Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has been in Florida since a week ago Sunday, and is coming home this coming Thursday. I haven't ridden the bike since a week ago yesterday.

Partly because of the weather, and partly because I'm skiddish about taking it to work, after the LAST "it won't start" episode.

I feel fairly confident .............well........that's a lie. I feel more unsure of the bike, after that last "it won't start" incident, (which I believe was a loose Negative Battery connection) and don't want to get stuck at work again.

I COULD have ridden it some, this past weekend, but I didn't. No excuse. I just didn't. THIS coming weekend, I'll probably take it for a ride though.

Not much of a topic here, I know...........but I'm workin towards one. It isn't a lack of "love" for riding. But I think I am just on "riding overload," since I DID a lot of riding since March.

Let's see.......I rode almost every day since about March 10th of this year. So that's seven months of riding, after 10 years off. There is STILL some more beautiful riding (the tree colors are really popping now) ahead, and I see myself taking a few more weekend jaunts.

There's a fella at work who I have been Mentoring in motorcycle riding. Worked him thru getting his License, his first bike, and getting used to taking care of his bike. He told me the other day that he doesn't want to ride to work anymore, because he "can't see just riding it to work and leaving it in the Parking Lot at work every day." (Personally, I think he's just burning out because of the cold mornings).

When is enough, "enough?" That's a question that everyone has to answer for themselves. My "enough" is coming, but it ain't here yet.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I found my limit as far as cold weather goes. Came hime friday nighy when it was 42 degrees. I shivered all the way home and took me 2 hours of hiding under electric blankie to warm back up. I had a pair of spandwx pants on covered over with my pair of flannel lined ll bean jeans. Tshirt and sweatshirt covered over with a flanell shirt and my leather jacket with liner. Gloves and bandana over face. I dont think i can dress any warmer but i just couldnt take the cold.

As far as burning out.....hell...im just getting started. Its going to kill me to put bike away

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Dress warmer.

I enjoy riding in the cold. It does make a difference to have a high wind screen. I dress about like Zippy does and then add arctic heavy duty coveralls and that is fine to about 15 degrees. I have ridden in freezing fog,but that was a bad idea when my helmet iced up and I could not see.

On the coldest days it really seems to help to ride right after coming right out of the shower and have fresh clothing next to your skin. My coldest long ride as a ninety miler trip to Harbor Freight to pick up a tool. The ride started at 35 and the ride back was 25 F. The sun was setting and the entire sky and everything around me was bathed in the magic sepia of golden light. Then the school bus came toward me followed by a string of cars. Right out of the movie Hoosiers it was. Bartonia Restaurant looks the same as it did in the 60's and that cup or three of coffee completed the perfect little road trip

Road salt on wet or dry roads keeps the bike in the garage,but not much else.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Your wife is coming home Thursday?

Biketoberfest starts Thursday. Tell her to stay a few extra days, detour through Daytona, and have some fun for you.

:)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
When my wife is gone for a week I use that as an excuse for many things, not getting on the bike ain't one of them. Things like not answering the phone, not being available to be called into work, being out past 8pm, spending money, are done on the excuse of wife being gone......last time I bought a '10 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic when she was gone.

Last year, being the first year for 7 yrs that I've been able to do anything, I wasn't ready for cold weather. But I managed to survive down to 40*, this year I bought insulated bibs, got some velcro straps to wrap around at the boot(didn't work very well) and wife made me some pant bungees(helps the velcro straps).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Still not tired of riding. I have over 20K miles since mid April and plan to get another 4 -5 K before old man winter shuts me down. We rode 750 miles last weekend and the temps didn't get above 55° all weekend. When we left Saturday AM it was 31° but warmed up to 45° after an hour. Quality riding gear and a heated jacket make all the difference in the world riding in cold weather.

Zippy, 2 hours to warm up suggests you might have gotten or been close to hypothermia which is not a good situation to be in. It happened to me a few years back and I almost rear ended a car when I was cold. Didn't feel it come on at all and was lucky to just miss the car. I bought a heated jacket the next week. I wouldn't be without one again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been riding to work almost every day since 2005.It started with my DR650 on occasion, decided to by a new Sportster and in 9 months and over 12K,bought a 2007 Dyna SuperGlide . 105K and 5 years, bought a lightly used 2010 Street Glide.
I will ride to work unit the temp hits around 35. I know , I live in the phoenix area, but I leave for work by 05:00. I put on my taller windshield, lower covers and anything below 50, long johns. I layer up, and off I go.
I ride almost every weekend, until the temps start staying over 105. You can head north, but you still have to come home.
Now, it is around 60 for my AM ride to work and 90 on the way home. I love AZ. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dress warmer.

I have ridden in freezing fog,but that was a bad idea when my helmet iced up and I could not see.
There's an app for that....
Actually, I have a defroster wired to my winter visor. Had to use it maybe 5 times per year (I try to ride every month of the year).

As for the cold, for me, the heated jacket liner and heated glove liner does the trick. I also have heated gloves, but haven't had the need (14 years in CT) to power up both at the same time yet.

As for riding "how much is enough" for me, it's a mental issue. Obviously, I'll do a risk assessment (weather, condition of bike, where/what I'm going and/or doing, etc.) but the most important final check for me is whether I am "there" or not. If I'm preoccupied, unsettled, mentally working a problem, or otherwise not in the "here and now" then I would forgo the ride, irrespective of the other factors. As a rider (especially one that does 80% high speed freeway, year-round) if I'm not mentally prepared, I'm just asking for trouble....

Stay safe...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Oh, you're going to hate me!

Here in tropical Australia, we're finally coming out of the cold of winter. Over winter it's averaged daily highs in the mid-20s, and that's degrees C (high 70s deg F).

Now it's getting a little warmer, today will be 29 or 30 C ( + or - 85 F) and it's only the middle of spring.

Only trouble is that's it gets a bit more humid and hotter yet over the summer (December to February) and summer is called "the Wet" because it rains so much. Bureau of Meteorology says we might see 3 or 4 cyclones this year along the Queensland coast (they're called cyclones in the southern Pacific, typhoons in the north Pacific, and hurricanes in the Atlantic).

But there'll still be riding to be done between storms, in fact taking a ride is the best way of cooling down.

Last weekend we went out and bought a mesh jacket and mesh gloves for my wife as she's found her winter jacket and leather gloves were getting too hot.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
if I'm not mentally prepared, I'm just asking for trouble....

Stay safe...
True that!! I was frustrated today dealing with Health Insurance idiots on the phone today. Enough so that I slammed my cell phone to the ground and smashed the screen. Gone are the days of finding joy slamming down the receiver on someone. If I had gotten on my bike while my redheaded temper was acting up, it probably would't have been a good outcome.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Zippy, you need to protect yourself first. I you have an open bike, one with no fairing, you will be doing well if you can get comfortable at 45F. I ride down to about 15F but I have a bike with an excellent fairing, wear my HD FXRG jacket, use lined jeans and have both a seat heater and grip heaters. On a "standard" I would not even try riding below about 40F even with my riding gear.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My bike is open so it doesn't provide any wind protection. Knowing what my limitations are now, I now look at the weather forcast, and if its going to be 50 or under, I'm probably not going to ride. I did not like shivering, cause it caused the bike to shiver. Also, my concentration wasn't where it should have been cause I was too busy shivering. I stopped for a hot cup of coffee, and that did help some. Shivering is a sign your body makes to tell you it's getting close to the danger zone, and when you stop shivering, well, you are in that zone now and there is no going back. I learned my lesson that night.

I'm one of these types of people that I'm usually cold, unless I'm working or doing something. In winter, you can almost always find me under my blankie. I've been known to bring my blankie to work, and when it's time to go out for a smoke, I'm under my blankie smoking. The guys laugh at me, but I'm not the one shivering so bad you can't enjoy the smoke.....

·
Registered
245 Posts
This week, with the possible exception of Thursday, is a good week to ride. The weather is warm, but not hot.

Next week will be cooler.

Today I had to "summer" it (unzipped the vents in my leathers).

A bit windy, but my 500lbs lard of a bike took it all in stride...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Wilmi, I have no idea why you think that is a heavy bike. Mine weighs in at close to 900 lb and is a bit of a lard ass but a 500 lb bike is one I could just toss around. I suppose it is a case of perspectives.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, perspectives...I've been on a 600cc supersport for the past 5 years...now I'm on a VFR800...100 lbs heavier and the silly VTEC...downshifting just to take a hill at speed takes some getting used to...but much better in crosswinds...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts