Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
CB125R 2018 (Model Code: CBF125NAJ)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I hope you're having a nice time.

A new day, a new problem. I have successfully split my chain for the first time. It has been shortened to the desired length and my chain breaker tool has suffered no damage. However, upon trying to fit the new link, it appeared that its pins don't fit inside the bushes of my chain. Please look at provided image:

A lot of numbers will follow. Be prepared for fidgety reading. Please note that this chain belongs to a Honda CB125R 2018.

The old pin seems to have a diameter of 4mm, while the new link has pins of 5mm. I don't have tools to shrink the diameter of the pins.

The link I tried fitting was a D.I.D 428VX clip-style link. I was able to choose from:
  • D
  • HD
  • NZ
  • V
  • VX -> I picked this one.
I have now consulted this chart and saw that the only 428 chain types that would fit in terms of pin diameter (aka. 4mm) are:
  • D
  • HD
  • NZ -> for 100cc max, I ride a 125cc.
So only two options remain. However, my chain is an x-ring chain, while D and HD are standard non-o-ring chains. Another worry is that the chart says HD pins have a length of 18.9mm, while the pin I pulled is 20mm across its non-rivetted parts. The VX chain type is better in terms of both these issues:
  • VX is x-ring
  • VX has a pin length of 20.7mm, still no match, but... better?
BUT VX DOESN'T FIT BECAUSE THE PINS ARE TOO THICK. 馃槨

I'm starting to think Honda has some kind of proprietary chain model so customers are forced to visit shops. I couldn't find a matching piece ANYWHERE. They call the chain on my bike a 428VI3 after all, and I couldn't find the meaning of "VI3" either. Conclusion: I will simply close the chain back up using its original links, and when the time comes, switch the entire chain over to a D.I.D 428VX.

Thanks for reading my little report/rant.

Registered
O-ring chains are wider to make room for the rubber rings, if the master is too narrow you have a regular roller chain master link.

Registered
Ok, here's the thing, your bike needs a 428 roller chain.
Any designation (if there is one) describes something extra they are trying to sell you.
Regular roller chain that you clean and lubricate regularly is frequently sold as "race" chain because it is lighter and actually rolls easier then a maintenance free (sealed link) chain. Also almost half the price of a sealed chain.

What you don't want to buy is "farm" chain which is super cheap but has split rollers like bird bands.

If you buy sealed chain, they are trying to sell you different styles of rubber o-rings or X-rings. You always need the master links to exactly match the chain you choose and seal rings for the master should come with it.

Registered
CB125R 2018 (Model Code: CBF125NAJ)
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... What you don't want to buy is "farm" chain which is super cheap but has split rollers like bird bands. ...
Yeah, I always look for solid bushes. I just think it's strange I seem to find no compatible links/clip links anywhere. Right?:unsure:

I just came back from fixing it using original parts, and it works fine. Tension's perfect now, sounds better too. No more clickety-clack.

Registered
I've used both heavy duty and regular, the side plates on the HD chain are thicker, to be honest, it would be over-kill to use HD chain on a light bike.
Keep an eye on your wheel bearings for any detectable play, they are cheap and easy to replace and make a huge difference in handling and braking performance if you keep them good. Same with steering head bearings.

Registered
Ok, here's the thing, your bike needs a 428 roller chain.
Any designation (if there is one) describes something extra they are trying to sell you.
Regular roller chain that you clean and lubricate regularly is frequently sold as "race" chain because it is lighter and actually rolls easier then a maintenance free (sealed link) chain. Also almost half the price of a sealed chain.

What you don't want to buy is "farm" chain which is super cheap but has split rollers like bird bands.

If you buy sealed chain, they are trying to sell you different styles of rubber o-rings or X-rings. You always need the master links to exactly match the chain you choose and seal rings for the master should come with it.
I had a chain issue while on a trip by Pecos, Texas and bought a 50 farm chain master link to replace the lost 530. Lasted the until I got home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts