Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post after reading around on the forums for a while. I am 21 and I have never rode a bike. I know....where have I been! I finally have enough money of my own to buy a starter bike. Right now I have 3 choices that are in the area. Earlier today I looked at a 2006 Buell Blast that has 2900 miles on it and is goin for about $2550. In a classified ad there is 2007 Ninja 250 with 3000 miles for $2700. And on craigslist i found a 2002 Suzuki GSX / Katana with 6600 miles for $2980. The Katana also comes with a helmet and a jacket and yoshimura exhaust.

My question is which one does everybody recommend?
Is the 750 Katana too big for me? btw...I am 5'10" and 165 lbs.
Again i am just looking for a starter bike and something to get me basically around town. I don't plan on much interstate/highway driving...yet.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I'd go for the Blast or the Ninja. The Katana 600 is just barely considered an acceptable starter bike for some people. The 750 version is probably too much at 93 HP. Staying under 50 HP for your first bike is a good idea.

A 2007 Ninja for $2700 seems like a reasonable deal to me, but you should be able to knock a few hundred off of it since its coming up on winter (the NADA price is $1800-2300). That's certainly the one I'd choose. The Blast is probably a bit overpriced... they generally don't have as good a resale value as a Ninja would.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i talked to the owner of the blast and he said that he would probably go down to 2500. it was initially listed at 3000 and i talked them down to 2550. The bike lists for about 2600 average on NADA guides. so its about a fair price. my biker friends tell me that the ninja 250 is too small. i dunno...but im gettin pretty anxious.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
The Ninja 250 is as powerful, and probably more powerful, than the Blast. The Blast is also smaller than the Ninja 250, from what I recall. If it were me, I'd get the Blast simply for ease of maintenance (hydraulic valves, belt drive, single cylinder, etc). You really can't go wrong with either bike, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree about the resale value of the ninja compared to the blast. I haven't contacted the seller of the ninja yet. I have just seen the picture of it in the classified ad so who knows it might have sold already. It is also about 250 miles away or so and i don't have a pickup to get it. The good thing about the blast is that the owners frequently come to my city and said they would be happy to bring it to me. I think i might buy the Blast. I mean it is just a learning bike. Ill wait and learn and make some more money before I fork out the big bucks for my dream bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts