Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and girls,

I'm new on motorcycle forum, I'm a user on Kawasaki Versys forum (I have a Versys 650)

I'm a mechanical engineer in aerospace, rider and inventor.

As a chain driven bike rider, I always hated the chain cleaning maintenance. So much so that on my first chain I did almost 0 cleaning... and had to change the chain at 19k km.
But when I saw the difference it makes a new chain, I had to start doing it....
I looked for best methods.... cardboard, spray, brush, mess, gunk, muck, dirty hands, dirty bike, back pain, soiled driveway, pollution, time consuming, not effective, expensive spray..... just usual...

I wanted to have a new tool and method to make it easy, fast, mess free and less polluting (save the environment)..... big dreams ;)

The best method I've seen is to clean the chain into a bath of solution, to make sure the cleaning is complete, not only on the outside of the links, like the normal method and tools do presently, but the inside around the O-Rings to protect them. But I didn't want to take the chain off every 500km...
I had a few prototypes, a few fails, but in the end.... I designed a new tool and method: ChainBath.

Here is the video I made with my 3D printed prototype:
BEST way to clean your chain mess free: ChainBath

Here is a Before / After photo with the chain cleaned by just "walking" the bike:

Before-After.jpg

In the beginning I used WD40, now I use kerosene, cheap, effective and recommended by most chain manufacturers.
The attachment I used uses the rear spool, but it could use a different method to universally attach to the swing arm.
It has an option to have bristles inside for dirtier chains, for my street use I didn't find it necessary.

I'm not selling anything, I'm trying to find a company to license my idea and bring it to riders that had it with the "normal" way of cleaning the chain.

Would you like to use this new tool and method?

Thanks!

·
Nightfly
4,135 Posts
Seems like a good workable idea. I do think some sort of brush would help even more. Difficult to see how clean it really got in the cracks and crevices. Once clean, what is your method of applying lubricant to a clean chain?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
The brush is optional and possible. As I said, I didn't find it necessary on my street riding style.

There is an advantage over every other chain cleaners available: while all the others are cleaning on the straight line between sprockets, and the links are not rotating relative to one another, ChainBath uses the position where the chain goes around the rear sprocket, and links have relative rotation, while submerged in solution.
It's just like you will rotate the links to clean it when in a bath of solution.

There are many riders that think the lubrication of the chain is made in the factory, with grease contained inside the links by the O-rings. This is where the friction happens. The role of a good cleaning is to protect the O-rings (or X-rings) from damage from dirt, muck and other objects. Once the O-rings are damaged, the chain is compromised and no quantity of external lube will make it work well.
Some riders only use WD40 to clean the chain, with no lubrication and have 50k+ miles on one chain.
I personally think that a good, often cleaning helps the chain more than external lubrication.

But ChainBath is mainly made to clean the chain easy, fast, mess free. You can use any method of lubrication after the chain is cleaned and dry.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I agree with TR. Install some sort of brush on your invention. Even with street riding, you're going to get dirt and grit in places where it shouldn't be. I think that what you have there is a wonderful idea. You have a solid working prototype. Now go see a patent lawyer and get yourself covered. After that, hit up the Motorcycle parts mfgs and chain makers. Or maybe a marketing company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for feedback.

The advantage of submerging the chain completely in cleaning solution is that 100% of the surfaces will be in solution.
It is already patent pending and I'm looking for a manufacturer to license it, but I don't have contacts in the industry.
Any manufacturer contacts in mind?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks!
I'm an inventor with ideas in different fields, I don't have contacts in every field.
I would really appreciate any contact ;)

·
Nightfly
4,135 Posts
Cold contacting is difficult and hard to get the attention of the right people. Those who quit never succeed. As someone else said, develop it to a final product, get your patent secured and just keep trying. If you believe in it and have enough bank to do it, them have some made, look for a distributor and try and have some sales. On line is your best bet in the beginning. Try to become affiliated with motorcycle shops both locally, and if that works, take if from there. And then there is always Shark Tank. If they like you and the product, you never know what can happen. Don't say you can't do it.... You can do it, you can make if you try...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is very hard to license an idea..... ask me how I know ;)
I did license my Shrinkable Sofa, available now at major retailers in USA.
I also have a new hand tool idea, Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool that I'm still looking for a manufacturer to license.
And many ideas still working on.

You don't need a granted patent to bring an idea to the market, and also a final product, a manufacturer could have different idea or manufacturing technology.
But a good contact is sometimes very important.

·
Nightfly
4,135 Posts
I agree, having a license agree is not always possible, and when you do you will probably lose some control. A provisional patent can be beneficial as it keeps you from spending the money for a complete patent for 12 months. As a musician and song writer I have to decide if I need to copyright any of my material. Usually anything I send to certain people for possible use it is a good idea to have said song copyrighted. Otherwise they may lay around without doing so for a long time. Copyrighting is not expensive as obtaining a patent. And as you said may not always be necessary. Good luck. I think you chain idea is a good one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe try this company, they have creative accessories for bikes:

The owner also posts on the StromTrooper forum under the name richlandrick

·
American Legion Rider
20,613 Posts
If you can make your own product and start selling it yourself, if that product is any good at all, the big guys will come knocking on your door. So you have to protect yourself up front. Take a screenshot of your idea and product on this post. That will give you a timestamp of the idea if you don’t have any other proof of your product idea.

Sometimes the simple solution to a daily or weekly problem will bring customers to you. I have a very neat solution I purchased from another rider that I was about to do myself. But he did the trial and error patch and already had the very few parts needed as a package, so instead of me wasting time and material, I just purchased his. But like you, I suggested he patented it. I believe he was able to find a manufacturer to get the needed “kits” for the demand that followed. And the demand was there. I’m not sure whatever came off the guy and his product but I’m sure it was all a big headache.

Good luck is all I can offer.(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have a patent pending on the ChainBath, as I have a few other patents and patent pending in different fields.
Thanks for the tips, I'm looking for contacts with motorcycle accessory manufacturers to license it, I don't have means to manufacture this.

I might try a Kickstarter campaign at one point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi hogcowboy,

I tried to answer to your conversation but I get an error message and it won't let me.
Thanks for your time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts