Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting in the patio with Shirley and an OK Springs pale ale. In the sun. Nice skinnymini waitress.
Rumble rumble blat blat, and a Triumph speed triple 1050 pulls in to the parking spot nearby.
I chatted with the kid ( about 45 ) and he lists all the mods on his bike. Engine, exhaust and suspension. 120 plus hp at the rear wheel. More than Bluzu I tell him. He went inside for a beer at the bar. I had a good look at his bike. The chicken strip is 1 1/2 inches wide. About the same as the new rear tyre I am braking in on Noddy. Hrumph I tell Shirley. A non cornering go fast type. Hrumph I say. UK

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've never quite figure out those types that don't lean theirs bikes. I understand the trill of straight line drag type speeds, I do it myself. And I understand the Harley types that don't lean much, but haven't rode with many that were afraid to throw sparks once in a while. It's the sport bike type that seem like they are afraid of the bike. Not talking about the beginner riders, they get used to the lean with experience, but I am amazed at those who have been riding for some time, have all kinds of mods to their street bikes trying to turn it into a MotoGP racer, and brag about how they have slayed the canyon, yet when you see them ride it's like they freeze up when it comes time to do one of the most exciting thing on two wheels, lean into the corner. It doesn't bother me, everyone should ride their ride at their pace, just puzzles me that some pick a bike that was born and designed to lean, yet they try to keep it straight up!

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
91 Posts
On my spiffy new Versys, it has one of those inertial sensors that tells you your lean angle..... haven't bothered to check it mid-corner, but it also records your max lean angle. So far, I have 41 degrees right, and 40 degrees left. That's enough to show wear JUST outside the tread, between 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch from the break in the profile. Young guys today will never know the joy (and the terror) of a hard corner on skinny, hard tires.

As to the heavily modded bike with big ol' chicken strips, why doesn't he go the last mile and go to the dark side? Seems to be a natural progression.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
865 Posts
It's easy to brag about no chicken strips on a flatish profile tire🤭

I've been edge to edge on the front tire of my AT, apparently quite a bit, nubbins are all gone. Thought to myself, I really am God's gift to motorcycles 😁

Then I compared the tire profile to that of the front tire on my CBR 1000rr. It's not even close...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm probably the antithesis of E-6 or UK -- I don't mind a 5-10 mile stretch of casual twisties, but I've never had serious track skills or a passion to do much other than watch -- what I like is to jump on the bike and then get off a half a continent away... rest up a bit, and ride back... I do admire those who can wear out the sides of the tread before the center, but... they never went anywhere (or so goes my self-defensive presumption). When my wife and I were dating about 15 years ago (i'm in my mid 70s now), I used to load up the Nomad or the Harley and leave after work on Thursday evening; ride from coastal Virginia to Nodak, rest a bit, have a Saturday night date, "rest" a bit, have brunch and ride back to be back t work Tuesday morning... usually about 3000-3500 miles on the weekend -- just for grins one time I logged the gas-receipts and sent it to the IB folks, so I'm a card carrying member, but it was more just to enjoy the ride...). I enjoy my fat-Ninja and we stray into the triple digits from time to time -- just not in the corners...

·
Registered
603 Posts
You're not 'antithesis' to me @dcstrng. You are saying exactly what type a rider you are and I trust that. Nothing in my book wrong with your style for you. I'm referencing the kind that pretends to be something they are not, when one of their built in maximum lean indicators (chicken strips) says something else about their riding. By far the majority of riders say it like it is, but once in a while I run into someone that acts like a wannabe and the condition of their bikes give them away as a pretender.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, there certainly used to be an overabundance of poseurs... although I think that the economy and other things over the past few years has thinned them out noticeably... I missed my trip to VIR this year for the GP because of the Covid, so by next year I'll really need a "spectator's" fix...

·
7,502 Posts
OR, Rider's in some geographic areas don't have any corners to 'scrub' their tires on! Think Kansas, Florida, major portions of the Calif, Ariz, NM, Texas, Utah and Nevada where the Interstates are a straight as a ruler.

Since when is the measure of a man or rider or driver judged by his cornering prowess and tire wear??

I admit, I do look too and on my own bikes, it's more to check the wear than anything else.

Sam:)

·
7,502 Posts
Amen Brother!!

To each his own! I never did a burn out on my Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, never did wheelies over 50 mph on my Superbikes nor put my life in danger to prove something. I did enjoy riding swiftly on my last Ducati on the very curvy roads of the Arkansas 'mountains' and Missouri Ozarks and approaching top speeds at over 160 mph a few times! My bad.

One of my older customers, 80 or so has a Dodge Hellcat that he enjoys immensely but I have never seen him drive over 40 mph or so.:)

Sam!!

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
91 Posts

One of my older customers, 80 or so has a Dodge Hellcat that he enjoys immensely but I have never seen him drive over 40 mph or so.:)

Sam!!
Yeah, but he sure gets up to 40 in a hurry !!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think most (even casual) riders like to keep improving, or at least finding better was to handle their machine… most of the time I suspect I’m riding at 2-3/10ths even when I’m exceeding the backroad speed-limits; more of a bike capability than a rider capability… I don't seem to exceed that even on roads I sort of know; my arc through a corner is often less than smooth – especially on corners where I can’t see the exit until into it at some degree. I sort of reset my apex once I can see the exit, and that of course makes the route look squarely – sort of a 2/10ths rout and speed interrupted by a momentary 5/10ths with accompanying expletive when I see that I need to adjust or end up somewhere other than where I wanted… My first 20-30 year of riding was on K70 and K81 Dunlops (then Metz 880s for 15 plus years), and I’m amazed how much more sticky modern sport-touring tires are – on the one hand they don’t see as crisp as the harder rubber, but they sure tolerate greater lean angles (thankfully, my bike doesn't have a lean-angle meter, so I can just make it up…) for such a heavy bike – my C14 feels pretty light once above walking speed, but in truth is within about a 100# of my old Nomad, so not light – but the bike and I are just now getting comfortable with each-other after a year and about 5K miles, so maybe I’ll get up to 3.5/10ths sooner or later…:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
My Yammie is throwing sparks way before I get to the edge of my tires ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
My Nomad did too... Harley had somewhat more clearance, but both would drag the boards long before the tires were complaining

·
7,502 Posts
I like McDonalds Chicken strips and honey musturd. :)

Sam

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not expect the measure of a persons riding ability to be expressed by the lack of chicken strips, on bikes that are obviously cruisers. They may have other attributes as riders. Like the distance between beer breaks and pee stops.
But when a guy rides a sport bike, and has made changes to enhance its performance, AND makes claims about the time to get form one place to another ( as the Triumph rider did ) on a twisty road, then I expect to see a bit more tyre wear. He also insulted the HP of my Trophy 900, indicating a lack of understanding of several things.
Now and then I make an exception to my rule of not passing other riders in a corner. I would pass this guy.
I passed a Harley bobber on the outside of a corner last week. Please to not tell anyone. He was going about 30 in a 40 one. I was doing about 50. UK

1 - 20 of 71 Posts