Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!, I have a 2003 Harley Heritage Classic, I also have a Samsung Galaxy III Cell Phone, frequently my cell battery is dead when I have taken a long ride . I am looking for a safe way to charge the Cell battery as I ride ( With phone off of course) I went to local Harley Dealer where the Parts guy suggessted a USB cable /Adapter that would connect to my Battery tender cable on my bikes battery. My question is this, is there a danger of overcharging the cell phone Battery if I use this arrangement?? I know I could get the Universal Power supply cable which would also fit my Battery Tender cable then purchase a Car Charger to plug into that etc. etc. The USB Cable direct seems to be a simple solution, I am just worried if that is a "Controlled/regulated method? I looked and it seems I could just put the charging cables in my saddlebag as I ride keeping it and my cellphone safe. Any comments?,Thoughts?
Thanks
Ed

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
My wife uses a USB cable of some sort that attaches to her battery tender hook-up. She's never had a problem with it over charging and just plops it into her saddlebag when we're riding.

The USB cable she has is specifically made for that. I can ask her what kind it is if you'd like.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I use a cigarette-lighter style adapter than plugs into the battery tender connection. That way any charger/power supply that can be used in a car can also plug into the motorcycle.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO[/ame]

That's probably the easiest solution.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
That's what I did - just a cigarette lighter added to the fairing. My phone has a dash mount on my handlebars (so I can use the GPS when I travel), but you could easily route it to a saddlebag. The advantage to the cigarette lighter is that you can also drive most any accessory (such as air pumps, etc.) from that, too.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I mounted a cigarette lighter/USB plug in a small compartment on the front of my bike. But I mostly use the one I mounted in one of my hard bags. I used the battery tender plug so I can take the bags on and off. I just don't care for having wires running every which way while riding. Never had a problem overcharging them.

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
Does your bike have a cigarette lighter. I use one of these USB plugs to keep my iPhone charged using it's cable. I just can;t tell if your model has one. If not then out a battery tender pigtail on your battery and get the plug Dodsfall suggests.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I looked at a cord that the bike shop that plugs into my battery tender/cigarette adapter. I'll be purchasing one this season.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I put a Kuryakyn Power Point on my handlebars. Put an adapter on to be able and plug my phone and XM Radio into.

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
I don't know if there is a power reduction in this or not but if you are going off a battery tender pigtail, you might want to stick with a battery tender USB pigtail.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife uses a USB cable of some sort that attaches to her battery tender hook-up. She's never had a problem with it over charging and just plops it into her saddlebag when we're riding.

The USB cable she has is specifically made for that. I can ask her what kind it is if you'd like.
Hey Eye!!:biggrin:
Yeah, The more I think about it,I like the simple USB option, that way I have a minimum of things plugged in.So...I guess the CellPhone has a built in "Charging regulator" so the phone doesnt over charge?:confused: Or....does the USB somewhow control the amperage?? :confused:

Did Mrs. Eye get her USB cable at local Harley store? They seem to have quite a few along with the adapter cable that connects to the Battery tender Cable
I thought about the Universal 12 Powers supply w/ a Car Charger also but will pass on that for now, maybe later Ill include that in my Saddlebags too.:)
Thanks Everyone!!
Ed

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I just installed a cig lighter plug fused direct from the battery. I then changed the battery tender to a male plug and just plug it into the cig lighter plug.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,134 Posts
Cigarette lighter mounted on the handlebars feed directly from the battery. I use a double USB plugin for the phone and GPS

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a cigarette lighter fitting in the fairing pocket on my ST1100, I use the car charger/micro USB adapter to charge my phone while riding.

I also carry a very small tire inflator air compressor in my pannier and it has the cigarette lighter compatible fitting on it. So I plug the compressor in to the connection on my bike, connect the fitting to the tire, start the bike and sit back while the tire pressure comes up.

Funny how we refer to this fitting as the cigarette lighter fitting, new cars here don't come with a cigarette lighter in the fitting you have to go to an auto store and buy one if you want to smoke.

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
They've actually pretty much stopped calling it a cigarette lighter plug here and most now call it an accessory plug. About time!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The accessory plugs shouldn't be used for cigarette lighters, even though they will fit. They aren't made to withstand the heat and probably the electric draw.

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
The accessory plugs shouldn't be used for cigarette lighters, even though they will fit. They aren't made to withstand the heat and probably the electric draw.
I think that's why the specifically state on them someplace that they are accessory plugs versus cigarette plug. My point being the cigarette plug has been replaced by the accessory plug on most newer vehicles. Not any where did I suggest using an accessory plug FOR a cigarette lighter. At least I didn't think I did.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I have a powerport on my triple tree, I throw the phone in my tank bag and use the usb cord. I know they have the same basic set up for battery tender leads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts