Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
On the track bikes with bias tyres, we used a file to scuff new tyres. After putting new bits in the engine all we could do was fire them up for a couple of minutes to be sure they ran, then take them to the track. No street riding to scuff or check things. One time I wheeled a bike off the truck, applied the front brake, and all the fluid puked out. We had just put in new O rings. I used a loaner for the day. UK.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My kid works at McDonald's. He says it's real.:)
Thank You for the inside scoop Lori, I now trust they are real, despite they taste like cardboard to me, OH ****, maybe I have the Covid!!!!

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
206 Posts
Thank You for the inside scoop Lori, I now trust they are real, despite they taste like cardboard to me, OH ****, maybe I have the Covid!!!!
Tell em u want a bar b que sauce. Then put it on the samwich. Cardboard to killer. Stamp it.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay, so I started this thread. Maybe I need to say we had a chicken burger at the golf club last nite. Darts night. 9 on our board. 3 double 3, 1 double 4 or 5 double 2. Hit the 5 first dart, 3/8 wide of the double 2 on the second dart. Third dart went over the top of the second dart and settled high in the double 2. Thank you, take a bow, where's my beer.
Chicken burger and the beer was good. UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
And what about the chicken strip on these???

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The bikes on ice get more tippy than the speedway bikes. Notice the lack of counter steering with these bikes, compared to speedway bikes. They must us special traction ice. UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Spikes replace chickens strips here.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here's a question based on this thread....is it possible for a rider to be faster than another rider but to have wider "chicken strips?" why or why not?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I answered that above. UK
You did. I missed that. I guess my comment on that is that yes, in road racing the skill set is similar and most racers will run their tires right to the edge and so will not have any "chicken strips." However, on the road and with street riding (where people seemed concerned about the presence of chicken strips) it is kind of misleading. What I mean by that is that the LACK of chicken strips means that the rider has leaned the bike over to nearly max lean. While that may be necessary in road racing to go as fast as possible, I wouldn't consider it a bragable accomplishment to have leaned the bike to the max because that means there is little margin left for error. You can have extremely accomplished (and fast) street riders that still have "chicken strips" and that to me means that they have managed to keep some available lean angle and therefore available traction, just in case.

When I first started riding it was a goal to lean the bike over as far as possible, I even remember the first time I scraped my footpeg on my 1989 CBR 600 and thought I was hot ****. Now I realize that I was just naive and didn't understand that scraping pegs and eliminating "chicken strips" meant that I was literally riding on the edge of traction. Nowadays I'd much rather be a smooth fast rider that has leftover room on the tires to lean more if need be.

You said that if a rider has better braking and acceleration then they may be able to go faster without leaning as far. Would that be the only reason or does body position and steering affect how much lean angle you use as well?

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
For the moment I will pass over the last paragraph. Regular readers will know that I often talk about a margin of safety for street riding. My chicken strips are often 3/4 inch wide. I am often slower on the street than some other riders, faster than most, but slower than some. The track is a different story. I have had zero crashes on the public highways. I got my licence in 1961. My expert CMA licence in the early seventies. I was number 14 in Canada. A bit lower in WA. UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Some folks may have trouble with right or left turns as well which might make counter steering even more difficult. Hope this doesn't add more confusion to an already confusing subject for some but I found this article interesting.
You would think since my 70mph on street was on a sharp S-turn to the right that I would have a problem with right turns but rights I actually do better the lefts. I have to force myself to do them equally as good as rights. Counter-steering helps.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Would that be the only reason or does body position and steering affect how much lean angle you use as well?
Body position/weight shifting (assuming it is being done properly for maximum effect) can reduce the lean for any given radius turn and speed combination and therefore increase the chicken strip. There are so many variables when determining who would be faster, lean angle is one of them and a chicken strip may/can be another. I don't speak for UK, but in my replies to his OP, a large chicken strip is just one indicator of a bragging rider that would lead to suspicion that they might be telling tales and therefore the BS meter reaches the high zone!

On the other hand if I met a rider who bragged they never got a ticket, they had never been in a crash, they don't like riding on the edge, they have been riding for 40 years, and they have a larger chicken strip, I would take that as an indicator they were be straight up. And there would be nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I don't think the strip means squat on the street. Track, yes. I have a land yacht and I have nothing showing, No strip what so ever. The little nubs from the process of making the tire are all gone. But, and here's the key to that, I ride on a lot of gravel roads. So now what do you think about chicken strips? It means nothing except on the track. There you can see just how close the edge of safety you are. You got ½ inch then you can push harder. But to me that's the only place it means anything. Street riding is just for fun and nothing else. Oh, commuting as well. And picking up some groceries. Nothing to get excited about when it comes to that silly strip. JMHO :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Spikes replace chickens strips

Spikey Chicken. It's becoming very popular .

·
Registered
354 Posts
For the moment I will pass over the last paragraph. Regular readers will know that I often talk about a margin of safety for street riding. My chicken strips are often 3/4 inch wide. I am often slower on the street than some other riders, faster than most, but slower than some. The track is a different story. I have had zero crashes on the public highways. I got my licence in 1961. My expert CMA licence in the early seventies. I was number 14 in Canada. A bit lower in WA. UK
Ok, I'm not sure what this info has to do with what we were talking about but, cool.

I am however genuinely curious to understand what you meant when you said, "if a rider has better braking and acceleration then they may be able to go faster without leaning as far."

So I'll wait to hear your answer and was wondering if that would be the only reason or does body position and steering affect how much lean angle you use as well? :)

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts