Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Are they made out of real chicken? Just asking because a few years back when I tried them they tasted something like I would imagine cardboard to taste!
Exactly. That's why I have DQ's Beef Strip – Combo.
Strangely I cannot find a online DQ menu that has them. But we sure have them in this part of Texas. I can't stand chicken unless unborn. Chicken strips on tires, big deal.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
737 Posts
I haven't gotten my Streetfighter V4 to the track yet to get it as far over at a high enough speed to take the last bit of chicken strip off the tire. The problem is the immense SIZE of that thing. At 200 mm, it's hard to get far enough over on the street with proper body position to get to the last lean indicators. I'd roast those things off in a day on my SS with a 180, but this thing puts a lot of sticky stuff under you.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My Triumph has a 170 and that is wide enough. The Suzuki is about the same, might be wider. I rarely go to the outer limits when riding on the street. Most of the time it does not leave enough margin for caution. 1/2 or 5/8 of chicken strip for keen street riding should be fine. If there is a roundabout in a quiet area, you can go round and round. This will eventually get to the edges. UK

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
91 Posts
........ If there is a roundabout in a quiet area, you can go round and round. This will eventually get to the edges. UK
Yeah, but then you have to make a few circuits going the wrong way to get the other side of the tire..... could be a problem if a Buick wants to use the roundabout at the same time.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
If there is a roundabout in a quiet area, you can go round and round. This will eventually get to the edges. UK
It's much easier to find an empty parking lot and start in a big circle and just get smaller and smaller if you think the chick stripe is a badge of courage.Then go the other way. Doing so you'll probably find you turn easier one direction than the other anyway. Most do. I know I lean more turning right than left. But there's your way to scrub the tires if you must.

·
Registered
923 Posts
For me, it's a bit of OCD re: using the whole width of the tire, as well as wanting to put the whole tread to good use! I paid for all that rubber and I want to use all of it! 😆

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just had my new tires installed. I'm going to try and "scuff" them up this weekend. The factory size on my bike is a 240. That size was not available (sold out everywhere) with the brand of tire I wanted. I had to go with a 250. I replaced the front one at the same time as it was starting to cup. So far, just big chicken strips!

·
Registered
923 Posts
250?! What are you riding?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
After reading this I went out and looked at my T Bird. The previous owner had worn a section about 2" wide down the middle of the rear tire. I have put 2k miles on it and my wear spots are much wider, with about 1" strips on each edge. I'm good with that, considering the bigger bike is new to me. I am getting better and better with it every time I ride.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Just remember it's not a race Scott. We don't need you have yet another incident. Especially considering you are hauling a passenger now. Just enjoy the scenery. The heck with chicken crap.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just remember it's not a race Scott. We don't need you have yet another incident. Especially considering you are hauling a passenger now. Just enjoy the scenery. The heck with chicken crap.
Nope, not forgetting for sure. I have never been in less of a hurry actually. What I am doing is really getting to know my bike and paying attention to how it rides, how it behaves, etc. So far the only difficulty I have had has been going slow. They just don't take off or come to a stop quite as easily as a smaller bike. I had one near tipover taking a hard right turn onto a sandy dirt road last weekend and ALMOST dropped it at about 5mph with Vanessa on the back. She was laughing!!!

I did open it up on a long straightaway through the canyon on the way to my folks' house to see what 100 felt like on it. I don't feel the need to do that routinely.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am the same. I have trouble going slow on the heavy tanks. Also nearly dropped Noddy the Triumph with Shirley on the back. Once moving things are fine. And I have been riding a long time. UK

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Yep. My slow speed riding is most painful on my pride. l am learning little things that help, like putting my foot on the rear brake when coming to a stop, especially when stopping on a hill or a turn.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, but are chicken strips really the measure of what a good rider is or not? Could you not have a rider that is better and faster even without the presence of "to the edge" chicken strips? What do chicken strips truly represent?

