite leather care product into it, but you never wash it or have it cleaned professionally.:)
Oh Crap I'm a dead man.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lol..my friend rides a 2015 road glide. I will stick to the lexol. If you find something that works, stick to it. ...that's my motto. Don't care for H.D. not my style. It's too bad the japs out do us (in my opinion). No offense to all the harley folks

Not to worry. You can order it on-line from Ronnie's HD and they'll send it right to your door.

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Ive been wondering about the same thing too, do I risk my life and limb for cleanliness or continue on with my buggy leather but my body intact. Decisions decisions
But at least a clean and bug-free one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
In all honesty, i wouldn't step foot in a harley dealership

Yep, if you do your bike will start leaking oil and you'll be dressing like a pirate with a leather fetish within 5 minutes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts