Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure what's going on but a ton of the ads on this site are filled with weird Chinese writing or something instead of image ads. So for example the one at the top right of the page just above the "Welcome, DanR" it's just a box of text like this:

"ℼ潤瑣灹⁥瑨汭㰾瑨汭㰾敨摡㰾楬歮栠敲㵦栢瑴㩰⼯潦瑮⹳潧杯敬灡獩挮浯振獳昿浡汩㵹潒潢潴㌺〰愦灭氻湡㵧湥•敲㵬猢祴敬"

Most of the other ads do this as well although they do show some image ads from time to time.

So just a heads up!

Dan

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is in IE 11. Don't get those ads in Chrome. What's weird is that it's not an image... it's a MASSIVE wall of text that I can scroll through by clicking and dragging my mouse downwards on the ad spot. It's hundreds of lines.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way I see this in IE on my PC at home and my work computer at the office. It doesn't bother me at all, but it looks like some crazy hacking code lol!

Dan

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ad blockers work really well. Keeps those annoying cookies out of your cupboard too...
Not to go on a rant, but I have certain feelings about ad blocking. I've been a webmaster, running several large FREE sites for 18 years and I was able to run those sites with no charge to the users by advertising. Advertising is what keeps the internet free and the more users ad block, the more sites will become paid subscription based or have other means of drawing revenue directly from the users. If we want people to keep running sites for free, you shouldn't block their ads.

Just my feelings on the subject :smiley_mornincoffee

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
It is a double edged sword. For sites that just have ads I turn adblocker off. For sites that allow ads that near commercials then adblocker is on full force and I never look to see if they stopped it. So how they run their site depends on whether I see their ads.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a double edged sword. For sites that just have ads I turn adblocker off. For sites that allow ads that near commercials then adblocker is on full force and I never look to see if they stopped it. So how they run their site depends on whether I see their ads.
The problem is that 99.9% of ad block users don't do that... most don't even know it's on or have forgotten about it. It's on by default once installed and activated, so even if you visit a site once that helped you with something and you left, you've already cost them money.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Not to go on a rant, but I have certain feelings about ad blocking. I've been a webmaster, running several large FREE sites for 18 years and I was able to run those sites with no charge to the users by advertising. Advertising is what keeps the internet free and the more users ad block, the more sites will become paid subscription based or have other means of drawing revenue directly from the users. If we want people to keep running sites for free, you shouldn't block their ads.

Just my feelings on the subject :smiley_mornincoffee
I haven't had that problem, since there are multitudes of guests on our sites, we still get enough ad money to keep our sites running and free to the members. Of course, I'm not having forums to get rich from or even supplement my income either. We do sell ad banners to vendors, but they have to be in relation to the site, and the cost is minimal.

C

·
0 Posts
Websites do not make much money on ads. Of course, the more websites someone has the more you make. The trick is (as you said already) keeping the cost of operating them as low as possible.

Personally, I have no problems with websites that use ads. The problem I have is when website owners add popups and text ads that create popups. It is the intrusive ads that makes me use programs like ad block. Because this website has some intrusive ads (especially if you're not logged in) I run ad block programs.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Websites do not make much money on ads. Of course, the more websites someone has the more you make. The trick is (as you said already) keeping the cost of operating them as low as possible.

Personally, I have no problems with websites that use ads. The problem I have is when website owners add popups and text ads that create popups. It is the intrusive ads that makes me use programs like ad block. Because this website has some intrusive ads (especially if you're not logged in) I run ad block programs.
It really depends on the site... I ran a couple of good websites that I built from the ground up and made a comfortable living off the ad revenue for 5 years before I got bored, sold the company and moved on to other projects. A small niche site that runs targeted ads can generate decent ad revenue if done correctly. I had a small niche fan collectible site that was very specific to a certain genre and with 1500 - 2000 visitors a day did 3k in revenue a month with $20 in costs per month and about 10 hours of work a week.

And yes, unfortunately for every 100 sites that advertise respectfully, you get that 1 guy that destroys your viewing experience and pushed you to ad block and ruin it for the rest. Believe me, I get why folks ad block, but as a webmaster since the mid 90s, I sympathize with site owners and choose to not ad block and simply avoid sites that ad spam. So far on this site I only get the usual banner ads, nothing crazy and they don't bother me. I even clicked on one advertising motorcycle events :)

C

·
0 Posts
That is a nice chuck of change. That is better then what I used to rake in. I used to average maybe $1,000 a month with an operating cost of $30.00 not including domains. Like you I got tired and bored with it and sold a few of them and closed the rest.

If you raked in that much, I salute you nice job!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I like that this site will take responsibility if an ad gets too intrusive and will do something about it....I'm always logged in when I visit so I don't see much other than the banner ad at the top and bottom of the pages now....there have been times when something pops up, but once it was brought to the attention of the the admin, it was taken care of....

I don't use ad blocker, and I have clicked on some of the ads before.....but I have to agree that on the sites that have stuff pop up and take over the screen can be very annoying and will usually stop me from returning to that site....

·
Registered
26 Posts
web site + pop up in your face adds = me going someplace else.

i have no interest in adds (no mater the media) as they are people trying to sell you something you do not need, want, can afford.
here now is a honda banner add for $200.usd bonus bucks (select models only). a crf/f family.

sure i own a honda. a 78 xl 350. buy a new one...no way. no cash, no need for a third bike...at least today :biggrin:

now a lowered price before taxes might catch my eye.

not a computer geek. i have trouble just not shooting this one.

·
Administrator
471 Posts
web site + pop up in your face adds = me going someplace else.

i have no interest in adds (no mater the media) as they are people trying to sell you something you do not need, want, can afford.
here now is a honda banner add for $200.usd bonus bucks (select models only). a crf/f family.

sure i own a honda. a 78 xl 350. buy a new one...no way. no cash, no need for a third bike...at least today :biggrin:

now a lowered price before taxes might catch my eye.

not a computer geek. i have trouble just not shooting this one.
The banner ads keep the site free, if you're seeing pop ups and you're logged in you may want to look into adware/malware on your machine.

The asian characters banners are broken ads we're trying to track if you can get the url link from them we can try to block them

KN Community Support

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have seen them as well, especially when l am up late at night. I never thought much of it. I use IE.

A few weeks ago, though, we had a member who was some sort of spammer and did not speak good English. I reported him and it was quickly confirmed that he had an alterior agenda, and the administrator handled the problem immediately.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have no doubt that some sites are served by ads. I use Firefox and leave the ad blocker turned on at all times. It lets me actually enjoy being on the sites.Without the ad blocker I would simply stay away. How would that help the person who owns the site? Lower traffic but all of it accepting ads might possibly work but I doubt it. Traffic is the key to income.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts