Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about getting a bike for about a year now and for the last nine months I've been on deployment. Now I am ready to buy a bike I hear that I should get a 250 and I've been looking at a couple 2011 CBR 250s. I like the look and everything however I'd really like to be able to leave a mustang in the dust because there are a lot of chargers and mustangs where I am at. Input would be fantastic.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A cbr 250 is very fun to ride. They are great for commuting. They get great gas mileage. They can handle curves and twisties better than just about any car on the planet.

I don't think they are particularly suited for drag racing, however. It would be a great idea (and makes a lot of sense) to learn to ride proficiently before racing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well traffic out here is pretty terrible and the drivers are not the greatest so would there be enough power to pull away from someone not paying attention or just being a jerk?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
That would depend on what speed you were traveling. At city street speeds, sure. You aren't going to pull away from a car doing 80-90 mph on a 250.

When on a motorcycle, there is also the option of simply slowing down and getting behind a dangerous driver. This is often the best choice for a rider, since having potential trouble in front of the motorcycle not posing a risk is a lot better than having it behind you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
random off the wall question but how many times have you been sitting at a stop light in a bad neighborhood and think someone might tear you off your bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the discussion came up between a couple of friends and I, didn't figure it happens however I just thought I'd ask someone who's been riding for awhile.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Stay out of bad neighborhoods :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Someone could throw a brick through your car window and jack that as well.

I think paying attention to your surroundings is probably the best defense. (Unless you happen to buy an armored car or a tank)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate your input guys also my friend is pretty much telling me he won't be seen with me if i get a 250 but i'm pretty sure i'll die on a 600

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
500 and 650 cc Twins are a good bet then. Enough power to pull away from traffic but not enough to really get you killed.
That's it. There are several other choices available. I would recommend a twin cylinder that is fairly light weight.

I would question how much of a friend someone is that is more concerned with what you ride than your safety on the road while you are learning.

·
14,359 Posts
he is not really your friend, and if you ever ride with him, he will try to get you to do something stupid

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
That would depend on what speed you were traveling. At city street speeds, sure. You aren't going to pull away from a car doing 80-90 mph on a 250.

When on a motorcycle, there is also the option of simply slowing down and getting behind a dangerous driver. This is often the best choice for a rider, since having potential trouble in front of the motorcycle not posing a risk is a lot better than having it behind you.
Yeah. If you're already going 90mph, even on a liter bike, braking is probably going to get you out of a jam faster and safer than the throttle.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
No. Not for a first bike. Those are horrible choices for an informed buyer. Get a 2 cylinder bike, 650cc or smaller.....250r being the ideal.

About your desire to "leave mustangs in the dust"; you have seen mustangs in organized racing yes? In places like the SCCA and other road racing organizations? You will also see motorcycles racing in AMA, WSBK, Motogp?

What don't you see? Sanctioned races on the same course of bikes against cars. Why? They passed high school physics. In a collision, cars ALWAYS win against bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
idk then i'm pretty torn now to be honest, I'll probably end up getting the 250 or a gs500 or something but the thing about leaving a mustang in the dust is that everybody has them and it's rather irritating to have them taunting you

·
14,359 Posts
if you are going to let others get under your skin, you might want to re-think getting a bike.

Just went back and looked at your first post to confirm that you are in the military. They take biking very seriously. Additional classes you have to go to before you can ride on base, and pull your priviledges very quickly. I have a neighbor who went down in the rain when he got cut off. He had to go through the base safety course again before he could ride on base.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the course a few months before deployment so i've pretty much got everything ready with the exception of getting my license and there's no way i'm not getting a motorcycle but the whole 250 thing does hurt my pride a little bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would start with a 500 or 600 Fi type bike you sit up straighter . You have excellent Brakes and enough power to stay out of anyone's way. In a cager.. I have always said the sport bike are the best learner bikes because they handle brake and are light weight..then after 6mo. maybe you can move up to a 600RR or 1000. I like the liter bikes because the 600"s scream down the highway at 60mph and 6000 rpm.. it's all how you want to ride..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts