Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Kawasaki KZ550, and it started making a noise recently. When I'm at anything other than a low speed, and I let off the throttle or pull the clutch in, I hear a clanking noise coming from the engine. It's hard to explain the actual noise, but it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. It keeps doing it until I accelerate again on slow down a good bit. Any idea what it could be?

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
It could be as simple as a cam chain loose, and hitting the case, or as bad as piston slap. Can you hear it at all at idle? If you use a mechanic's stethoscope, or the low-budget version, a length of tubing with a bolt in one end, to probe around the engine, can you hear it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't hear it at idle. Does that hint at anything?
I'll have to try the stethoscope.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The stethoscope should reveal a slight noise that you can't hear normally, especially any clunking coming from the pistons or crank. Try revving it, too, to see if it happens on engine decel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the bolt and tube trick, and couldn't really tell if I was hearing anything. It was really hard to tell. It doesn't seem to make a noise on decel either. I only notice the noise when I'm up to speed and I let off of the throttle. Does that hint at one thing rather than the other?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get the same thing on my CBF 250 - it's driving me nuts! I only ever hear it when I let off the throttle. It's a kind of repetitive 'clunking' sound coming from the left side of the engine, near my foot peg. I thought It might be a loose chain, but my chain and sprockets were only replaced a few weeks ago and I've recently had the chain tensioning done...so I'm a bit baffled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts