Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am 18 and I am looking into purchasing my first ever street bike. I have been riding dirt bikes my whole life, not competitively but I have a farm and go almost every weekend. I have read many forums saying ninja 300 or something in the 300 cc range, however I really don't like the sport bike feel. I like naked bikes better. Also I plan on doing a lot of highway commuting, not the first few weeks but eventually. My dealer told me the fz07 is a good bike but others have said its not a good starter bike. I looked into the duke 390 and like it but dealerships near me don't seem to have it. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a bike that can definitely go on the highway, is a good starter bike, and has abs (my dad said I had to get one with abs). It doesn't have to be a naked bike I just prefer them to sport bikes. I felt more comfortable sitting on the Fz07 than the R3 I sat on. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, forgot to mention I already took the MSF in my city and got my
License. Wasn't to fond of the bikes that they had at the course, want something bigger than a Honda Rebel and sportier looking. Sorry that I am so specific!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, going and sitting on things is a good way to see what you like. I believe the Ninja 300 has a more upright seating position than a typical sport bike, if that's what you're after.

Since you're not new to riding, perhaps something like the Honda CB500F, which you can get with ABS, might be worth a look. It's light and has 40+HP, which should do the freeway. Given that you're 18, anything over 500cc is going to cost a lot to insure.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Are you after a brand new bike? If so either get a different dealer or make yours work for you. They can do a dealer transfer to get you the bike you like and feels comfortable. Matter of fact just go see more dealers just to "feel" different bikes. Some might even let you test ride. Buying a new bike is fun. So have some. New or used buying is fun time. Until $$$$ raises it's ugly head.:D

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
If you want something kind of sporty, but not a full-on sport bike, then l would suggest a CB500, like was already suggested, or maybe a GS500 Suzuki. Yamaha has also come out with a cool new bike, called the SR400. All of these would be great starter.

Not to be disrespectful to your Dad, but l think that ABS is a bad idea for new riders. A new rider needs to learn how to ride well, and how to be in complete control of their bike. Braking is one of the key factors. I believe that the guy who learns to brake effectively without ABS will be a better, safer rider.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want something kind of sporty, but not a full-on sport bike, then l would suggest a CB500, like was already suggested, or maybe a GS500 Suzuki. Yamaha has also come out with a cool new bike, called the SR400. All of these would be great starter.

Not to be disrespectful to your Dad, but l think that ABS is a bad idea for new riders. A new rider needs to learn how to ride well, and how to be in complete control of their bike. Braking is one of the key factors. I believe that the guy who learns to brake effectively without ABS will be a better, safer rider.
^^^Completely agree about the ABS. You're dad is worried, as any parent would be and I don't blame him for it. However ABS doesn't stop you from having an accident, and when used improperly it can make a bad situation worse.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
^^^Completely agree about the ABS. You're dad is worried, as any parent would be and I don't blame him for it. However ABS doesn't stop you from having an accident, and when used improperly it can make a bad situation worse.
More than that, l think it quickly becomes a crutch for the rider who doesn't know any different. What l did when l started riding, and still do from time to time, is practice braking. When you are riding along, and you don't have anyone on your tail, make a quick stop and see how well you do. Pay attention to how much the front grabs versus the rear. The more often you brake, the more it will become second nature. Then you get a bike with ABS and you can really stop in no time flat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first bike was a Ninja 500r, it has an upright riding position so you won't have that sport bike feel, I think its called a ninja just for name recognition since it feels more like a standard.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Another vote for the Honda CB500f. The ergos are comfy, and it is not too heavy. I think ABS is a good thing. The only time it comes into play is during a panic stop, and will prevent your wheels from locking up. I don't see how that can be bad in any circumstance regardless of the level of experience of the rider. I've only had one bike with it, and I like the idea, as long as the brakes are not linked. I refuse to buy any bike with linked brakes.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Go to a local multi-brand dealer and sit on anything that appeals to you. When one of them screams your name you may have found the right bike. I am assuming you are not dumb enough to start out on a multi-cylinder liter bike even though you have some (bad habits) experience from dirt riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts