Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found myself staying in more cheap motels than I'd care to admit.

So what's YOUR cheap motel storyline???

If they've got clean sheets, a TV, and a hot shower, what else really matters?

I'm not saying a Marriott isn't NICER, but... who can actually remember ANY motel room they've stayed in, other than a few NASTY ones -- where you should have immediately returned to the lobby and said, "No way."

It's when a cheap place is nicer than you expected....you're pleasantly surprised.

Of course, noisy neighbors, either coming in at bar time, or getting up at 5am can ruin the whole thing. So I always ASK for a room away from other guests, tell the clerk I'm "Really tired..."

Why is it NOBODY uses their "inside voices" outside motel rooms, or in hotel hallways, regardless whether they're the late arrivals or early departees? Guests typically show no, I mean ZERO respect for people who have already dozed off... or want to sleep in.

Wearing earplugs is the solution I've adopted....although it HAS caused me to oversleep a few times...

Being able to park the bikes right outside the window/door is always reassuring too... I see there's a new disk lock WITH 120db Alarm....THAT ought to deter thieves.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/xena-xx-6-disc-lock-with-alarm
Whoops! Bad reviews on that one!

Saw this picture on Imgur.....I really adore the old "Court" motels with the pool in the center, etc.

While looking for THAT, also found THIS:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
All the cheap motels here have all the mattresses outside, seems they didn't care to do anything about the bed bugs and are now empty except for the couple rooms they can keep clean.

·
American Legion Rider
20,494 Posts
Wife and I stayed in one in Haskell Texas. Should have gone on down the road but we had already gone two hours past what we wanted and was dead dog tired from fighting cross winds. Dirty dang place I never want to see again. Yuck yuck yuck!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ok, as most of you know, I tour the USA for 2 - 3 months at a time, with no up front plans, or any kind of GPS, apart from my trusty bubble compass stuck to my windscreen.
Yes I have slept in quite a few threadbare motels, and never ever had any problems with bedbugs.
However, in 2007, when I flew the Guzzi over, we were in a large chain hotel & conference center, around Toronto, for a couple of nights.
Due to traffic on the 401, we thought that we would probably get a break around 0400.
Set the alarm, and saw something shoot across the sheets, as we turned the light on.
Yup, Wz a bedbug, I put it in a glass, then poured boiling water on it.
Took it to the front desk, and the stingy buggers gave me a 50 % reduction, on the second night.
Ok, neither of us got bit, but it just goes to show, Bedbugs turn up, where you least expect them to !
Take Care Out There.
PS, if you are really worried, take one of those containers of Diatomaceous Earth with you and sprinkle on your luggage,bedding etc.
The razor sharp crystals, slice through the waxy coating on the bed bug, and it dies of dehydration. available at lowes wall mart etc.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My wife and I have had a couple bad experiences with cheap motels so we fork over the money for at least a three star hotel. One of the issues we had was the chemicals they use to clean the rooms, the smell was so bad we couldn't even stay in one place and had to hunt for another motel in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Me and the wife got caught in the middle of nowhere one night on our way back from Sturgis and found a dump but only choice,it was so nasty we had to lay a towel down in the bathtub to stand on to shower YUK!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Lord knows I've stayed in my share of fleabags. Feeling lucky I've never crossed path with bedbugs, that I'm aware of. Gross. Days Inn - Miami Aiport....OMG avoid that place at all cost.

In late summer 2011 I helped my sister move from ATL to PHX (I drove the 24-ft U-haul with her Tacoma on a trailer - never again) and up until then I'd never stayed in a Hampton Inn. It was late at night, and I didn't want any long, complicated trips off the highway with that rig I was driving, so when I saw the Hampton overlooking the highway, I took the exit. Thankfully, a nice, big parking lot with a whole empty section at the back.
That place was a pleasant surprise. I don't remember it being expensive, but the room was a sight for sore eyes. Huge glass & ceramic tile shower with a GOOD shower head, and a big beautiful, comfortable bed. Not a huge room, but for as nice as it was, it coulda been a closet and I wouldn't have noticed. Now that's the only chain we stay in when we travel, and they've all been consistently good.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
cbdallas, thanks for your endorsement of Hampton, I have never stayed in one, by may give it a try.

My wife and I have pretty much settled with Holiday Inn during our travels, they have been pretty consistent with nice clean rooms.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No, Thats the whole point !
While we are touring, we look for the old , Mom & Pop style Motels, where the bike is right outside the room, and the door is right there.
Some are great, some are bad, but at least, we know, we are somewhere different
Using the Chains, is always a Last Resort , for us.
They are all made out of Ticcy Tacky..... and they all look......just the same!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We've had a LOT of good luck staying in Bed&Breakfast joints during many of our recent trips. IMO they have more character than some shoebox hotel room, and so far so good with finding nice clean ones to stay in. Typically they cost less-or-equal to a cheap hotel, and include breakfast!

We use an app like TripAdvisor during our travels, and do rely on previous peoples ratings to find good ones. One week during a long meandering road trip we actually had NO pre-planned places to stay or even a driving destination the whole trip. Each day sometime in the afternoon we'd pop over to a McDonads or Dunkin Donuts to use their free wi-fi :D fire up TripAdvisor on our laptop/tablet & find our B&B for that evening, lol
Each day we did brace ourselves for a contingency plan to say at a boring hotel, but we lucked out big time every night!

You often meet the nicest people staying at B&B's :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am glad that it works for you.
But, I cannot get into that : B & B thing, I feel that I am intruding on someone else, and that does make me feel uncomfortable.
Whereas, in a Motel, Good or Bad, its your room,and I can relax.
But , hey, we are all different, and, if it works for you, BRILL :coffee:

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
You run into some interesting characters at cheap motels, drug dealers, gangsters, run aways, hookers, and the occasional individual that lives there. In all honesty Ive only stayed at those cheap pos places when I had a lady friend I didnt wanna take home.....

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Colorado Springs, CO, 2012, 4 couples on bikes, pulled into a very nice looking motel. The lobby was very nice. Rooms had doors to the outside so we could park our bikes in front of our rooms. We all commented how amazed we were that it was so cheap, $32.00 per room.

Got our keys and because it looked like it might rain we went to Texas Roadhouse for supper without actually going to our rooms first. Ate a wonderful meal. The downpour left about 1.5 feet of water in the roads that we had to ride thru to get the 4 blocks back to the motel and we could see another storm coming.

We went to find our rooms. One couple had one of the rooms on the front of the motel. The rest of our rooms were in the courtyard area. When we walked around the corner to the courtyard heads started popping out of rooms and we were watched all the way to our rooms.

Come to find out it was a homeless shelter and their rooms were $2.00 per night. They also had a nice laundry on sight that they let us use--free of charge. That is where we saw the list of charges and things that could be had. Meals on wheels $2.00 per day--which could be paid for with their food stamps, laundry free of charge, And if they needed transportation for medical, shopping or the "welfare office" there were certain days that was also provided.

Rooms were very clean and nice. The guard told us he would keep an eye on our bikes. Everyone there was very nice and caring. It was about like any 4 star motel we've ever stayed in. We still laugh about the night we stayed in the homeless shelter.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Stinky Room at America's Best Value Inn, Holbrook AZ

Got a cheap room in Holbrook last night. Went into the room and it smelled bad. As if sewer had overflowed onto carpet, or pet accident not properly cleaned up. Went back to the front desk and asked for another room. Clerk cheerfully gave me another, I think, upgraded room. All I had to do was ask and not get ugly. Wish I could remember that more often. $42 including tax AND a full breakfast at diner next door. Cant beat that with a stick. Had a fantastic ride from Heber to Payson, had one side of the 4-lane completely to myself for 50+ miles. Really leaned it over in the corners just wish I had a chase vehicle with a camera...

As I was checking in a very unsavory looking woman was having a "discussion" with some man in the parking lot and I thought, "Oh boy, here we go" but they got into the RV in the parking lot where they apparently lived (maintenance man & maid?) and never heard anything more. The breakfast at the diner was a step above the waffle machines at most hotels these days, and I got a few treats at the pawn store across the treat --- a 4mm allen 3/8" socket to take the tupperware off my bike, a test lead, some electrical connectors, a box cutter.... all for $5.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Next week I need to be in San Francisco for a meeting. Company booked me a room in the financial district, $380.00 a night. To me that is ridiculous, I don't know how some of these places justify their room rates. I'll bet this place isn't any better than Holiday Inn, or comparable hotel.

I think there is a balance between too cheap and too expensive, where that balance I'm not sure. I just know the cheap motels have a reputation of being dirty and in undesirable locations, I also know there are exceptions to that, but normally not many.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We used airBNB to get affordable housing in SF. Mentioned we had bikes and needed off street parking.The problem with expensive rooms is its no gurantee against noisy neighbors or bedbugs, even a room not being cleaned properly and smelling nice. The odds are better but when you lose, you're out a lot more $. Personally I find I do the best, bot rate AND room wise by being extremely nice to the front clerk AND asking for what I want --- e.g. "a room away from everybody else, one of your NICER rooms, ..." The clerk has no skin in the game other than being nice to those who are nice to him/her.

·
American Legion Rider
20,494 Posts
The wife and I neither one really like B&B's. Too much like staying with relatives which we also don't like. Much prefer being able to just get naked, grab and beer and watch a movie. Really can't do that staying with someone without them giggling.:D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I'll say it again, WE have had good luck at B&B's so far :D

But I do have restrictions about NOT staying at one where "the community bathroom is down the all" places.. lol. I want our own dam bathroom. And it better have at least a queen sized bed. And if it's slightly out of town all the better, unless it is a tiny town. My wife especially likes the ones that have (friendly) cats roaming around ;) .. you never get that staying at hotels LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts