Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 74 CL360 with 7,968 miles that smokes just some times, any ways iv done a compression test. One was 150 and the other was 155, Thats better than i expected, or am i wrong? Changed the oil twice in the 5,000 mile iv put on it. The oil level drops slowly, but i have no leaks, and the smoke is blue.(Sorry guys hard to explain) Its smokes after i rev it up, the moment revs begin to fall,it does seem inconsistent tho. But iv allso had it start smoking bad for a lil bit, then just quit smoking.Thats happend 3-5 time.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Perhaps Valve stem seal? They get hard after several years and all of a sudden start allowing oil to get past .
My Family and friends help me get a 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B 900 going that had sat in a barn not running fom 1994-2008, for first year after getting it going again, no problem, changed the oil and filter several times, now all of a sudden when first started and occassionally on warm start smokes quite a bit. After bike is warmed up really good, doesn't smoke

·
Registered
16 Posts
could be rings, try to do a compression pressure bleed down test.

Put pressure tester in a spark plug hole and turn the engine over for a split second with the start switch off.

Note the pressure and give it a couple hours to bleed down.

If it stays the same, move to a new cylinder and repeat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You have to ask yourself how oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Valve stem seals came up, possible, usually only see this on start-up after the bike has sat, unless they are really bad, rings are a possibility also. compression levels vary based on bike, check the manuel and see what your range should be, check bike after engine is warm, if low, squirt a small amount of oil in cylinder, if goes up, rings, (oil temporarily sealed the rings, I don't focus so much on total psi as long as its close, more important to look for differences between cylinders, anything over 10% is not good. I prefer the leak down method, I have a matco leak down tester, duel gauge, bring cylinder to TDC, thread hose into spark plug hole, set regulator on tool, plug in hose to duel gauge outlet, shows percentage of leakage, then you remove oil cap and listen, listen at airbox and exhaust pipe, if there is a leak you will hear it. I plan on posting a video on "how to" when i am allowed. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts