Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start it's a '99 Suzuki SV650, carb'd. I've had it for over a year with no issues.

My battery is not keeping a charge after I ride it for maybe 20 miles or so. Last week I rode it about 20 miles then took it for another 10 mile trip and it wouldn't start back up. Have to love pulling off the seat and getting a jump in front of a bar at midnight.

I put it on a tending trickle charger frequently and it charges to just under 13 volts.

Today I pulled out the multimeter and tested it. fully charged = 13 volts.

I started it up, warmed it up and measured the idle voltage = 13.6

Then I revved it, expecting it to go up to 13.8, 14 or so. The voltage continually dropped the more I revved it. All the way down to about 13.2.

This seems to me like it's either a stator problem or voltage regulator. Do you guys have any recommendations for what it is? I'm not too familiar with bike repair. How difficult is it to replace these things? I have an EE degree and have done a fair amount of electrical work on my cars and boat.

Thanks

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
Sounds to me like the charging system is working fine. I would say it's the battery or you have an amperage draw on the battery while the ignition is off. I would check for a draw and if checked good have the battery load tested.

·
Gadget Freak
339 Posts
As the rev's go up, the draw on the electrical system goes up.

So you definitely have an issue with the charging system.

You need to get resistance specs for the charging coils and such.

But let me tell you, more parts have been replaced that were functioning but had a loose connection then not. the act iof changing the component fixed the bad connection, and the owner thought he fixed it with the new part.

So check connections, grounds, everywhere. Re move and clean battery terminals.

The vibration at higher RPM may cause a loose connection to be "looser".

Also, replace fuses. I've had a couple of bad fuses that looked and tested O.K., but were actually broken inside and created intermittent connections.

Good Luck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yesterday when you tested it with the multimeter and it read 13v, was that right after you pulled the trickle charger off it or did it sit with the charger off it for awile? I think it may be a loose connection or a bad regulator, but its a good idea to check the battery as a bad battery can cause regulators and other charging system parts to go bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Late follow up. I tested the draw. With nothing hooked up the bike was pulling about 0.5 mA. I figured this was nominal.

I had the battery tested and it tested just inside the "bad" category. So I replaced it. I haven't had any problems since. Although the comments about increasing voltage while revving still have me concerned. I guess I should check the voltage again to see if the battery was the only problem or if I have another issue.

I've put about 200 miles on it without charging and it starts strong every time.

When I tested it the first time, it was right after I pulled the charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts