Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before some of you lefties start talkin' about flat earth and Fox news, I got this from-----OMG---The BBC:)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48253002

If all of us 'Red blooded' American's would stop buying Walmart Chinese junk and BUY American, we would have even more good paying MFG jobs, putting thousands to work:wink2:

No more Chinese scooters!!!!!:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I just bought a made in China diesel heater. Wish you had posted this sooner.

The original turbine type diesel heaters for boats, big rigs and so forth, are made by Eberspaecher, Espar and Webasto. None from the US. They are all German and expensive. A combustion chamber for mine was $500. Later the whole unit needed replacing. $1,300.00. Thermostat and plumbing from the old unit was retained.

Fast forward. The commies in Russia copied the German models. Now $900.00 complete.

Fast forward again. The Chinese commies copied them. $225.00 plus $5.50 shipping. I would not use a commie one on my boat, but one is running right now and keeping my tootsies warm.

China now has $225.00 to use to buy something in Canada, or elsewhere. Maybe help drive up the price of real estate in your neighborhood, as it has done in Vancouver BC, and Auckland NZ. They buy a lot of US coal, shipped from BC. I can hear the trains go by when I am on the mainland.
Trade is an interesting subject. I generally avoid Chinese junk when I can. I check all clothing before buying.

UK

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guess we'll be heading into some rough waters for a little bit. On a personal note this isn't good for me, being on a fixed income. HOWEVER....I'm all for it! I can remember when American products stood for quality. Yes, there were some cheap products out there, but they didn't last long. We could buy products knowing that we would get fair value for our money spent. And then it all changed.

American companies went overseas because of cheap labor, but along with that came cheap products. Then came the reverse engineered products from China that are a complete ripoff. And the quality continued to fall. Young adults these days are trapped in a disposable society. If it breaks, buy a new one. I remember when if something broke, you could repair it.

The bottom line is this. Trump is doing the right thing, and China will get with the program. They have to. America doesn't need their TV's or cell phones. But China needs our agriculture products.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,145 Posts
It's hard to stop the momentum China has gained over the past couple decades. They dominated cheap shipping, cheap labour, cheap reverse engineering, then used eCommerce and the American consumer to rake in the cash. With all that cash, they now have their own homegrown goods that lead the pack in some industries. You know how about every flagship phone nowadays has basically no bezels? You can thank Xiaomi for that.

Now that China actually has a "middle class" and money to spend, they've become a cash cow for western companies in search for even more profit. Performance in China can now make or break a western company. So it's no wonder you see household names in bed with the Chinese.

In a sort of interesting development, Chinese people are now getting more skilled and thus demanding higher wages for those skills. In extremely competitive industries like tech, some Chinese companies are actually outsourcing their labour to Africa because the mainland workers want more money than the companies are willing to pay. This means that Africa is essentially China's China.

I think if you want to hurt China the most, make it so expensive to ship goods that Chinese products are no cheaper than their counterparts from other countries.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's hard to stop the momentum China has gained over the past couple decades. They dominated cheap shipping, cheap labour, cheap reverse engineering, then used eCommerce and the American consumer to rake in the cash. With all that cash, they now have their own homegrown goods that lead the pack in some industries. You know how about every flagship phone nowadays has basically no bezels? You can thank Xiaomi for that.

Now that China actually has a "middle class" and money to spend, they've become a cash cow for western companies in search for even more profit. Performance in China can now make or break a western company. So it's no wonder you see household names in bed with the Chinese.

In a sort of interesting development, Chinese people are now getting more skilled and thus demanding higher wages for those skills. In extremely competitive industries like tech, some Chinese companies are actually outsourcing their labour to Africa because the mainland workers want more money than the companies are willing to pay. This means that Africa is essentially China's China.

I think if you want to hurt China the most, make it so expensive to ship goods that Chinese products are no cheaper than their counterparts from other countries.
Valid points, Miss Mercedes. Not quite sure what you mean about 'no bezels' on phones though. I haven't used a cell phone for so long, I don't even know what a new phone looks like.

Interesting statement about China's middle class. They want our products and now can't get them. As far as western companies go, maybe they'll wake up and turn back to making products for the US that are of good quality.

China outsourcing their labor? That's funny in a strange way. Skilled labor wants more money. Business wants to cut costs, so they outsource. Looks they are running into the same problems we have.

I don't think the Farmers in this country are going to hurt as much as the media is trying to make us believe. It's going to hurt, and hurt all of us, yes. But it's only temporary. Remember, we are the breadbasket of the world.

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
Remember why there were slaves? Just what is cheap labor if not paid slaves. But we are all slaves unless you are at the very top then you are a paid slave. But no one wants to see it that way. So we have classes with all of them looking for the most for the least. It's all hidden behind politics. So it's the lefts fault or the rights now. The whole house of cards will come tumbling down once the world realizes there is no free lunch. But we are still playing with the smoke and mirrors right now. It can't last. Just my opinion. But I'm sure everyone, or most, thinks I'm way off.

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
Miss Mercedes makes the point of hurting China by making their exports to the U.S. more expensive, making them no cheaper than the imports from other countries. Isn't that what Trump is trying to do? For years China has had a much higher rate of import taxes on American goods than we have on their goods. Why not make it more fair for us.

Many previous presidents never wanted to upset the apple cart because they believed, stupidly, that we deserved to pay a higher cost because we were the only super power - so consequently we should be willing to have a half trillion dollar deficit to the Chinese. Hopefully Trump will stop that.

China's middle class makes approximately 7 to 8? thousand dollars a year. The worker is demanding more money hence trying to have other countries step in and help with manufacturing. I think one of the problems the Chinese face with Africa is the chance of war always being a risk. I'm sure that is something they consider as well as the cheaper labor.

Timken, once the gold standard of bearings, has switched to China for their products. I have been told by an importer that if China is given the specifications that a company needs for their product, that China is capable of building almost anything to the desired standard. But too many American companies see the higher profit margin if they go cheap, and that is why so may products are substandard. I have no way of knowing if that is true but it sounds plausible.

Cowboy is right. This house of cards will collapse when it becomes impossible to sustain the give away programs and the free lunch everyone seems to be expecting. It can't last and it will not.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I need their Chinese food is all:)

Thai food is even better:)

Sam:grin:
The international food tasting pros, have said that the best Chinese food is in --------- Richmond BC.
Which is not far from Shirley's place. We also have the benefit of knowing a few Chinese speaking ladies, that we dine with. What put these local restaurants over the top, was the availability of fresh vegetables.

We were in a Thai food place recently. Victoria and Vancouver and surrounding area, also has Vietnamese, and East Indian restaurants.

UK

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,145 Posts
Miss Mercedes makes the point of hurting China by making their exports to the U.S. more expensive, making them no cheaper than the imports from other countries. Isn't that what Trump is trying to do? For years China has had a much higher rate of import taxes on American goods than we have on their goods. Why not make it more fair for us.
One factor working in China's favour is the fact that the Universal Postal Union didn't predict China's commerce explosion. Thus, the UPU considered them a third world country with the terminal dues associated with such countries.

This means that it costs the USPS far more money to deliver a package arriving from China than China Post pays for the service. Unfortunately, Trump has little power to change that situation and the UPU moves at a pathetic pace. Add the fact that shipments under $800 can be made exempt from import dues and the odds are stacked.

The impact of the tariffs may be up to a 25% tax on various items made in China. It seems this serves a dual purpose. One purpose is to get China to back down while the other is to encourage corporate giants like Apple and General Motors to bring production home. GM builds the Buick Envision in China then ships them to America. I don't even want to imagine the panic they're probably in right now.

The USPS will still bleed money on shipments and the extremely cheap stuff on eBay will only be incrementally more expensive, but still cheap. What would really be an interesting punch to China's gut would be tariffs plus a decreased de minimis value, plus increased terminal dues.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Cost to ship a diesel heater from China to my place $5.50. Box about 18 inches square.
Cost to ship 3 sets of brake pads from US to my place, $55.00. But they will not ship.
If the brake pad order exceeds about $50, free shipping in US. So I get them shipped to Blaine WA, which is just down the road from Shirley's place.

UK

·
Registered
853 Posts
Posted this in the Chain Brush thread but figured it is probably more appropriate here -

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Plastic ammo cases available at Cabela, made in US. About one tenth the cost of saddle bags / boxes for a bike.
I just gave away the two Krauser bags to a BMW owner, and bolted on two ammo cases. UK

·
Registered
102 Posts
The bottom line is this. Trump is doing the right thing, and China will get with the program. They have to. America doesn't need their TV's or cell phones. But China needs our agriculture products.
[/QUOTE]
Last I heard the USA doesn't make any TVs. Even the iPhone has Chinese parts and assembled in Mexico. Yeah, global trade is complex.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts