Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, thanks for helping. I'm looking for my first bike, mostly for commuting and getting around the city. The problem is I'm 6'5 and am picky about the look of the bike. I've read lots of post suggesting a dirtbike or larger sportbike, and i like their more upright riding position but i just want a simple classic looking standard bike without all that much power. I like the naked look, but am not 100% all about it. I really like the look of the old school brittish bikes and cafe racer style like the 1970s Honda CBs and BMWs but I wory about reliability. So to sum it up I want a tall bike, classic looking standard not sporty, but newer and reliable. Ps I'm looking for used because price range is around $3000. Is there anything out there? The best fit I've found is the BMW K75, and actually I really like it. Any thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks a lot!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Honda Nighthawk 750. They made them up until 2003. Alternatively, you might be able to find something like a Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys.

·
track junkie
797 Posts
sv650. i'm not sure if it's specifically made for "tall guys" but it's everything else you're looking for. sit on one.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Okay, let me recommend you find a really clean K75 and make it part of the deal that it clears muster at a BMW dealership. They were great bikes with good sound and touring gear available (would we expect anything else from BMW).

The best part and hardest to establish is that you've already scoped them out and know you like it.

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about having one. I never cared for the 1000, but the 750 triple was really appealing to me. I knew a few guys who had them and really liked them - a lot.

I will tell you the SV is a tight squeeze with the pegs. The Nighthawk is really great, if you like them. I don't know how it would fit you. I had an older Nighthawk S and absolutely loved that bike, fit me like a glove, but was nearly too tight for my 32" inseam, but the 750 is more open with lower more forward pegs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hey, thanks for helping. I'm looking for my first bike, mostly for commuting and getting around the city. The problem is I'm 6'5 and am picky about the look of the bike. I've read lots of post suggesting a dirtbike or larger sportbike, and i like their more upright riding position but i just want a simple classic looking standard bike without all that much power. I like the naked look, but am not 100% all about it. I really like the look of the old school brittish bikes and cafe racer style like the 1970s Honda CBs and BMWs but I wory about reliability. So to sum it up I want a tall bike, classic looking standard not sporty, but newer and reliable. Ps I'm looking for used because price range is around $3000. Is there anything out there? The best fit I've found is the BMW K75, and actually I really like it. Any thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks a lot!
Im 6ft4in and also a classic bike lover. Ive got and ride a few "classic" bikes.

My 1975 CB400F is super tight to ride...you would hate it.

My 1975 CB550 is actually pretty nice and I have plenty of room....but then Im comfortable riding little bikes so maybe it wouldnt work for you.

My 1980 KZ1000 is great.....roomier then the CB550. 1000cc sounds like alot of power but its not unmanageable.....its old school, low end grunt.....not rip your arms out of their sockets crotch rocket power.

My advise is a KZ900 or KZ1000 on the Kaw side.....or a CB750 (little bigger then my CB550) on the Honda side.

You can buy a good low mileage example for around $1000 to $1500 in my area.....add a couple tires and a tune up and you should be good to go for under $2000.

My first and only bike for my first year of cycling was that KZ1000....I put 20K miles on it in a year and did nothing to it except oil changes and swing arm bushings (par for an older bike). The CB550 has also proved very reliable.

Ive honestly never been stranded on an older bike....as long as you buy a fairly well cared for bike and look it over well and take care of any issues you should be just fine.

I LOVE classic looking bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi-

I'm 6'4" and I just bought my first bike. I was looking at similar ones (really like the naked super standards). I got a 1984 Nighthawk 700s, only had it a few days so I cannot speak to reliability, but it fits really well, I feel safe and sturdy leaning it, my knees are not in my throat, and I feel like I have good balance since my butt is higher than my knees

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi-

I'm 6'4" and I just bought my first bike. I was looking at similar ones (really like the naked super standards). I got a 1984 Nighthawk 700s, only had it a few days so I cannot speak to reliability, but it fits really well, I feel safe and sturdy leaning it, my knees are not in my throat, and I feel like I have good balance since my butt is higher than my knees
I just looked up the Nighthawk 700s.....now that thing just oozes speed and power.....****.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts