Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I need some advice on a motorcycle from those more experienced than myself. Here is the deal.

I'm new to motorcycles. I have never really ridden before and have no experience with dirt bikes etc either. That being said I am buying my first bike in the next week or so (but won't be riding until after the MSF course in March) and will be ATGATT.

I have been looking around on the classifieds trying to find a nice used Ninja 250/300 or Ninja 500, GS500F or possibly a twin 600 (although I'd prefer 250-500 for a starter). During my search I found that a dealership that is only about 50 miles away has a few 2014 CBR 250R Repsols in stock - BRAND NEW for $3000.

Now I was totally set on buying used but for this price it just seems like a steal to me. Am I wrong? I have a lot of concern over dropping a brand spanking new bike (no matter how cheap) and busting up the fairings. Someone suggested that I buy the bike and just remove all the fairings for the first couple of months and ride it naked. Does this sound feasible???

Sorry if I sound like a complete newbie (I am) but I figured this would be the better place to ask.

Any opinions please? It seems like a great deal to me and if I could ride the bike okay without the fairings for the first couple months it really seems to me almost like I'd be kinda dumb to pass it up. I really don't know.

Thanks in advance for the opinions/suggestions!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You might be able to find frame-mounted sliders for that model. That might help a little for a low-speed drop, but expect at least some damage if the motorcycle tips over.

I'm not sure what is involved with removing the plastics on that model. Things like wiring and the cooling system may depend on the fairings for support, making removal troublesome.

A first motorcycle has a good chance of getting scraped up. Not all of them do, but it's common.

The second motorcycle has the largest odds of crashing, likely because it's heavier and more powerful, and the rider can get comfortable enough to relax their alertness and take more risks. That's something to keep in mind for a year or two later. Don't drop your guard.

·
Ace Tuner
2,935 Posts
If you like the Honda, buy it. And soon as you get it home take a key and scratch the fairing.
That way it's already got its ding and you'll probably never drop it.

Or removing the plastic might work. Just be sure to remove ALL the clip nuts and other stuff that could fall off without the plastic to keep it in place.

Do they make frame sliders for that model? Those can offer some protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did a quick search and it appears there are some people making frame sliders for this model. Found one set of "no cut" sliders for $150 but being that I found them on E-bay I'm not sure what to think of them.

My post count isn't high enough to leave a link to them but I will look around some more and do some more research. I might take a trip up there tonight after work and sit on the bike to make sure that it feels "right". I guess its possible I could go sit on the bike and just hate it (but I kinda doubt that).

Another local dealer also has a Ninja 300 SE for $4000 brand new (2014 also I believe) but as much as I LOVE that bike (I've sat on it.....a few times :biggrin: ) I think it is just a little more than I want to spend on my first ever bike. But the FI,ABS and upgraded clutch (although I honestly don't know the difference between bike clutch styles) really make it all that much more desirable to me. Unfortunately what I really desire and what my tax return can handle might not quite see eye to eye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts