Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

I just picked up a 98 VFR 800 and have noticed a weird noise coming from the chain. I checked tension and found it a little loose so I adjusted it. Put it up on the center stand to find that when the master link goes around the front or rear cog it seems not to fit quite right. I think it's a little long as when it goes around the cog it pulls in the link on either side and all of a sudden the chain is super tight???. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming it must be an issue with the wrong link on my chain. Chain is relatively new and the wear indicator is a long way from being worn. I'm hoping to confirm the issue before I bring it to the shop and loose it for a week.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Super tight is not good. You should measure the slack from the tightest position when adjusting.

If the link is not fitting down on the sprocket properly, you probably should replace it before riding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Change both sprockets, front and rear, and chain.

Always is better to change both sprockets and chain at same time. If you put only chain or only sprockets, they will wear out faster due to wear on the other pieces. I would go for JT sprockets and DID chain (they are good quality). Forget about brands like VOLAR, they wear out and stretch too soon.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Sounds like the master link is 'binding' when it goes over the sprockets, er cogs.
If the master link is a rivet type it was probably put on incorrectly (too tight) or it's the wrong one for your chain.
I may get some arguments about this but if the master link is a clip type, that's wrong all by itself.
Yeah, you should fix that before you ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts