Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute on my cycle as fast as it will go taking turns to the point of dragging my toe. I have even taken a turn at the point of it started breaking traction so I had to right it up some. That being said my coworker one day comically pointed out that I have chicken strips (extra wear in center of tire and much less near edge). I do hit a few sharp S turns but obviously the majority of any road riding in south NJ is fairly straight.

Chicken Strips an inevitability of regular street use?

Road 5 tire compound wear pattern?

I normally do 60-70mph into 90 degree turns...

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
We always called the gap between the seam at the side wall and the wear line 'chicken strips'. I wonder where your friend got his definition?

Reactions: RonK

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Chicken Strips an inevitability of regular street use?

Road 5 tire compound wear pattern?

I normally do 60-70mph into 90 degree turns...
Yes, unless you are riding predominantly on the track, you will wear out the center quicker than the sides. I ride fairly aggressively and spend a third to a half of my mileage in the twisties... still have chicken strips. Anyone who rides public roads and doesn't have them is likely riding recklessly.

I'm all for pushing the limits but not at the possible expense of someone else's safety...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
Yes, unless you are riding predominantly on the track, you will wear out the center quicker than the sides. I ride fairly aggressively and spend a third to a half of my mileage in the twisties... still have chicken strips. Anyone who rides public roads and doesn't have them is likely riding recklessly.

I'm all for pushing the limits but not at the possible expense of someone else's safety...
Riding fast is not the same as riding recklessly.

No one is in dander if no one is around during non reckless knee dragging.

Even the non reckless knee dragging rider is not in danger if he knows what he's doing.

The time and place is when no one is nearby.

Just sayin....

:wink:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
No one is in dander if no one is around during non reckless knee dragging.

Even the non reckless knee dragging rider is not in danger if he knows what he's doing.

The time and place is when no one is nearby.

Just sayin....

:wink:
Fair enough! I just know that I, and many others, have gotten fixated on the notion that "you're not really riding if you have strips..." and it led me, and many others, to engage "risky behavior". Just don't want to promote that belief!

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
Chicken strips are good, the more you hang-off the bike the more the bike will stay verticle at the same speed and this will give you larger chicken strips.

So why is this good? The more verticle the bike stays the better the suspension works and in turn the better your tire stay in contact with the road and the better the traction.

Now, most of my bikes have no chicken strips because I take them to the track and use that body position to increase my speed instead of decreasing lean angle. But on the street, I never use all of my tires...

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my buddy is just jealous of my newer cycle and picking on me. i have many videos of my riding. I dont try to ride above my ability. i am admittedly very bad at cornering on my cbr1000rr. i am exceptionally skilled at my cbr500r however. my coworkers are above average mean to each other in a friendly way.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Chicken strips are good, the more you hang-off the bike the more the bike will stay verticle at the same speed and this will give you larger chicken strips.

So why is this good? The more verticle the bike stays the better the suspension works and in turn the better your tire stay in contact with the road and the better the traction.

Now, most of my bikes have no chicken strips because I take them to the track and use that body position to increase my speed instead of decreasing lean angle. But on the street, I never use all of my tires...
On a track is one thing, where unexpected debris isn't normally encountered. But on the street, riding with a cushion of being able to use more of your skills and maneuvering room is something you always want to have handy. There is no race on the street or at least there shouldn't be.

my buddy is just jealous of my newer cycle and picking on me. i have many videos of my riding. I dont try to ride above my ability. i am admittedly very bad at cornering on my cbr1000rr. i am exceptionally skilled at my cbr500r however. my coworkers are above average mean to each other in a friendly way.
As long as no one takes it serious, a good razzing now and then can be fun. Well, if you aren't on the receiving side.:grin: :thumbsup:

Reactions: RonK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Just as an aside, hog's tires on his Indian have no chicken strips. It has bacon strips.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The original poster wrote, "I normally do 60-70 into 90 degree turns...". If this is true, and he is riding like this in everyday commutes on public roads, there is no way that at times he is not hazarding himself and others.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I don't care who you are or what you ride, unless you're on a road course track, you will always wear the center much, much faster than the sides. It's only common sense when you think about it. As for the friends and such that comment on it, ask to see their street ridden bike's tires. ;)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Yeah Hog, I have a friend who ends up shooting them in his front yard.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts