Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in Chicago for a week for work, and for possibly the first time ever I’m really glad I got here on a Boeing 777 and not my bike like the last time I passed through.
It’s going to get a wee bit chilly here, anyone in the area, stay warm and you might want to stay off the bike for a few days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
I hope no one has a problem but those are killer temps. Coldest I was ever in was -21º but zero wind. Add wind and it would have been brutal. Also had 18 inches of snow on the ground at the time. That was in Missouri. I left as soon as I could and never looked back. Do not miss that at all. Stay inside if you can. It's killer on cars too so you don't want to get stranded in one.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
It's 13 in Missouri @ 6:55 AM, with a 7 degree wind chill:surprise:

Tonight it is supposed to get down to 7 degrees actual and much less if the wind kicks up.:plain:

I just open my garage and hit my remote start button on my F150, where the night before the heater controls were set for maximum heat, wait 10 minutes and all is toasty on my short commute to work:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It's worse out in the burbs! Our high temp for tomorrow is -13 and the low -28. Combined with wind chill, we're looking at feeling like it's -50.

I'll be surprised if my car even starts tomorrow. I know my scooter will start but even I won't ride in this!

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
It's worse out in the burbs! Our high temp for tomorrow is -13 and the low -28. Combined with wind chill, we're looking at feeling like it's -50.

I'll be surprised if my car even starts tomorrow. I know my scooter will start but even I won't ride in this!
Aw c'mon. I thought you rode in anything!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Will be in the single digits here tomorrow morning. I am staying in bed.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
High temp today was -5.

Currently -13

Low forecast for tonight is -22 with temps dropping all day tomorrow to -34 with -50 wind chill.

Supposed to be +40 by Saturday. Gotta love winter in Wisconsin:grin:

·
1,251 Posts
Aw c'mon. I thought you rode in anything!
Muahahaha I normally do! And I'm not going to lie, the idea of being able to say I rode in historically low temps sounded awesome. Though, the fact that all my two wheelers are buried under 2 feet of snow and the fact that the plow trucks have just given up on finishing their jobs nixed that idea. That's a recipe for my first real crash! That and I don't think my gear is good for -55 wind chills. :O

·
Registered
781 Posts
Every year we will have 3 or 4 days of temps like that. Then it's back up into the mild 20s' or 30s' during the day and -5 to 0 at night. I can't say it's fun, but here in the Rockies it's expected. As far as the upper mid west, I feel for you guys.

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
Muahahaha I normally do! And I'm not going to lie, the idea of being able to say I rode in historically low temps sounded awesome. Though, the fact that all my two wheelers are buried under 2 feet of snow and the fact that the plow trucks have just given up on finishing their jobs nixed that idea. That's a recipe for my first real crash! That and I don't think my gear is good for -55 wind chills. :O
Sometimes getting the frozen butt award really isn't worth it. I've hit black ice before on an overpass. If I wasn't on the ball and panicked like some might have, it might not have gone so well. As it was I slowly slid from the left track to the right track of the road as I freewheeled across the thing, just to get a little jolt on the other side as the wheels made contact with clear road again. The jolt woke my wife up. She immediately ask, "WHAT HAPPENED?". I just said, "I'll tell you when we get to work". No it really isn't worth the risk. I say that now like I might be able to stop someone in the future, knowing full well people do what they want anyway. I feel our guardian angels were right there with us. No way I could actually doing anything to stop what might have happened.:angel:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
^^^now that is funny^^^ Wonder if those tires are studded?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Wow, people on my favorite motorcycle forum are sure gonna be impressed when they see how dedicated and tough I am to ride to work in this weather:grin: And I saved $5 in gas today by not taking my car:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
1,251 Posts
I kinda wish I didn't retire my scooter so soon in favour of my new project. I could have ridden it to work this morning (still -21, but will get up to -4 today) instead of taking an Uber. Sadly if my car didn't start when it was -23, it won't start at -21 especially after I drained it a little more and it got down to -29 last night.

It's supposed to snow tonight, get up to the 20s tomorrow, then 50 on Monday...or just normal Chicago weather for ya. lol

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Actual temperature at -30 this morning at 8:30 AM, the coldest ever recorded for Rockford, IL since they began keeping weather records in the 1800's. Fortunately I have not lost power, my furnace is keeping the house comfortable, and my garaged car starts up without a problem (haven't tried the other car that sits outside in the cold). I have a faucet running at a slow stream in the lower level of the house to help make sure the water lines do not freeze. I have found that a balaclava under the hood of my winter parka makes all the difference in the world, and with decent boots and gloves being outside for a short time is not a problem. Its a bit rougher on my little dog but she quickly does her business on the snow covered ground and runs back into the garage and I let her right back into the warm house. This is really some winter season here in the Midwest.

A few days ago, on the way to my daughter's home in the Quad Cities, my big SUV (a Dodge Durango) encountered a sudden covering of wind blown snow on the interstate and I slid right off the road into a deep snowbank in the highway median. Snow was up to the door handles and I could not move. Luckily a State Trooper came by within a few minutes and called a tow truck for me, so I was back on the road within an hour. Interesting that I had tried to call AAA, of which I have been a paying member for decades, and was told that the wait just to talk to someone to request roadside assistance would be 20 to 30 minutes and that all roadside assistance was delayed due to the "high volume of calls". I had to pay the local tow truck driver $150 to pull me out, and it was worth every penny to get out of that jam. And now AAA has said it will reimburse me for the cost of the local tow. Not a bit of damage to my vehicle, other than having the axles covered in snow and ice as well as the wheels full of snow which seemed to make the ride a big rougher. But all is well now.

Stay safe out there.

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
Dang vito, that certainly could have been much worse. Glad everything worked out so well.:thumbsup:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It's cold here in New England, but not like you guys have right now in the Midwest! Actually, it's not even as cold as it was a couple weeks ago here.

Stay warm!

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes. The slide off the road was a bit scary, and happened so unexpectedly. The speed limit on the road was 70, but few vehicles were going that speed. I was doing about 60, being cautious, and had driven through many of those wind blown sudden white coverings of the road, all without incident. But this happened on a wide curve, where the lane had been totally clear, and suddenly the wind blew a gust of snow onto the road and I felt the wheels lose their grip (despite new all season tires and all wheel drive). Fortunately there were no trees or other obstacles in the highway median so all I encountered was snow. It happened so smoothly that even my wife, who gets really shook up by things like this, was calm and okay throughout the slide and the resulting issues. When I drove back to Illinois by myself the next day I will admit that I took it more slowly and cautiously than I usually do and made it home without incident. A few days from now I make the trip again, to pick up my wife and bring her home.

Ironically, despite this cold weather and the snow on the ground, we are expecting possibly 40 degree weather by this weekend. A few days of that and the snow will be gone and rather than thinking about getting caught in a snow bank I will be thinking about uncovering the bike and firing it up for a ride.

Reactions: Porky

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s funny, I went out to take a walk and get coffee in the -21 yesterday morning, walked 4 or 5 blocks, the whole time I was thinking I wish I had my bike with me so I could have taken a ride in that just to say I did :)

I just got back home to Pennsylvania, the 15 degrees seemed balmy compared to the last 3 days in Chicago :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cmonSTART
1 - 20 of 21 Posts