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
When the chicken strip is 1 1/2 inches wide, it is a good indication the rider does not lean much in corners. Maybe he likes to keep the bike upright and go slide ways.
At the end of most road racers, the guys at the front of the pack, will have well worn sides of their tyres.
It is possible that a rider may be faster than another rider, if his acceleration and braking are better.
Which is what I implied in my previous messages. This may happen on the public highways, where there are many variables, and as most of my posts suggest, caution and care is important. BUT, if this guy meets another rider, who uses the edge of his tyres, and has good braking and acceleration skills, he will get left behind as all rookies do.

UK

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, but are chicken strips really the measure of what a good rider is or not? Could you not have a rider that is better and faster even without the presence of "to the edge" chicken strips? What do chicken strips truly represent?
I actually lean pretty aggressively - elbow down and knee out - when I'm riding on the street because if I am twisting it around a corner, I want there to be some tire left if I have to make a correction. This is even more the case when the road's wet. A guy could go out and just counterbalance like a madman and wear off the chicken strips, but poor body position combined with an obstacle in the road will leave you with nowhere to go.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I used to be super stupid aggressive on some streets dragging everything I could get down on the pavement! Now at age 74 I neither have the flexibility or desire to need pucks on the knees and elbows (although I sometime drag a toe when I get tired because the flexibility makes it tough to get the inside toe on the pegs as I should). For my current style I run 1/8"-3/8" chicken stripes on any tires I have yet to hit the track with. I like going fast and still go fast, and when getting in tight I will hang off, just not as stupid as 10 or so years ago. My tire is a 50 and the Triple (if not mistaken) has 55 tires. Not that much difference, so I think regardless of hanging off to reduce lean or not, if the riding in the OP was as good as he bragged he would have been using more that 6"-7" of the center of his tire. UK has been around the riding world and circuits as an old salt (I men that as a complement!) and I'm sure he pegged this rider for what he was.

But, for more clarification again, I don't use chicken strips as the soul indicator of a persons riding speed or ability. It is just one of the indicators used for those I haven't ridden with when they are making certain claims that do not seem to fit.

Funny story, at least it was funny to me. About 15 years ago we had a young guy (riding about 6-8 months), if I remember correctly he had a Gixxer 600. I stopped by his house one day to drop of some spools I donated to him. Walked in the garage to find him kneeling down by the rear tire. He was surprised to see me, stood up quickly, and seemed to be hiding something behind his leg. When I asked what he was up to, he stated some maintenance, but then as I walked around I could see he had a wire brush in his hand. After some questioning he finally admitted he was scratching off his chicken strips! That started about an hour discussion first from him as to why he was doing that (a silly reason of course), and me (most of the hour) explaining why it was a bad idea. It ended with me getting him hooked up with a couple track riders to mentor him on a better way to scrub off the chicken strips. I've often repeated this story, but never shared his name with anyone. The embarrassment remains between him and I. Throughout the next year he did get to the track a few time, he did get rid of his chicken strips, and he became a pretty darn good rider. In the following year I met up with him and he had a Gixxer 1000. It had just little chicken strips and I was friendly teasing him and he said that it didn't bother him anymore about the strips, as he was more concerned about safe riding! Imagine that a young guy, polite and respectful, who listened to a few experienced riders and was then passing it on to other young guys. I call that a success.

Anyone else hear of anyone using a wire brush?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anyone else hear of anyone using a wire brush?
Nice story! It's always good to be reminded that youngsters are capable of learning and/or growing into responsible adults!

I watched a video recently where a mechanic scuffed some tires that he was switching between bikes with some sandpaper. The bike he was putting them on had a much higher "lean potential" and he wanted to expose fresher rubber prior to riding, rather than have to worry about whether they would slip on paint, tar, etc. before getting scuffed in.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
603 Posts
I watched a video recently where a mechanic scuffed some tires that he was switching between bikes with some sandpaper.
I think that scrubbing in new tires by todays manufacturers processes is another oil/counter steering ongoing controversy. Old timers always scrub their tires, but others say no need to! And, I have heard a few times about the guy that left the dealer with new tires, dropped the bike leaving the lot and blamed it on new slick tires.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts