Motorcycle Forum banner

Chroming or Ceramic Coating exhaust pipes

14K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Critter 
#1 · (Edited)
I am restoring a 1973 Honda CL350. I have a nice set of used exhaust pipes that have some pitting mostly close to the heads. Does anyone on the forum know where I might get them re-chromed or perhaps ceramic coated? The Closer to Upstate NY the better

#2 ·
If you look in a phone book you might find platers in there under chrome or plating. You can also sand and paint them with header paint for cars with good results. It comes in black, white, and silver. Sand the headers good with 220 grit paper until smooth but not mirror shiney. Follow the directions on the can to the letter. Run the eninge at idle for 15 minutes with a fan in front of it to cure the paint. Don't rev it. it will smoke and stink until it cures. BBQ grill paint works too.

You used to be able to send stuff to Jet-Hot coatings to get it coated. It's not cheap. http://www.jet-hot.com/

#4 ·
JetHot might not be cheap; but it's unequaled in durability and heat transferred. I would NOT spend the money if the pipes are dented or badly pitted. But the coating is tough as nails and coats both the outside AND inside of the pipe. If the pipe is in decent shap and original, especially if it is hard to find, I think it would make an excellent investment.

#5 ·
High Temperature Coatings are designed to improve the performance of exhaust systems. These coatings prevent corrosion, increase durability and provide thermal insulation. Ceramic coating is an excellent thermal barrier. The most advanced exhaust system coating available. It is a very durable ceramic reinforced coating available in a variety of colors. A very effective corrosion inhibiting film is formed that protects the part against oxidation and imparts excellent chemical resistance that further extends part life and enhances appearance. Ceramic Coating about how to coat a RSD Tracker Pipe built by Vance & Hines - It takes about 5 days get a pipe covered with high-quality ceramic coating. Check out more at Automotive related blog A New Way Forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.