Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1973 Honda CL125S, and the rear suspension bottoms out on the smallest of bumps to the point where I just don't want to ride it anymore. Now I understand I'm too heavy for the thing at 250lb+ but I figured I could put stiffer springs on the back and it would be a lot better. Can anyone recommend some that will fit?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I'm not familiar with your bike but doesn't it have preload adjustments you can make. Here's a YouTube video so you know what I'm referring to. It may help you as well.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
If so then I'd look for shocks off a bike designed for two-up riding. Right length a diameter of the holes and of course adjustable. I don't know if you can change just the springs but even if you could I'd bet it would require compressing them which would be a chore. So I'd go for the whole works. Maybe someone here knows exactly which ones would work so give it time for folks to wake up here.:smile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If so then I'd look for shocks off a bike designed for two-up riding. Right length a diameter of the holes and of course adjustable. I don't know if you can change just the springs but even if you could I'd bet it would require compressing them which would be a chore. So I'd go for the whole works. Maybe someone here knows exactly which ones would work so give it time for folks to wake up here.
Thanks for your help. I'll wait to see if anyone recommends anything, and if not I'll see about measuring and trying to find something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to check the measurements, but I'm probably going to buy these. They are adjustable, and not 46 years old so I think they should be good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I pulled one of the old ones off and measured it. It is a hair over 12" eye to eye and those new ones I linked are 12.5", so I'm not sure they will work...

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
If it were me, I'd do it. What you currently have may have collapsed or compressed with age. Don't do it because I would though because I don't know exactly what you are dealing with. Maybe someone can shed light on what the correct length replacement should be. But my thinking is with the extra length you might not bottom out as easily. That's not that much longer. Not like the 13 3/16" I also see listed for that bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it were me, I'd do it. What you currently have may have collapsed or compressed with age. Don't do it because I would though because I don't know exactly what you are dealing with. Maybe someone can shed light on what the correct length replacement should be. But my thinking is with the extra length you might not bottom out as easily. That's not that much longer. Not like the 13 3/16" I also see listed for that bike.
I'm thinking the same thing, I went ahead and ordered them.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I really wish one of the suspension gurus would chime in here but I honestly think you'll be fine. If you have a motorcycle jack it will make the swap a heck of a lot easier too. But you can make a very cheap way to lift the bike like in this video.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts