Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Motorcycle Forum!

I'm trying to choose the right motorcycle for me. Wich i can't do on my own. I'l write down some stuff or requirements to what the best bike for me should be able to do, or have etc. I have browsed bikes on YouTube and websites quite alot, but some feedback from here would be awesome!

So, the bike will be used mainly for every day traffic, and joy rides. I live in Amsterdam, and will be riding in and around it alot. Sometimes i will take a little longer trip, say maybe to the North of Holland. I am planning on going on vakation with the bike, so i will be sitting on it for hours.

I like power, mostly i love fast acceleration and a good sound. A agressive sound and look, are quite important to me. Top speed doesn't matter to me at all, as long as i can accelerate quickly i will be really happy! I like naked bikes, and supermoto's since their usually full of power, really nimble wich makes it ultimate for in traffic, or every day use. I don't think i will choose a supersport, or one with the looks of it. I am not concerning about money yet, but if there's a good pricetag on a bike, that would be really nice.

I hope that gives quite a picture of what the bike would need and stuff. To the expert's out there, i am not near familliar with numbers on bikes, things like inches, wheel types, brakes, suspension etc etc.

Hope to hear from someone soon, have a nice day!

-Dex

(Bikes that appeal to me quite alot: Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07, Yamaha XT660R/X, Yamaha XJ6, Honda NC700X, Honda CBR650F, Honda CB500F, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Kawasaki ER-6F/N)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Do they have a tiered licensing system in the Netherlands? The type of license you can obtain will help determine which motorcycle to buy.

There are a lot of good motorcycles on your list. They should be able to fit what you are looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Licenses

Yes there indeed is a licensing system. There's three types of licenses. A1, A2 and A. A1 is for motorcycles up to 125cc and 11kw, you have to be 18 to have this. A2 is for motorcycles up to 35kw and you need to be 20 years of age for this one. A is a full motorcycle license, you can have unlimited kw and cc. You need to be 24 for this one. Or 22 if you allready had your A2 license.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?

So is this the end of the conversation? I was hoping to get a little more specific feedback :( Thanks anyways, greetings from Amsterdam!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hey Dex, l just found this thread. I think we could help you a little more if we had more info about you...are you a new rider or an experienced rider? Even if you haven't ridden on the street much, have you ridden dirt bikes? You listed bigger bikes, so that suggests you either have some riding experience, or are old enough to buy what you want.

One thing to consider if you plan to ride long distances, or for several hours a day, is riding position. I have a Suzuki SV650, and l am planning to put handlebar risers on it because it isn't comfortable to ride for more than about an hour. I love everything else about it; it is fantastic in the city, and it does great on the highway as well, and gets 40+ mpg.

Another bike to consider might be a Suzuki Katana (if you are experienced enough to handle it). They are a sport-touring bike with a bit more upright seating position. They are pretty good in the city, but you can also throw a set of saddle bags on them and head out on a trip. My friend has one and says he loves it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty

Thanks alot for the response! And no, i never have (Legally) ridden a motorcycle. I have done several weeks of dirt bike riding on private property. I am a good cyclist, wich i guess could help aswell. I know alot of people like to start off on smaller bike, but i feel pretty confident about buying a mid range bike. And yes, i am old enough to buy any bike i want.

I took a look at the Suzuki, and it looks like a nice bike. Only thing i'm afraid of is that; i would have to buy it second hand as they stopped making them in 2006. Im allways kindof shady about buying second hand bikes.

Thanks alot for you're response, have a nice day!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Dex, I don't know anything about the bikes you said appeal to you, (I prefer cruisers) so I will go with the advise I give to new riders wanting sport bikes.....

as a new rider, look for the best fitting bike to you, can you put your feet down when stopped, is the riding position comfortable.....and as for engine sizes, a twin cylinder engine will be more suited to a new rider, the inline 4's are very touchy in the controls and you can get in a lot of trouble very quickly whereas with a twin, the power is more to the low end torque rather than the high end speed of the I4's...I did notice that you put the Ninja 650 up there...that is a good beginners sport bike I've heard....but I really don't know much about the others...

as for used....if there is a local dealership around that sells used that is a good place to start looking....if not, you are going to have to trust the seller, maybe have them meet you at a mechanic and have a quick inspection done......as long as the maintenance has been done on time and the rider didn't beat on the bike, you should be able to find a used bike in good shape....good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ty

Thanks alot, really helped! I test drove quite alot of the bikes on my list, and on allmost every one i can put my feet down. There was one where i was having a little trouble, but i can't remember which one it was. The Ninja 650 indeed is a good learner bike, as i heard from a lot of friends. Another thing, something with Dutch people (I don't know what); but their absolutely obsessed with the BMW Adventure bikes.. Can't take a ride here or where-ever without seeing those 2:1 to other motorcycles. Any idea why? Prolly not.. I might ask around abit, cause it is really annoying me ^^ Thanks alot for the feedback!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The BMW Adventure bikes are very popular. They are a bit on the expensive side, but can do just about anything from off road to highway riding. I think it's the versatility that makes them popular. They usually only fit taller riders, however.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I agree, I haven't been outside of the US since I was young, and then it was only to Mexico...so I have no idea what goes through the minds of the Dutch lol....

but it seams to me from reading several forums, BMW's are very popular in that region....like Dodsfall said, they are good for just about everything on and off road

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bmw

I have ridden a friend's BMW just now, and i must say they're are pretty nice. Not going to go for a BMW though, too expensive for me. If i would ever buy a BMW, it would probably be the 1000r.

Not sure if it adds anything, but i have liked the Husq Nuda 900r alot also. For a long time acually, forgot to add it to my list. I think im scrapping the supersport (Style) bikes, like the Honda and the Ninja, even though the Ninja is a great learner bike. Im really leaning towards an upright seeting position, and straight handlebars since im used to that on a bicicle. Maybe after having the experience of the seating and power of a upright motorbike, i might try a leaderbike with bent handle bars. But for now, no. I am going to test a friends's sv650 tomorrow, he seems to be really happy with it. Another thing also, im not sure how this works, either in the USA or in Europe; but im trying to not get a bike that is going to cost me alot of insurance money.

And about cruisers, i really like them. Although, as im quite young, playfull and have quite some hooligan blood, i think i want to get a street/sport bike first. I most likely will buy a BMW/Yamaha tourer bike, or a Harley or something when im older.

(And, i also quite like supermoto's. That's part of why the Nuda is on my list. But can anyone tell my why the DRZ400 is so expensive? For a 400cc at least..)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts