Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on restoring/street legalizing my 1975 Suzuki TS185. its in great condition everywhere you look. however ive got a slight problem. ALL the original lights and equipment are missing (Headlight, tail light, turn signals, battery, speedometer) so its gonna cost some cash to get it all back together. It also doesnt want to Idle. I completely replaced the fuel lines, cleaned out the carb, and re-sealed the petcock but in this warmer weather my old bike doesnt want to idle. if i let the rpm's go below 3000 it immediately dies. Its got good compression though because i cant even kick the starter but i have to put my entire weight into it. Some things im not doing right that might cause this are

a-ive got no air filter
b-im using basically double the oil in the fuel mixture (i put oil/gas mixed in the gas tanks plus the 2 stroke oil injector)

i called my local suzuki dealer and talked to the parts guy and he said "b" Is probly the cause of the anti-idling. Anyways if you guys have any tips or advice for my problem its greatly appreciated.
happy easter

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
The lack of air cleaner is a big problem when it comes to two strokes, especially those without reed valves.

Also, it sounds like maybe your carb needs a cleaning. These carbs have two jets, the main jet that takes over at a certain throttle position, and the pilot jet, which controls idle up to 1/8th throttle. If your pilot jet is clogged and the main is free, it'll run, but not idle!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack of air cleaner is a big problem when it comes to two strokes, especially those without reed valves.

Also, it sounds like maybe your carb needs a cleaning. These carbs have two jets, the main jet that takes over at a certain throttle position, and the pilot jet, which controls idle up to 1/8th throttle. If your pilot jet is clogged and the main is free, it'll run, but not idle!
thanks for the tip. does it really matter what air filter i put in it? the original was a black foam im pretty sure but it might be cheaper and better to get a new paper conical type filter that most people put on their bikes

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
It is a pretty complex thing for two strokes. If you change the air filter, you may need to rejet.

What happened to the stock airbox?

·
Registered
419 Posts
2 t's are temperamental *******s. You can do as much as sneeze and it won't run right. Have you pulled the plug out and look at it? Is it black and durty? i think it's a mix of durty carb like toehead said, and needing to re-jet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts